PDA

View Full Version : PATRIK SKOOG: Harder tribal sounds or minimal?

Si the Sigh
07-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Which did / do you prefer?

Personally, I really miss his harder, darker, tribal sound. His productions were monsterous bass heavy stadium sized tracks. To go from that to his minimal sound as Argaric (sp?) is mad.

I've checked out his tracks as Argaric, and as much as I want to like them because it's Patrik's work, I just can't.

I can't get into that sound at all.

Bring back the big sounds PLEASE!

conflict
07-08-2006, 12:19 PM
definately prefer the older skoog style

eyeswithoutaface
07-08-2006, 12:22 PM
here we go again!

FuK-NuT
07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
is it a rule that all should just stick to one style?

Jay Pace
07-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I loved his old stuff but don't play it much anymore.

With all the recent changes in techno it sounds kinda dated. Quality work, but not exactly timeless.

Si the Sigh
07-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Nah, no one's saying that.

orac
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Most of eps that Patrik Skoog is making right now is as Agaric. I also must admit that I'm not into that sound, but I know people who are really enjoying it. I miss old Skoog's productions and I know I'm not the only one.

Horizonte (holzplatten) and Initial EP (ND) are still on my decks :)

BloodStar
07-08-2006, 03:12 PM
i like both,. For DJing, I am more into his harder tribalish stuff. even the agaric work is quality, i am not too much into minimal so i dont play it out..

Si the Sigh
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Does he make any harder stuff at all now, or is it just minimal? Obviously he's part of Headroom, so thats more like the Skoog sound I know and love, but I've not seen any solo work at all.

BloodStar
07-08-2006, 03:32 PM
He stopped making harder stuff and just focused on minimal,. So, except some new Headroom releases, there is no more harder stuff as a solo work from Mr.Skoog. shame.

orac
07-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought that end of Native Diffusion will be beginning to some new, typical skoog sounding label, not minimal one. Too bad.

jon connor
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
GET THIS FELLA A CIGAR HE`S THE MAN ;)

eyeswithoutaface
07-08-2006, 07:15 PM
he hasnt stopped making hard techno altogether, i speak to Pat regulary and he's just doing his own thing, Pat's one person who doesnt bow down to demand and still this far into the game is able to make and release what he wants and pretty much when he wants

we should all be thankful he's made such great techno in teh past instead of moaning that he isnt doing it at the moment

and if it bothers people that much, get off your arses and make your own techno innit, simple as really

koma
07-08-2006, 09:59 PM
omg another skoog thread

live the man be... :eh:

eyeswithoutaface
07-08-2006, 09:59 PM
exactly

davethedrummer
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
his new music is excellent
if you can't see it
i suggest you keep trying till you do

The Overfiend
08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Did people hate Ice T when he came out with Body Count?
Nope
They appreciated the foray.
Same here.
Some may not like what he is doing now.
As lush as it may be.
But it is still quality and does not change what he has done.

orac
08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
But it is still quality and does not change what he has done.

I think it's pretty obvious, but nice from you that you wrote it.

his new music is excellent
if you can't see it
i suggest you keep trying till you do

No, thanks. Just can't feel it. It's quality, but I don't like it.

Diego Capri & Andrea Gentile - Minimal Configuration
Feldah & Koba - Kobramadic EP

These are only two minimal eps that i can listen to right now.

As for Patrik, we'll be just waiting in silence for some harder stuff :)

dirty_bass
09-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Body count sucked. It was the cheese of cheese at the metal clubs I used to frequent at. We treated it like a kylie record.
And now he`s in Law and Order on TV.
What next, Ice T dancing with Bear and Barney?

Spire
09-08-2006, 02:52 AM
With all the recent changes in techno it sounds kinda dated. Quality work, but not exactly timeless.

A lot of people would consider techno to have NO timelessness. How timeless can boom-tsk-boom-tsk-boom-tsk be? Besides, regardless of these 'changes', why do people jump on the band-wagon so damn much? Why did so many artists who made such beautiful hard techno switch to the total opposite, clicky boring put my ass to sleep techno? Yeah, the hard techno of days past has pretty much been played out, but don't kill it off like an old dog you don't want anymore. That style of techno is what brought us all to this forum, keep it alive because it deserves to be alive, regardless of how un-timeless it is.

No, but it's true Metallica didn't make jazz... ? >:|

The Overfiend
09-08-2006, 05:28 AM
Body count sucked. It was the cheese of cheese at the metal clubs I used to frequent at. We treated it like a kylie record.

