PDA

View Full Version : Jay Pace - Out come Stanley

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Being a busy bee. Made this today, quite happy so far.

Shuffly slightly menacing off kilter acid type

Feedback appreciated as ever

:cheese:

www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/stanley.mp3

ta' muchly

loopdon
07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
pro:

vey nice. menacing acid. very clean production. nice use of verb. vrey roomy. punchy gated kick. nice hats. the rides in the background sound more like real ones. would rock pretty hard on a floor.

cons: a little minimal. would like some spooky/whispered voice fragments in there. and or a second 'theme' perhaps, a pad or sth. maybe. maybe that's just me, though. you coould automate a clean dist at times, too. or automate the verb to grow into sth. really huge and spaceious for short periods, 'shots' like.

juz ideas, y'know - it's nice as it is, though :)

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Good ideas. Not finished with this one yet, much more I could do with it.
Think I'll keep it fairly minimal - Audion style, but agree that there should be more elements, automation and movement.

Temptation to move on once its got to a stage of near completion is quite high though. The creative part is always the most fun.

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 11:53 AM
And dems real rides. Can't beat a real stereo ride

sash
08-08-2006, 09:28 AM
nice track dude. im diggin the bassline for sure. The arrangement is cool. not to sure about the snares though. the arrangement is fine for the track but i'd go some different snares but that's just me. That big snare that comes in every so often kinda scares me in a harsh frequency kind o way. Depends what kind o snare u like i suppose :)

loopdon
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
shit, yeah, was wondering bout them snares, as well. but i reckoned they were a question of taste. maybe they are just a little loud, dunno. i should stop this criticism :eyes:

Jay Pace
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
hehe
No, I think the snares are too loud after a few listens...

That really loud snare is actually a hihat. And yes, it is a bit frightening...
Need to do some work on the levels in general, and then some on the pattern sequencing.
Bastard work is monopolising all my time now though.

force
08-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Nice tune mate........you've captured that 'slightly disconcerting' vibe with the riff, all good acid tunes have, although it seems to get a bit to loud in relation to the kik in the second half of the tune. I cant be 100% sure cos my monitoring situation is far from perfect at the mo.
(Still without headphones :roll: don't ask)!!!

Not to sure about the 'loud' snare, but really like the 'jacking' snares.
They could maybe be shortened a bit, and brought slightly further back in the mix but again thats no problem.
Was that your 'sherman' workin away there as well?
lucky git

good stuff mate

Jay Pace
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Cheers dude. Good call on the loud snare, need to take some reverb off it as well I thinks.
Yeah, levels & eq needs some work. I need a desk - my shitty tapco mini mixer is useless.

Tis the sherman, and a very simple two oscillator patch made in reason.
Machine is perfect for what the stuff I want to make.

Jay Pace
13-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Redone the kick, redone the mixdown, remastered.

Missed most people with this the first time - all feedback gratefully received.

Updated version:
www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/stanley.mp3

Cheers....

:myagi:

gary_human
13-09-2006, 11:25 AM
really nice track jay i would like to play this, it would be a track i would definiteley buy it if the acid was more subtle - but really like it - the groove is class and i love the sub bass.

Jay Pace
13-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks mate
Been thinking that myself about the acid.
Thats the most difficult part to change (recorded live) but I think I would probaly get a lot more takers for it if I toned it down a little. Might make a hard mix and a soft mix to suit all tastes.

Cheers for listening

force
13-09-2006, 03:15 PM
well done mate...... the mix sounds loads better now.

This is a really nice tune, i think the acid sounds great.

Silll not overly sure about the loud snare (although its not so scary now ;) ) Not sure it adds anything that significant to the tune.

Lovely funky shuffle goin on

:thumbsup:

robin m
13-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Definitely liking this - that acid line's great and the bass is classy as hell... and the arrangement is spot on.

I agree with other comments about the snares though, they could probably use a bit more refining - the loud one in particular is a bit too sharp and punishing for me. The tune still rocks it though, and I'm not sure I would have mentioned them if everyone else's comments hadn't made me focus on them.

:thumbsup:

278d7e64a374de26f==