PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stoll

Frank Dogshit
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
One of my favourite producers...

Whats he upto thesedays?

Maybe im off the pace a bit with his production front,what was his last release?

Need more Stoll!! :cheese:

audioinjection
04-08-2006, 08:34 PM
yeah man, i remember a few of his proper nyc releases, good stuff

last release was on Proper NYC actually http://www.discogs.com/release/606126

havent heard it though

audioinjection
04-08-2006, 08:35 PM
oh and his blunted boy wonder tracks! great stuff!

Aratron
04-08-2006, 09:41 PM
stuff he does on route remixes for pgv - rock

dan the acid man
05-08-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah, he makes some great tracks, not heard of anything from him for a bit

dirty_bass
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately Stoll hasn`t made anything good since brooklyn bomber and slice of life ep.

Tiptoe
05-08-2006, 08:14 PM
enjoyed the pa's on boa radio

Aratron
05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
routemaster - back the fu*k up is mint

Symmetric
06-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Steve played a party of mine on May 13th and his Live PA is BLISTERING! I just listened to it again today and it really was phenomenal. He does an Ableton set with about 500 of his loops ready to be dropped in based on what the performance needs. He said has some projects going at all times, and was collaborating with some folks in Japan. That's really about all I know.

MARKEG
06-08-2006, 05:05 AM
yeah you really wannna check the radio show we did with him - it's in the d/ls :)

dirty_bass
06-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Man, stolls old PA`s rocked.
that new pa on the radio show is just a collection of monotonous loops doing nothing for ages, a bad example of an ableton set. If it didn`t have Stolls name to it, or indeed you Mr EG backing it, no one would pay second notice to it.
I love Stolls good stuff, and he`s a real nice guy, but he seems to have lost his old magic.

eyeswithoutaface
06-08-2006, 10:40 AM
true words really, as much as i love Stoll, he does seem to have lost his edge. He did me a couple of remixes for a release that we had planned and they really were not much good, unfortunately. But he also supplied some loops too that were absolutely rocking, so im not sure what happened there

havent been into his newer bits at all unfortunately

Sunil
07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
I think someone like Stoll needs to be given a challenge of some sort to make him pull out a bit of the old magic. ie. an offer from a well respected or edgy underground label, who will demand his 'good' stuff. That Routemaster or Fresh Grind stuff was not vintage Stoll at all, but it served its purpose. What we need here is a Novamute (big label) or a label owner who wants to do something special, to get in touch with Steve and give him the opportunity and incentive to blow minds. The label or market 'scene' now is very aimless, and I think someone like Stoll is just going to bang out the occasional Proper 12" and not a whole lot else (techno wise) unless an attractive offer comes his way. I think he's got it in him, people like Stoll don't suddenly lose it, but I think any producer (established or unestablished) can do with a bit of friendly guidance every so often.

I know what I'm saying is all very ideal, but it seems that a lot of the diamond producers of our scene are not having their potential realised. The "fightback" against the crap that's out there and the tame state of techno at present could be realised if some people started pulling together. Maybe that "family" spirit needs to fester itself again a bit?

I know the current bad state of sales, but beyond that I think a lot of existing labels with an ongoing release schedule could start setting the cats amongst the pigeons by being a bit more creative and thinking outside of their own narrow little box sometimes.

Anyway, my point is really... that the likes of Stoll will deliver if there's a good deal or cool project being put on the table.

MARKEG
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
wow.

i really loved steve's pa on that show. genuinely. i thought it was amazing. well, it's all a matter of personal opinion i suppose. :)

dirty_bass
07-08-2006, 03:03 AM
I think someone like Stoll needs to be given a challenge of some sort to make him pull out a bit of the old magic. ie. an offer from a well respected or edgy underground label, who will demand his 'good' stuff. That Routemaster or Fresh Grind stuff was not vintage Stoll at all, but it served its purpose. What we need here is a Novamute (big label) or a label owner who wants to do something special, to get in touch with Steve and give him the opportunity and incentive to blow minds. The label or market 'scene' now is very aimless, and I think someone like Stoll is just going to bang out the occasional Proper 12" and not a whole lot else (techno wise) unless an attractive offer comes his way. I think he's got it in him, people like Stoll don't suddenly lose it, but I think any producer (established or unestablished) can do with a bit of friendly guidance every so often.

I know what I'm saying is all very ideal, but it seems that a lot of the diamond producers of our scene are not having their potential realised. The "fightback" against the crap that's out there and the tame state of techno at present could be realised if some people started pulling together. Maybe that "family" spirit needs to fester itself again a bit?

I know the current bad state of sales, but beyond that I think a lot of existing labels with an ongoing release schedule could start setting the cats amongst the pigeons by being a bit more creative and thinking outside of their own narrow little box sometimes.

Anyway, my point is really... that the likes of Stoll will deliver if there's a good deal or cool project being put on the table.

Totally agree.
Also I think labels shouldn`t be affraid of rejecting tunes from bigger name artists, if they don`t think they are good enough.
Pay em when they give you what they want, don`t just pay em for whatever they supply you with.
That would probably stop a lot of drivel happening.

I think Steve can do magic. He is great at the more funky dubby stuff, and the really subtle, but hard stuff, but I think maybe some of the lack of magic from his newer things may be down to mostly using ableton now?
He seemed to have a knack of pulling amazing sounds from his old outboard kit, which he obviously knew like the back of his hand.

Certainly not dissing the guy though, one of my top 3 techno records is proper 30. I shredded that record I played it so much, luckily I found a new copy.

