PDA

View Full Version : Ive got my sound and im sticking to it

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:31 AM
kinda hoping to expand on some points raise over on yonder mark williams thread here..

What i was thinking about was a few people mentioning the repetitive ness of tribal releases such as sims, broom, mac etc etc.
But obviously the hard tech boys are really quite repetitive too, i mean, allways the same sound on each record.
same lots of producers - the have that sound/style and they stick to it.
But why? why dont people try makin all the different flavas of techno? u can be sure most folks like listening/groovin' to more than one style, so why not make more than one?
what techno producers do you lot think vary thier sound the most?

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Like said before
Skoog, Bicknell, Fenton
Shufflemaster here an there when he's not doing super mario bros records lol.

Col
26-09-2003, 01:24 AM
ive been thinkin about this too jimmy, its a very good point mate. i think versatility is important for a techno artist, well as it is for any other artist for that matter. variation is definatley something that id like to see more of.

chris mccormack is a very versatile artist.

i dont know maybe stefan ehrlin too.

and the already mentioned ade fenton is versatile as well.

mmm...just trying to think of others. :bash:

Col
26-09-2003, 01:33 AM
hows the releases going anyway jimbob?

are you rollin in it or what mate?

have you got any links for any of the tracks fella?

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 07:50 AM
yeah, maybe ade fenton to a degree..

mmm, yeah loads of stuff hittin the shelves as of now really:
humanoid 1,2 & cutting 3 in two weeks, midisync 3, loads of stuff on drumworks and a realvinyl ep (i think its no 8 :eh: ) plus a few more bits i cant remember... :dance:

rolling in it?

hahahahaha

ive posted loads of stuff up on the 'techno filez' page, let me know wot u think ;)

Super mario bros??????????? wtf? hahaha

killarava2day
26-09-2003, 10:59 AM
I suppose you gota love the assessability PC's have made to the producer(s) in regards to all forms of electronica. At least you have alot of variety now, techno wise...perspectives, influences from all around the world really.

You know, say around '96 (when I started taking notice of tech), you had a limited supply, but now you have a huge choice and you can really define your own tastes when Djing. It wasn't that easy when the same shops in the city got the same 10 or so new records, not to mention no internet for overseas buying as well.

When producing though I tend to always go for that reverb, sound, pitched ride in most tracks. Even if you try something new you'll still use a well worn technique (process).

So the bitchin at artists is maybe unfair. Would I try I different way of doing my job just to spice it up? If it's gona take me twice as long then I wouldn't even bother. Hmmm, that was a shit analogy I know :shock:

eyes without a face
26-09-2003, 12:01 PM
very good topic indeed

i agree on a few points here. Glad someone mentioned Ade, he's a very good example of how his sound evolves. When he started out his productions were alot tougher, then things went a bit funkier but now he's started to get back to the harder stuff, which i know he really prefers.

Chris McCormack is as someone said very versatile, he's done the lot from dancefloor electro to hard techno. I truely believe that Chris McCormack is the most forward thinking producer in the UK at the moment, he's a true talent.

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:38 PM
i didnt really mean it in terms of how an artists sound has evolved - but what they are doing right now. ie Spending a week in the studio and coming out with a hard tune, a cheesy vocal tune & some dark electro shiz.

We all moan about everything being so pigeon-holed, but most folks productions are of such a specific type and they never seem to diverge from that. Obviously thier sound evolves slowly - but i think that is a different thing.

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:39 PM
So the bitchin at artists is maybe unfair.

:dontevengothere: hey, i aint bitchin at anyone... i do it myself u know..

killarava2day
26-09-2003, 12:58 PM
So the bitchin at artists is maybe unfair.

:dontevengothere: hey, i aint bitchin at anyone... i do it myself u know..

Sweet Jimi, I was actually refering to my Mark Williams post which you'd refered to.

Most of these posts here go off on wild tangents, although it can make for extreme reading...and that's what matters.

Regards.

Angrymann
26-09-2003, 01:48 PM
I think there are versatile producers out there Chris McCormack has already been mentioned , The Youngsters and Laurent Garnier I think are extremely talented at making tunes as well.

The case for Chris McCormack and The Youngsters is , they don't play the decks , therefor they aren't writing their tunes with mixing in mind. They are just creating something they like and if that means it can be mixed then good , but first off it's a musical track that they expect people to listen to properly, not just mix in with another track. Their tracks stand on their own and can be listened to straight through without the need to mix something else in , there is always something more in their tracks.

