PDA

View Full Version : any recommendations on a hard drive??

stjohn
25-07-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10096

theres the bunch...
i would like an Sata hd anyway.

are samsung any use??

rhythmtech
25-07-2006, 09:31 PM
i'd go for western digital. good hardrive at a decent price.. dont go for anything below 7200 rpm.

xfive
25-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Seagate are the quietest.

Spire
26-07-2006, 09:19 AM

most quiet, not quietest, or goodest or bestest

Spire
26-07-2006, 09:20 AM
i have a seagate, and it is definitely much more quiet than my last one. too bad my x850 is loud as **** though :\

lau
26-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I have two western digitals( both 13.000 rpm) linked so the pc thinks its just one....

works just fine for me.... fast as fuk

RDR
26-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I have two western digitals( both 13.000 rpm) linked so the pc thinks its just one....

Where did you get them from and how much did they cost you? Are they SCSI?

lau
26-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I have no clue on how pc's work or anything that has to do with it....

lol my friend build this pc for me.... they are Serial ATA linked together or however that works lol... ( no SCSI)

Dunno what I paid for em tho... think I got em through tweakers.net

xfive
26-07-2006, 02:44 PM

most quiet, not quietest, or goodest or bestest

Oh really...

qui·et
adj. qui·et·er, qui·et·est

1. Making little or no noise: quiet neighbors; a quiet engine.
2. Free of loud noise; hushed: a quiet street.
3. Calm and unmoving; still: a quiet lake.
4. Free of turmoil and agitation; untroubled. See Synonyms at still1.
5. Restful; soothing: a quiet afternoon nap; a quiet tune on the flute.
6. Tranquil; serene: a quiet place in the country.
7. Not showy or garish; subdued: a room decorated in quiet colors.
8. Restrained in style; understated: a quiet strength; a quiet life.

Sorry grammar police, you lose.

xfive
26-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Where did you get them from and how much did they cost you? Are they SCSI?

Those are WD Raptor 10K rpm SATA drives.
Quite fast but also very pricey.
7200 rpm should be sufficient, and best dollar to performance ratio.
But if you have the money go for it.

RDR
26-07-2006, 04:14 PM
:lol:

"If i got the money"

hahah
if only.. :cry:

dan the acid man
26-07-2006, 09:50 PM
well i was a fan of seagates, but my last one was really noisey, may have been a bad one though as it didn't last 5 minutes, although my ide seagate is still going strong (touch wood) and still quiet.

my new sata drive is a samsung, it's been excellent so far, easily as quiet as seagates, if not quieter, plus i know loads of people who have been running them for years with no problems.

so i'd personally go with samsung or seagate

Spire
27-07-2006, 07:00 AM
I have no clue on how pc's work or anything that has to do with it....

lol my friend build this pc for me.... they are Serial ATA linked together or however that works lol... ( no SCSI)

Dunno what I paid for em tho... think I got em through tweakers.net

it's called RAID. i'm not sure if it makes them run any faster, and infact, i think you lose gb's when doing it. it's nice though because say you have two hd's and 1 fails, you can recover it because the pc thinks they're both one. this is why you lose some gb's because it kinda stores all your files on both while saying theyre just one.

xfive: ok i lose, sorry it just looked wronger

RDR
27-07-2006, 08:57 AM
RAID

# Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
# Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.
# Level 2 -- Error-Correcting Coding: Not a typical implementation and rarely used, Level 2 stripes data at the bit level rather than the block level.
# Level 3 -- Bit-Interleaved Parity: Provides byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk. Level 3, which cannot service simultaneous multiple requests, also is rarely used.
# Level 4 -- Dedicated Parity Drive: A commonly used implementation of RAID, Level 4 provides block-level striping (like Level 0) with a parity disk. If a data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk. A disadvantage to Level 4 is that the parity disk can create write bottlenecks.
# Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID.
# Level 6 -- Independent Data Disks with Double Parity: Provides block-level striping with parity data distributed across all disks.
# Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.
# Level 10 – A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels, multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over these.
# Level 7: A trademark of Storage Computer Corporation that adds caching to Levels 3 or 4.
# RAID S: EMC Corporation's proprietary striped parity RAID system used in its Symmetrix storage systems.

RDR
27-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Redundant array of inexpensive disks.

I have it on my net computer, but never bloody bothered with it. Always seemed to be a bit bloody pointless to me, and besides its a backup and storage solution clearly aimed at servers, an answer to the problem of the slowness of tape backup. As a solution it was around long before DVD burners came within the reach of many.

Personally i would much prefer to backup to external HD or DVD and store off site.

278d7e64a374de26f==