PDA

View Full Version : Who were your influences?

The Overfiend
31-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Where Who Or What
Bought you into techno.
Who were your favorite producers.
Favorite venues.
Songs that just still to this day tickle your ears.
What producer did it for you for years??
Dj's as well.
Did you dj produce trainspot?

dan the acid man
31-07-2006, 11:01 PM
started off slowly getting into dance music by the usual routes of the chemical brothers, prodigy etc.

then after listening to john peel a few times, i discovered the joys of plastikmans artefakts bc album, i love the whole feel of that album, especially the beautiful acid lines.
i then needed more acid lines and discovered hardfloor
I then ended up getting dragged along to the orbit a couple of times in leeds, this is when the power of techno really started to suck me in.

Not long after this, i ended up at a music college, a fellow student on the course was a local sheffiled dj who played acid techno, i then ended up going to the arches in sheffield where he played at, and the rest was history, been in love with all kinds of techno since then :techno:

i've not really carved out any kind of career in techno, i've dj'ed a bit, written a few tunes in my time, but nothing really serious, i've just been happy listening to great music really.

I do miss writing music now though, even though i was never happy with the results, it gave me a release to do something artistic.

time to start again i think

marginmaster
31-07-2006, 11:18 PM
tanith@universe.
billy nasty mix tapes.
free parties.
house of god.
dance factory.
paul damage.

rhythmtech
31-07-2006, 11:35 PM
bands:
new order
hardfloor

places:
fusion @ the 13th floor (dublin)
technosis (dublin)
trancentral @ tysenn st

mixes:
fukin avin it (first liberators album)
billy nasty (race data)

Sunil
01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
The Prodigy, The KLF, Messiah, Ramirez, Joey Beltram, jungle, MC Magika, pirate radio, Lenny Dee, Hellraiser tapes, Ed Case tapes, Aphex Twin, Transglobal Underground, MCs, The Orb, Orbital, good trance (Platipus, Eye Q, Frankfurt Beat, Harthouse, Cosmic Cubes compilations), The Party Zone on MTV, BPM on ITV, Eternity magazine, New York techno, Chicago techno, 303s, Mills, Surgeon, Cluster (Liberators), Swedish techno, Tresor, Missile etc.

DJs : DJ Dag, Easygroove, Carl Cox, a friend of mine Mark Gormley, Frankie Bones, Billy Nasty, and probably a few more...

basslinejunkie
01-08-2006, 01:19 AM
bands:
new order
hardfloor

places:
fusion @ the 13th floor (dublin)
technosis (dublin)
trancentral @ tysenn st

mixes:
fukin avin it (first liberators album)
billy nasty (race data)

if that billy nasty cd is the one im thinking of its ****in wicked,mit try an dig it out actually!

i got into it through the rave scene really,always been into electronic music sinc ei can remember.was into hardocre originally,then hard trance,then i got hold of an old aggressor tape,been hooked ever since.:)

The Overfiend
01-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Came from the house route.
My mother always had disco in the house.
Back in the 90's there was a fine thin line with techno and house
especially with the Dutch producers like
H.p. Vince (Check out Vinny's Magic Trip on Groove Alert)
Laidback Luke
Dobre & Jamez
Dubbing Double
Even the Dj Sneak Vs. Armand Van Helden Psychic Bounty Killers on Relief was the shit!

drift9
01-08-2006, 02:25 AM
plastikman/sheet one is what brought me in and turned my ears onto it.

as far as getting into the harder side of things, i have to say it was a dj named Murat from NJ. Used to play in detroit in the mid '90s. blistering sets. had no idea techno could be aggressive like that until i heard him play out. forever in debt to the man...

The Overfiend
01-08-2006, 02:56 AM

as far as getting into the harder side of things, i have to say it was a dj named Murat from NJ. Used to play in detroit in the mid '90s. blistering sets. had no idea techno could be aggressive like that until i heard him play out. forever in debt to the man...

Murat that had those tracks on the Thomas Schumacher cd?

Sunil
01-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks Tony. I've needed to come up with a small list of "influences" for a bio, so you helped me kill two birds with the one stone! That list above relates to 1992-1996, at which point I became a purist :)

drift9
01-08-2006, 05:43 AM

Murat that had those tracks on the Thomas Schumacher cd?

yep. this guy: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Murat
guy's had some killer releases--shame he's slowed up as of late...

