PDA

View Full Version : Mackie 'vs' Soundcraft ?

anode
18-07-2006, 09:01 PM
in the not too distant future i will be buying an Analogue Mixer.

at this point im thinkn Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO , the 24 would be nice but probably a bit outa my price range...

what do you reckon is the SOUND difference between Mackie and Soundcraft?

im using analogue mono synths (101,202,303) and a EMU E6400 Ultra Sampler.

cheers :)

RDR
19-07-2006, 11:00 AM
MC202? Wicked piece of kit...

As for sound quality... there are people who rate mackie far more than rate soundcraft. Particularly at this level of production.

For my 2p i think it really depends on the quality of the sounds going in, and you can get really good quality mix using a soundcraft.

Perhaps you might be better off looking at the specifications of each one and seeing which fits your needs better. Bear in mind you might want to use the desk to work not only in the studio, but also in the live environment.

Does it have all the inputs you need? What about the EQ's? Have you read user reviews? Reliability? Future studio expansion.

force
19-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I really prefere the soundcraft to be honest.
Some friends of mine had a mackie 32:8:4, sold it and bought a soundcraft ghost.

Well,..... the difference was quite noticable#

Sorry to add to your confusion

RDR
19-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Sorry to add to your confusion

No you're not...

:lol: ;)

anode
19-07-2006, 02:04 PM
well 16ch 4aux send should be cool.

the sampler has 16 Outs but i cant really see myself using all of em...ive got a DP/4 for effects so like i said 4aux send/return is sweet...im just curious as to the actuall 'sound' the mixer gives the gear...like is one warmer than the other etc...it would be used for both studio and live.

the ghost is out of the question...i guess the spirit folio is what i was thinkin of next to the mackie.

force
19-07-2006, 08:48 PM
yea, the ghost is pricey.

I guess its just a case of listen and make a choice

fresh_an_funky_design
20-07-2006, 12:59 AM
i prefer the mackie's myself, particuarly in the cheaper price range. i think the 1604 is a lot better than a simiarly priced soundcraft. however the more expensive soundcrafts are nice. if your buying 2nd hand have a look at the allen & heath desks

anode
20-07-2006, 05:49 AM
thanks for the help guys. i will of course be listening to the mixers myself with my own ears;)

just nice to get a few opinions...

dodgyedgy: yep, MC-202!

dirty_bass
21-07-2006, 04:05 PM
everyone in techno says mackie mackie mackie yada yada yada

Mackie are cool, but they have a very common sound, and I find the EQ`s a little too sharp and digital sounding.

Prefer the soundcraft as I think they have just a touch more character, but, it`s down to your ears really.

RDR
21-07-2006, 07:29 PM
everyone in techno says mackie mackie mackie yada yada yada

Mackie are cool, but they have a very common sound, and I find the EQ`s a little too sharp and digital sounding.

Prefer the soundcraft as I think they have just a touch more character, but, it`s down to your ears really.

Aye.. isnt it always the case with things like this steve... :lol:

FILTERZ
25-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I have a mackie 32-8 and it f*cked up pretty quickly , their build quality has gone down hill for me in the last few years , a friend has a soundcraft which has lasted for years with no problems , i do like the sound of my mackie though .

anode
25-07-2006, 01:58 PM
FILTERZ - what were you doin with it, takin it out on the road yer?

im lookin at a 2nd hand 24/4 at the moment see what it goes for...

FILTERZ
26-07-2006, 10:48 AM
FILTERZ - what were you doin with it, takin it out on the road yer?

im lookin at a 2nd hand 24/4 at the moment see what it goes for...

Well mine and a friends had teething troubles almost as soon as they were out of the box , both lost a channel to the demon crackling and his meter bridge f*cked up , he sent his back for repair but i didn`t want to be without my mixer so suffer it to this day .
However a second hand one will have been tested out and may well have had any minor problems fixed . It seems to me that if they go wrong they go wrong when nearly new and as long as you are thorough when testing any purchase you should be ok .

MARKEG
26-07-2006, 05:19 PM
i love the mackie. it's been my desk of choice for the last 10-15 years. you can really push the levels on a mackie - clipping on a mackie makes a very unique sound - and really sweet eq too. used a few soundcrafts in my time and really don't like them.....

i'd say 1604 vl all the way, although i bought the ony-x recently and it rocks even more!!!

anode
27-07-2006, 01:08 PM
ahh strike that, i was thinkn of the cfx..

anode
27-07-2006, 01:10 PM
oh yer and was i dreaming...or can u get little 'stoppers' to put in the slot of a fader chanel to bring the fader to a certain point, (make sense haha..?) rather than using a blob of blu-tak?

Slink
28-07-2006, 01:42 AM
I work on Mackies but I own a Ghost - Mark, I'd have to disagree with you, if you push the levels on a ghost it's rich and dirty, it also has upper and lower mid full parametric eq's, much nicer than the Mackie. In my opinion, of course. And it's only really at the Ghost level and up that things get good with soundcraft, whereas you seem to get a little more bang for your buck at the lower end of the price spectrum with Mackies.

Tough call though, I'd have to say go and listen to both and decide for youself. Then buy a Ghost :)

RDR
28-07-2006, 01:58 AM
what are those 'legal costs' your site speaks about?

holotropik
29-07-2006, 01:33 PM
i recently converted to mackie (onyx).
I like it, warm but sharp....if thats possible.
Quality has been great so far.

Dont much go for the soundcraft. Personal taste thing.

tekara
31-07-2006, 07:38 AM
i had a chance to use both.

I would say go for the allen and heath mixwizard series and forget both mackie and soundcraft in that price range. The a/h is great for all around mixer for both studio and live environment. I could scream GHOST GHOST GHOST, but knowing that you probably dont want to spend thousands on a desk, i would say give the mixwizards a shot.

Great EQ's too!

machina
31-07-2006, 08:14 AM
I second the mixwizard idea - i think they are much nicer sounding that both mackie's and soundcraft... maybe a little more expensive though...

machina

FILTERZ
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
i love the mackie. it's been my desk of choice for the last 10-15 years. you can really push the levels on a mackie - clipping on a mackie makes a very unique sound - and really sweet eq too. used a few soundcrafts in my time and really don't like them.....

i'd say 1604 vl all the way, although i bought the ony-x recently and it rocks even more!!!

303`s sound nice through overloaded mackie channels

278d7e64a374de26f==