PDA

View Full Version : umek's production -esp. his shuffled (?) closed hats ?!

loopdon
04-08-2006, 07:10 PM
hi fellaz!

i am a pretty big fan of umek's older stuff... you know lanicor,
Nodlocnost

etc. etc. his synthy stuff. not so much the newer techhouse stuff..
i know he makes use of loops but i'd like to discuss general aspects of his production from those times.
what kind of swing (?) or pattern did he use for the closed hats. how does one make them sound like they sound -groove/swing template??
how did he do these manic clap fills?
whatever if you know anything - share the knowledge.

ps:

some things i have worked out pretty much like the clap fills but i can not exactly work out the closed hats. so all pointers appreciated :)

err:

gatex midi file uploaded for y'all:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=640D5BFB3528C968

Spire
05-08-2006, 06:42 AM
awww that midi file is nice. i loved that track when i first heard it... can't remember what set it was... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... sven vath @.......... **** I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!

Spire
05-08-2006, 06:46 AM
live @ mayday! damn i wish i could find that set again... hmmm... don't remember what year it was either...

ps. sorry i'm no help with your Q, but thanks for making me reminisce! ;D

massplanck
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
those hats always sound like they came straight from a drum machine with a decent groove section\knob. Thats it.

I fdind it hard to replicate that on a pc. Too fiddly sometimes.

loopdon
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
@massplank: yeah, when i listen to them i think they could be kinda staright from a 909 (probably) and using the special shuffle function this machine brings. tried some quantsation settings from fruity loops on my jomox xbase 09 seqeunced via midi in fruity loops and i think that could be it. i guess it would be helpful to upload a clip...

another thing that i am interested in is the snare patterns/processing chris liebing (or better his engineer, andre walter) used in various records??

examples would prolly be the best way to explain what i mean!

massplanck
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
thats why vst's are/can be shit. No in built 'groove' functions because well they dont really handle midi data . Its up to the sequencer to do that- which is balls when you have a program like Abelton which cant shuffle\groove midi for shit & then Cubase which can overcomplicate things. Cubase doesnt have a very accesable groove quantization module (ok you can prob download templates etc but thats very long winded for something that came as standard in the old MC-303 - (it might have been a shitty box but it had about 90 groove templates built in)

actually does anyone have any links to groove\quantization templates for Cubase? I havent had much luck finding any.

278d7e64a374de26f==