BloodStar
01-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I mostly listened to hiphop, before i get into techno. I love hiphop, but it started to be boring at the times, so I moved to more dance/elctronic stuff,like Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, and then to techno. There was lot of great parties in Boby centrum (local venue) and many great artists played there. Just to mention DJs like Mhonolink, Johan Bacto, Mark EG, James Ruskin, Headroom, Mark Williams, Paul Mac, oliver Ho, Marc Broom, Ben Sims,Jel Ford, Dylan Drazen, and many great live performances like Alexander Kowalski feat Raz o Hara (awesome closing set at 6AM), Christian Wunsch, Makaton, User, 65D Mavericks, Function, and so on.

Si the Sigh
01-08-2006, 10:47 AM
The Producer and Chris Liberator.

rotten
01-08-2006, 12:22 PM
95 on party. some dude played early downwards stuff (regis' lino05 and surgeons' dynamic tension ep). i still know that feeling to hear something new, other and outstanding stuff. great! the good thing was that nobody in germany did know downwards at this time. so you had to educate yourself on your own. from that point on everything was clear for me. later there came names like ho, outline, ruskin, landstrumm, gaetek etc. and especially the name tresor who was a big influence as well. still remember advents !breathtaking! pa in tresor garden to the love parade 98. wow! integrale muzique was massively moving for me too. actually the whole uk stuff made my way. could never be patriotical and getting into german stuff..

Fusion
01-08-2006, 02:11 PM
my father was a disco dj :cheese:

Mucky Beats
01-08-2006, 02:25 PM
i grew up on guns and roses and the prodigy, then came helter skelter tape packs !!! brisk / loftgoover / producer / mark eg / carl cox / trevor rockcliffe ... around 99 i got into techno thro a new bunch of freinds who showed me this stuff that was what i had been listening to and dancing to without knowing it was techno and within a year i was hooked on glen wilson / green velvet / ben sims stuff.
over the following few years i found analog techno and realy got blown away by dave the drummer stuff hydraulix is still for me one of the best labels out there.
djs that most infulenced me are dave clarke / ben simms / mark eg / dave the drummer / carl cox.
Now thanks to all these diffrent styles i find myself playing anything from surgon to ant to OBI ... one of the best tracks of all time for me is freaks on hubbard (dave clarke remix)

stjohn
01-08-2006, 04:19 PM
hardcore: prodigy, slipmatt, sy, brisk, druid, sharkey, hixxy, Thunderdome, Clarkee, Scorpio. Rave: Sequential One, Bonzai Records, Source T10, Union Jack. have to say Digweed and Sasha too.

Techno wise... iwas shopping in the wrong places, and never knew places like selectah and spindizzy existed, so unfortunately for me, i never picked up too much techno, only if Mauro Picotto branched out, or there was the odd techno 12" showing up in a hardhouse shipment for Abbey Discs.

Then i bought a cd called Techno Classics in New York in 1999-ish which had all of the usuals, beltram, mills, green velvet etc, so that got me hooked on the not so bangin shit as well as a Mark EG mix calleld " This is techno" for some magazine. i remebered thinkin thats not techno, coz it wasnt bang bang bang from start to finish :roll: but i thought it was deadly all the same.

barry dempsey and dean sherry @ Phunk'd Up for gettin me hooked on the proper Dublin CLubbin Buzz. big repect to those 2 lads!

and pretty much every technobrain on this board that pound us with the plethora of techno, coz id never have heard of 70% of it otherwise! ;)

audioinjection
01-08-2006, 05:47 PM
i grew up on chicago house and hardcore at first.......then discovered techno around 95/96, dj misjah, jeff mills, surgeon, sonic groove, synewave stuff, etc.......for me it was hard to find techno around here, since the rave scene was mostly house, trance, hardcore, hard house, but yeah thats how i started out

i heard very little techno on the radio, only way to find it was buying tapes off of 'pure acid mixtapes' catalogs haha

massplanck
01-08-2006, 06:07 PM
ok. I'd say it was ecstacy & billy nasty race data eta that got me into techno

dirty_bass
01-08-2006, 07:53 PM
What got me into techno?
Well I was always into electronic music and techno from a young age.
I used to breakdance and used to pick up break tapes from Southend Market, from some B-Boy bootleg stall.
The tapes were 45 minutes a side of continous 909 and 808 rythms. So I guess, that`s what initially got me into dance beats.
Then I went through rock and industrial, was in some industrial bands, slowly eliminating members and replacing them with electronics, till there was 2 of us left.
Had a record deal, got ****ed, freaked out, decided to sink myself into the underground as far away from the commercial biz as possible.
Fell into the squat party scene of london, all the music got me inspired, mostly London Acid to start, then the wider world of techno in general.
Joined a rig.
Ran a rig.
Did the whole anti establishment, breaking into warehouses, dealing with coppers, mixing for hours and playing pa`s in empty buildings thing for a bit.
Got dissapointed with it, focused back on producing.
And ended up here. Confused, in love with all music, with not enough time to make it all.