Cop Killer did not suck.
Law And Order is my favorite tv show.
And for f*cks sake he's getting paid more than the lot of us.

The Overfiend
09-08-2006, 05:29 AM

A lot of people would consider techno to have NO timelessness. How timeless can boom-tsk-boom-tsk-boom-tsk be? Besides, regardless of these 'changes', why do people jump on the band-wagon so damn much? Why did so many artists who made such beautiful hard techno switch to the total opposite, clicky boring put my ass to sleep techno? Yeah, the hard techno of days past has pretty much been played out, but don't kill it off like an old dog you don't want anymore. That style of techno is what brought us all to this forum, keep it alive because it deserves to be alive, regardless of how un-timeless it is.

No, but it's true Metallica didn't make jazz... ? >:|

Yeah but Skoog is still able to make quality hard techno
Metallica hasn'tmade anything worth mention since And Justice For All

dirty_bass
09-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Cop Killer did not suck.

What does money have to do with anything, other than representing the bad side of man?

Heroes
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
yea id never play a kylie record

gary_human
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
yea id never play a kylie record

not even a gw remix ? surely it gota be time for that? :lol:

Dustin Zahn
09-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Ice T can't be a ****ing gangsta rapper for ever. Homeboys can grow up sometime too. As for Patrik, yes I miss his harder sound but people need to realize he's been making hard shit since 1998. Between the Headroom project and his solo works he has dozens upon dozens of hard techno records out. You can only crank out the same formula for so long before you need a change up. Let him do his thing, and you do your own.

Mindful
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Word

Bas Mooy
09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
like both! although my personal taste is more towards the harder stuff...but patrik is a great producer who had a major influence on a lot of people teh last decade. got a lot of superb records by him...:)

The Overfiend
09-08-2006, 10:52 PM

Cop Killer did not suck.

What does money have to do with anything, other than representing the bad side of man?

Meaning him being on Law and Order to me is a step up from him being 50 years old and still trying to rap about the hood.
The guy is a pioneer in hop hop and is the same guy in the breakin movie with chains and such rapping while people were b-boying.
He has longevity.
And relevance to this topic obviously so does Skoog
I don't see anyone giving the rest of Headroom crap for being the Air Bureau and doing ......................house... oh the horror.
Lol.
Shakes head at people

dirty_bass
10-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Dude still can`t act for toffee though can he? Even Roger Moore can act better than Ice.

But anyway, as for Skoog. Whatever, more important than anything is what he thinks of the music he is making, and that he is enjoying it and doing it for himself, which I think he is. I totally understand the need to do something else, and fair enough, ya can`t go on doing the same shit year in year out forever.

However.

A nice bit of dirty kaboom kaboom techno now and again from Pat would be nice.

Spire
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
This may be a little off topic but, here's the only 'minimal' techno that I've ever liked. To me, this shit is like a mixture of film scores and hard techno. It's got that clicky minimal sound to it and the hard kicks and grooves of the harder stuff. Pascal is my ****ing idol. I wish Skoog (and other hard techno artist going to minimal route) would make shit like this. This is the style that I'm pushing my own productions in the direction of. I'm not sure it's considered minimal but, it's definitely not... maximal...? :\

Pascal FEOS - Live @ HR-XXL Clubnight 2000 (Part 1) (http://www.westwood-audio.com/Pascal_FEOS_Live_HR_XXL_Clubnight_2000_Part_1.mp3)

Dustin Zahn
10-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Spire, there's loads of this kind of "minimal" about. Check out 2 Dollar Egg, Besier/Lorber, Quixote, Beyer's mad eye stuff, Lee Van Dowski, Radioslave, Marek Bois, Raudive, Audion, Eidolon, etc.

Spire
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Ahh dope, I will check them out. Have any sets of this kind of stuff you can hook up?

Spire
10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok, checked all them out and most of that sounds more like house to me than techno. I didn't get to listen to much because I only checked Juno and they only had a few releases for each but, like I said, too much house sound for me. :| I'm thinking stuff more along the lines of Kanzleramt.

Dustin Zahn
11-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Kanzleramt and Agaric are two completely different sounds man. :) I guess I am confused as to what you're looking for.