Most of the people that produce , make their money by also playing sets on the decks and I think that this is the main reason for the Formulaicness that is very much apparent in Techno. Hard Techno in my opinion is the easiest to mix , cause most of it has been made by dj's for dj's and fits a certain mould. This doesn't mean it's bad , it just means that it has been made for a purpose , which is to keep people on the dancefloor.

What I am trying to say is that the DJ'ing has become more of a part of the scene than the prodcution (as in , this is where the real money is made) , so maybe that is in the back of each producers mind when they are making tracks. " Wait a minute that won't work , you can't mix that , shit i'll just take that out .....ahh now it mixes".

Whereas , if they didn't play the decks they would just go " that sounds ****ing cool".

I hope I am making sense cause I think I am starting to drivvel a bit. I ****IGN HATE TECHNO ANYWAY , IT'S FOR CUNTS

acid-project
26-09-2003, 01:52 PM
quote judje jools " cough " excuse this ,

the best way to become a dj is to write your own tunes.

with that knid of advice to the general populus what do you expect ???

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Super mario bros??????????? wtf? hahaha

Dude listen to the city lights ep on subvoice..............

anx
26-09-2003, 04:11 PM
i think Henry Cullen is very versatile.

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 08:01 PM
i think angry man has pretty much hit the nal on the head up there...

DJZeMig_L
26-09-2003, 09:07 PM
I would agree but I think there can be a compromise between make something different but at the same time maintaining it a least a little dj friendly, unless u r not doing something targeted at the dance floor.

Most producers I know will firmely believe they do something diferent everytime... And I guess that if u have a very particular sound it is hard e let go of that, cause all in all you r doing something 2 please yerself (or at least try)... unless U r going 4 the money highway!!

Z

Col
27-09-2003, 10:49 AM
I think there are versatile producers out there Chris McCormack has already been mentioned , The Youngsters and Laurent Garnier I think are extremely talented at making tunes as well.

The case for Chris McCormack and The Youngsters is , they don't play the decks , therefor they aren't writing their tunes with mixing in mind. They are just creating something they like and if that means it can be mixed then good , but first off it's a musical track that they expect people to listen to properly, not just mix in with another track. Their tracks stand on their own and can be listened to straight through without the need to mix something else in , there is always something more in their tracks.

Most of the people that produce , make their money by also playing sets on the decks and I think that this is the main reason for the Formulaicness that is very much apparent in Techno. Hard Techno in my opinion is the easiest to mix , cause most of it has been made by dj's for dj's and fits a certain mould. This doesn't mean it's bad , it just means that it has been made for a purpose , which is to keep people on the dancefloor.

What I am trying to say is that the DJ'ing has become more of a part of the scene than the prodcution (as in , this is where the real money is made) , so maybe that is in the back of each producers mind when they are making tracks. " Wait a minute that won't work , you can't mix that , shit i'll just take that out .....ahh now it mixes".

Whereas , if they didn't play the decks they would just go " that sounds **** cool".

I hope I am making sense cause I think I am starting to drivvel a bit. I **** HATE TECHNO ANYWAY , IT'S FOR CUNTS

very good point mate ;)

Angrymann
29-09-2003, 03:26 PM
;) Thanks Col Ecstatic and Jim (not Masters) Fish.

DJ Ze MigL , I think you have a point. There should be some compromise in a way but I don't think there is. More and more people want vinyl these days (more dj's) and when they buy the vinyl they expect to be able to mix with it. So it's like a knock on effect.

I remember reading,, I think it was Dave the Drummer ( apologies if it wasn't) on here saying that a producer's ( can't remember name) style of tunes annoyed him slightly, because they were becoming harder and harder to mix because they didn't follow the typical 4/4 pattern.

I don't produce so I am just standing outside throwing stones in at everyone else. If someone fancies sending me their master copy of a track , i'll do a remix and if I can't do it , then i'll shut the **** up. :lol:

FORCE 5
30-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Variation is definatly the key....For somebody to produce the same sound for a long period of time would just be a death sentence..considering the speed of change one might get left behind.

Hey Jim!!! wheres those tunes you were going to post me????

Dont want to be an arse twice :lol:

Jimfish
30-09-2003, 11:11 AM
on thier way to me..

they are floating around that endless void known as 'securicor omega express'!!! :evil:

FORCE 5
30-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Top man ;)

yeah its kinda weird how some things can take ages,i recieved a package from another well known poster on this site and it took 6 weeks for it to arrive.

patience is a viture huh

cheers gov

278d7e64a374de26f==