djfilthmonger
01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
okay
the first 3 techno cds i got off me mate were chris liberator trust da djs 01, adam beyer (cant remember the name), and umek..
and at the time i was mad into dj shadow,..
got in to speedy j big time and of course dave the drummer and glenn wilson..
places: the forum waterford
reds cork
metropoltion and frazers dublin and traffic..
i love techno 2005

rolarocka
02-08-2006, 12:04 AM
cabaret voltaire
renegade soundwave
the shamen
led zeppelin
the doors

Ms.Rhythm
02-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Was brought up on soul, disco and motown so I’ve always loved to dance n shake my ass.
Then when I was about 10 I had a metal head babysitter who influenced me into the metal scene, got heavily into my power/black/death/thrash metal got listening to bands with techno ,hardcore influences like mad capsual markets, aboryum and the bezerker to name a few.
Then when I was about 16 my mates n I went to our first techno club U.T.I in Edinburgh just cause it was at the studios and it was easy to get into with out I.d haha and from there I fell in love with techno, well with what I heard there anyway.
From there on wards I just got more and more into it finding out more about all the different styles of techno. Was really into my hardcore/Gabba/hard tek cause it reminded me of my metal routes and i got really into my funky techno because of my disco routes.
So i guess that explains why i love my hard techno with a lil funkyness thrown in for good measure. Anything i can really shake my boootay too

To be honest with you i love abit of everything apart from happy hardcore .

loopdon
02-08-2006, 01:38 AM
I'd say my biggest influence in getting me into this was Steve Mason with his 'The Experience' show on BFBS. he's still my highest rated dj - shame his show was kicked and shame he doesn't come to play in germany that often (if at all) any more...

/just to keep this short

RDR
02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
errm

first records i got were

the theme from s-express, some inxs stuff, level 42, george benson, beethoven, kraftwerk, paul hardcastle, jan hammer.

Later i listened to - led zeppelin, deep purple, the dead kennedys, the cure, the smths.

So anyones guess realy, but i always listened harder to the keyboard parts, or the synth parts now i think back.

massplanck
02-08-2006, 01:00 PM
mad capsual markets

:cheer:

DannyBlack
03-08-2006, 03:23 PM
sex pistols, dave clarke, carl cox...
then i got into D.A.V.E the drummer thru DJfilthmonger
thomas krome and all things acid,
got into the liberator DJ's. then i bought true defective on vinyl (julian lib)
ju ju drums and on the B side there was 2 remixes of it by 'sandy warez' and 'leo laker'
and its pretty much been schranz ever since.

favorite venue?
the forum, waterford.

The Overfiend
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Thomas Krome is the daddy.

dirty_bass
04-08-2006, 02:14 AM
I'd say my biggest influence in getting me into this was Steve Mason with his 'The Experience' show on BFBS. he's still my highest rated dj - shame his show was kicked and shame he doesn't come to play in germany that often (if at all) any more...

/just to keep this short

what the ****ing**** happened to Steve mason?
I loooved Experience grooves and Experience 2000
Acid Phonk by 2 Bald Men - Belter of a tune
And the Jark Prongo remix of White Knight by the Drumbeaters - that tune still gives me the shivers now.

Sunil
04-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Yeah, Steve Mason is a blast from the past alright, kinda like a lot of people though... he disappeared off the radar. I had a quick look there and found his site: http://www.steve-mason.de/

Looks like he's still going, although not on the same scale as before. Experience 2000 ended a while ago now, seems like that was his last label or production project.

Si the Sigh
04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Acid Phonk by 2 Bald Men

...a track I've been after for bloody ages and can't find for love nor money.

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
In roughly chronological order

Old school hardcore & jungle
Chemical Brothers, Prodidgy
Sasha & Digweed
BT, Rennie Pilgrim & nu-school breaks
The End & Bedrock @ Heaven
Carl Cox, Darren Emerson
Sonar Festival, free parties

Seminal techno moment was first time I saw Jeff Mills at Lost in the East India Docks warehouse. Man that was good...

RDR
07-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Sasha & Digweed
Carl Cox, Darren Emerson

Seminal techno moment was first time I saw Jeff Mills at Lost in the East India Docks warehouse. Man that was good...

hahaha

was that the one where he did the 2001 film screener?