Spire
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, like I said, my above comment was a little off topic. I'm not really a fan of the Agaric stuff or any of that 'minimal' stuff. :\ I was just saying how the Pascal set I posted is what I wish all the minimal crap sounded like. Yeah, Kanzleramt is not minimal, but I consider it minimal-techno because it's not like stuff you'd find on Audio Assault or Planet Rhythm. Sorry bro, I'm just wishing minimal would DIE ALREADY!!! That housy trippy clicky beepy sleepy shit!!! ;x j/p haha

But really though, it's cool that Skoog is moving in a different direction. I'm sure over there in Europe the whole hard techno scene is REALLY played out and people are absolutely bored of it by now, especially those producing it. But here where I live, there isn't not enough of it! I think Skoog and techno producers in general just need to focus on more dynamics in their techno tracks, like more intricate breaks and varying the percussion more if their sick of making the same thing every time. AHHH ok I'll stoping whining and ranting... I'll shut up now, move along. ;x

Dustin Zahn
11-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I completely misread. I thought you said you were looking for stuff like agaric and the likes. Reading back and listening to the Pascal Feos set, it seems like you need a little "Basic Channel" in your life.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Basic+Channel

The Maurizio project is ****ing phenomenal as well. The Chain Reaction, Main Street, and Rhythm & Sound labels are worth checking out too. Classic minimal techno in this vein. You can also get a lot of similar stuff from back catalog like some labels such as Synewave or U-Turn.

Spire
11-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Maurizio, now that is what I'm ****in talkin about! ;D I'm diggin that shit a lot. NO CLICKS! ;D haha But for real, it still has a techno sound to it, not housy. Synewave is good too, I have a lot of their shit, Damon Wild is a badass.

The Overfiend
11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.livedaybyday.com/Pranks/Good%20Morning.mp3

Antinoise
13-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I can't believe this... His new tracks lacks soul.

I've been a little out of the techno loop for over a year now with a heavy personal schedule and I have just recently come back to learn of this big minimal movement by some of the power players. On one hand I am excited by change, but on the other I'm disgusted by the follow the leader the mentality.

Let me preface by saying that I like all forms of music... and especially all forms within the electronic genre that hit the body and soul. I am not bias in any way other than wanting my music to evoke an emotion.. And like I said.. change gets me amped!

BUT..... some of the minimal tracks I have been hearing, like Skoog's new releases is have been done as repeatably as hard techno since Hawtin's first PlastikMan releases. I have thrown 1000 records just like these "Agaric" releases back in the bin without a thought over the years. Furthermore, it's dry clicky techno that just leaves me blank. It's not driving, it's not melodic, it's not even dark. Minimal techno requires a thicker pallet to add atmosphere in place of the lost in-your-face beat.

Yes.. he can do what he likes, I have no problem with that.. But people have to wake up and start evaluating music for what it is. If a big techno player is going to change their style, they need to expected to be reevaluated. If "Agaric" did not have Skoog's name attached to it, then it would never make it past the bin of other minimal 'whatevers' produced since the mid to late 90's.

---------------------------
ALL THIS SAID....I'M EXCITED. I feel like I have re-entered techno at just the right time. The gloves are off and the winds change are upon us. Old conventions are broken, new ones are emerging, and for once people are OK with that. Its OK to be melodic, It's OK to be hard, its OK to be soulful, and most importantly, it's OK to call techno a form of expression again rather than a boxed in formula. But don't expect this shift to happen without a change in power! Fresh legs will emerge and the tired players will drift into the background before the next revolution grabs hold.

I just woke up to a new day in techno. I love making music again. Not because of what I heard today, but because what I can make tomorrow. It's time for something new.

Dustin Zahn
13-08-2006, 08:32 AM
If "Agaric" did not have Skoog's name attached to it, then it would never make it past the bin of other minimal 'whatevers' produced since the mid to late 90's.

Actually...the first handful of Agaric records that came out weren't even credited to the names Agaric or Skoog (like We Are 1-3), and those were huge for a minute. Sadly, most of these newer minimal DJs had never even heard of Patrik Skoog prior to his "Agaric" material.

MARKEG
13-08-2006, 08:53 AM
http://www.westwood-audio.com/Pascal_FEOS_Live_HR_XXL_Clubnight_2000_Part_1.mp3]Pascal FEOS - Live @ HR-XXL Clubnight 2000 (Part 1)[/url]

awwwww wow just get the link on your sig!! man thanks for that!!!! Pascal is an inspiration!! :)

Spire
13-08-2006, 08:58 AM
On my sig? Why? :| I have part 2 & 3 if you don't already have them. Let me know and I'll upload them.

278d7e64a374de26f==