Sunil
07-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Also I think labels shouldn`t be affraid of rejecting tunes from bigger name artists, if they don`t think they are good enough.
Pay em when they give you what they want, don`t just pay em for whatever they supply you with.
That would probably stop a lot of drivel happening.

For sure. A name on a record is pointless if the tune is boring. At the rate many producers bang out tunes, it shouldn't be a big hassle to ask for another one or different one.

I think Steve can do magic. He is great at the more funky dubby stuff, and the really subtle, but hard stuff, but I think maybe some of the lack of magic from his newer things may be down to mostly using ableton now?
He seemed to have a knack of pulling amazing sounds from his old outboard kit, which he obviously knew like the back of his hand.

Yeah for sure, he is the master of the subtle hard groove... the old Blunted Boy Wonder stuff and Stoll stuff in general was testament to this. Certainly some of his older stuff could be more raucous when it wanted, and Gaiden definitely delved into that area in places. What a shame that project ended , however they definitely made their mark in that short period.

dirty_bass
07-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Man the Gaiden project ruled. Bloody Codenys went back to Front 242 after that having apparently learned nothing, as none of the 242 stuff after that seemed to show any sign of Patrick having picked up any techno influence from Stoll

Booooo
:(

module
07-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Cicuit Sex

nuff said

Sunil
07-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Man the Gaiden project ruled. Bloody Codenys went back to Front 242 after that having apparently learned nothing, as none of the 242 stuff after that seemed to show any sign of Patrick having picked up any techno influence from Stoll

Booooo
:(

Shit, I wasn't aware of that. Haven't heard any recent Front 242 stuff. Doesn't sound like I want to :)

Frank Dogshit
07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Model T

Christ what a track!! 4 tracks of sickness,lekebusch is well on it on the remix too!

eyeswithoutaface
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
yeah damn "point blank"

seen many clubs on its knee's to that record!

tekara
08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Model T

Christ what a track!! 4 tracks of sickness,lekebusch is well on it on the remix too!

jesus christ, i cant believe anyone even remembers "Model T"....that is still one of the best record i have in my entire collection to this day!!!

The Overfiend
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Steve Stoll is a mack
I can't believe anyone here would talk so low about him.
Like saying Art Of Noise sucks now because the one girl composes clasical music.

eyeswithoutaface
08-08-2006, 09:35 PM
whose talking low about him? no one on here Tony

not a great analogy either, the classical influence in Art of Noise was always apparent, for me anyway. check out "robinson crusoe" to see what i mean

The Overfiend
08-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Meaning moved on from an old sound
Quite an accurate analogy snot bubble

massplanck
08-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Meaning moved on from an old sound

Since when has Stoll Moved on from an old sound?

eyeswithoutaface
08-08-2006, 10:11 PM
eh? that makes even less sense Tony honestly, since when has anyone mentioned here moved onto a new sound? Art of Noise have always been pretty unique and Stoll certainly hasnt moved on

make sense snot bubble ;)

The Overfiend
08-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Can you guys seriously get off my sack?
Seriously.
Stop being so over anal about what I say.
It's annoying and antagonizing.
Stoll is still nice with his in my opinion.
His latest pa is still trademark Stoll.
Anyone
ANYONE who produces is going to produce differently from the way they did years ago
Was my point in the most Sesame Street way of putting it.

eyeswithoutaface
09-08-2006, 12:49 AM
haha ease up tiger, nothing anal at all, just confusion, you were the one who took the thread so seriously, no one was speaking low about Stoll infact quite the opposite, its more than apparent that everyone respects Stoll vastly regardless of their opinion on his current output. It's ok to not like something someone is up to and yet still love their past. That's half of techno in general's appeal to me.

no one was saying Stoll sucked or anything. And that set was pretty lame to be honest, thats just my opinion, and that's only because i know Stoll can produce the goods, just a shame he isnt at the moment

BloodStar
09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Model T

jesus christ, i cant believe anyone even remembers "Model T"....that is still one of the best record i have in my entire collection to this day!!!

aah,, ModelT,. I couldnt remember the name of that record, it is on Novamute, isn't it?.. I didnt play this for a few years, but it is now back in my bag again. very good stuff.

Frank Dogshit
09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Model T

aah,, ModelT,. I couldnt remember the name of that record, it is on Novamute, isn't it?.. I didnt play this for a few years, but it is now back in my bag again. very good stuff.

yeah novamute 1998 release i think....the 2nd track on the :mad: a side is the killer for me!

slimboy
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
The album that was out about the same time as Model T was a goodun, was also on Novamute I think. I lost my copy years ago.

Just a long shot... there was a Steve Stoll track (listed as 'unknown') played by Dave Clarke on the Essentail Mix he did with Josh Wink in 2001.

If anyone has a copy of this essential mix and knows which Stoll track it is I'd be very grateful :)

BloodStar
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Model T

yeah novamute 1998 release i think....the 2nd track on the :mad: a side is the killer for me!

Same here :cheese:

Decimal
10-08-2006, 01:15 AM
he lives in indiana now. Ft. Wayne, still pretty close to detroit.

The Overfiend
10-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Ft. Wayne?
Did he go back to the military?

module
10-08-2006, 06:20 AM
link for the mentioned live set ?

Symmetric
10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Ft. Wayne?
Did he go back to the military?

haha, there's no Fort in Ft. Wayne. Unless you're talking about the old log fort downtown. It's just a small Indiana city, nice easy drive to Chicago, Indianapolis, or Detroit.

278d7e64a374de26f==