PDA

View Full Version : Buzz on my speakers: What am i doing wrong?

loopdon
08-08-2006, 01:31 AM
I have the Tapco S8 speakers and a juli@ soundcard which has changeable I/O part. one is cinch (rca) and the other is 6,3. the speakers have rca/6,3 and xlr inputs. when i use the rca on both soundcard and speakers there's no buzz. when using the 6,3 connected to the speakers there's buzz.- tried two differnt styles of 6,3 plugs - instrument cables (mono) and others (stereo). if i am correct. only ones that give no buzzing are rcas??

list from the manual of the tapco s8s:

RCA Plugs and Jacks
RCA-type plugs (also known as phono plugs)
and jacks are often used in home stereo and video
equipment and in many other applications. They are
unbalanced and electrically equivalent to a 1/4" TS
phone plug.

1/4" TS Phone Plugs and Jacks
“TS” stands for Tip-Sleeve, the two connections
available on a mono 1/4" phone jack or plug. They
are used for unbalanced signals.

1/4" TRS Phone Plugs and Jacks
“TRS” stands for Tip-Ring-Sleeve, the three
connections available on a stereo 1/4" or balanced
phone jack or plug. TRS jacks and plugs are used to
make balanced connections to the S•8:

manual:

http://www.tapcoworld.com/pdf/S8_OM.pdf

from the description of the soundcard:

Specifications.
- 2 analog inputs and 2 analog outputs with unique swappable I/O socket design: users can choose between unbalanced RCA I/O (-10dBV) and Balanced TRS I/O (+4dBu)

from the manual of the tapco s8s i get the impression that the inputs are ment to be used with unbalanced trs (6,3) the soundcard has a balanced output. could this be the problem?

from the speaker manual:

• Unbalanced TS (Tip-Sleeve) lines can be
accommodated via the TRS jack. See “Appendix B:
Connections” for more information.
• When using a TS or TRS plug, make sure it is pushed all
the way into the jack. Partially inserting the plug into
the jack could result in a drop in signal level (by 6 dB).

:help:

RDR
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Having a look now LD... i suspect its either gonna be a n internal setting on your soundcard or all your cables are kaput (unlikely) or your adaptor is kaput (possible)

it might sound silly, but if you are using good quality phono cables then there isnt really all that much to worry about...

btw i cant get the manual for the juli@ ESI, site wont d/l it.

Spire
08-08-2006, 11:45 AM
if i am correct. only ones that give no buzzing are rcas??

from my experience, rcas are buzzy and shitty. unbalanced connections have buzz, balanced doesn't. i have krk rp8s which have unbalanced rcas, balanced trs, and balanced xlr. at first i just connected them to my sb audigy2 zs's main output with a y-cable to the rcas, which sounded really shitty, way too much buzz. i went and bought an m-audio delta 44 and connected that to my krks with the balanced trs's, which sounds PERFECT. so, try and use a balanced connection... unless something is broke like dodgy said.

278d7e64a374de26f==