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Nah... its was the one where he crawled back on stage at the end so that nobody could see him, then jumped up in the air holding a copy of sonic destroyer to play as an encore.

It was mint. You should have seen the forest of arms go up.

gary_human
08-08-2006, 04:23 PM
i was into hip-hop in the late eighties / early nineties, took me a while and a few pharmecuticals before i was into techno, but some of my influences are

billy nasty
colin dale & colin faver on kiss 100fm
all things techno show on my local radio station back in the early 90s
dj housejunkie - anyone know what this guy is up to ? he used to play mad hardcore techno back in the day on the southcoast
lenny d
coldcut
frank de wulf
underworld
dj dag
my washing machine
chris liberator

TechMouse
08-08-2006, 04:42 PM

Sasha & Digweed
Carl Cox, Darren Emerson

You know what, J, that's remarkably similar to me.

Put Nine Inch Nails / Aphex Twin at the top and you're pretty much there.

snooch
13-08-2006, 06:23 AM
I got into electronic music through industrial- KK records and the like. I got out of grade school and got into my local college's radio station. The second day I was there they decided to clean their record vaults out and I ended up taking all this techno/house stuff like almost the entire definative catalog. I must have taken home 300-400 records as I was the only person there who was into electronic stuff and reggae. At this point, I had never seen a party or a legitimate dj play so I had some small pieces of paper that made my head swim and decided to go see Adam X in Philadelphia. It was all over after that.

One of my favorite party spots was a place off an alley in downtown Philly between 2nd and 3rd street called the rainbow playground. Also Cavalini's and route 66 in Chicago.

Formative artists- T-1000, Hawtin and Aquaviva, Frankie Bones, Adam X and Heather Hart, Soulslinger, Nigel Richards, Billy Nasty, Woody McBride and Jeff Mills.

tOM B
13-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I was playing in a punk band in 95 and i lent my bass amp to my drummers brother to use as a monitor at a free party and went along for the ride. I was already into leftfield, orbital, dreadzone etc so figured i'd like it. I had a great time and i can clearly remember one of the dj's playing an acid remix of x-cabs neuro into london acid city and me standing there thinking funk punk i wanna play acid techno.....

after that i partied loads my major influences were probably: itchy fingers & planet yes dj's, lawrie immersion, chris liberator, mark tyler, geezer, d.a.v.e. the drummer, the macrospasm club night in norwich.

After a few years of playing nothing but acid techno i realised there was loads of other techno out there and know i guess every bit of electronic music i hear influences me in some way

i also play reggae and dub so have to cite king tubby, lee perry and scientist in there as well

theledge
13-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Well techno/trance wise...I started out listening to old M-zone mix tapes about ten years ago

I've progressed through various styles of trance...then acid techno - and I think that Dave the Drummer... and latterly i am moved by the work of Mount Sims...Thomas Krome... Hell... and Martyn Hare

I love my electro too

And not to mention other 80s electronic music everything from Depeche Mode to Jimmy Somerville to Jean Michel Jarre

Aaaargghhhhh there's so much!! :shock:

And thats just the electronic dance music I think I need to start a new post for the rest :cheese:

Little_Fella!
14-08-2006, 04:33 AM
OOooh well... better nutshell this n pick the direct route eh:-

First 7" single I bought was 'Cars' by Gary Numan when it came out... good start I reckon ! :cheese:

All early to mid eighties synth stuff... :razz:

Hip-Hop Electro from say 'The Message' Grandmaster Flash etc. n the Electro albums up to number 11... :newstyle:

All Chicago House music that came to our shores... :cool:

All Acid House music n dance I could afford during the explosion in the late eighties... :love:

Rave that had hoovers n Belgian stabs in it (n not pianos n vocals breakin up the middle of the tune- gah!) from the early nineties... :twisted:

more>>>

Little_Fella!
14-08-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm from the North East of England so:

Progressed thro popular dance genres during the nineties but only really had Radio One to go by as I was raising a family at this point... :)

Then had a record bag full of Trance & one full of Hard House n Hard Trance from 1998 to say 2000 :boadj:

Moved to London & found the underground Acid Techno scene, fell in love with it n proceeded to spend all my money in Kinetic n the likes on Acid & Techno - the usual suspects!! :techno: :love:

Met Steve n he helped me get involved in the free party scene, D.J.in' & helping with the rig n all... crazy times ;)

Did a couple o one off club nights with Steve n the crew, which only blew out coz of poxy venue problems... :bash: :bash:

Am currently learning to produce as properly as I can b4 I run some more Little ditties past your discerning ears'... :blush: :blush:

278d7e64a374de26f==