PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Su700! Amazing box to play and create techno loops

djmichaelwenz
27-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Just got one! Super impressed !

I did some reasearch on the web.. Sold my Sp 808 ex on ebay... Got one on Ebay for $300.

Plugged it in... Holy Shit!

3 days and twenty hours on it this is my conclusion

This thing rules, Once you get to learn it a bit it is really easy to use.

The one thing that pisses me off is that when setting the loop you are nor able to hear the metronone to tell if the midi timing is ok. The loop could sound fine but when you sync it with other gear it will be off a bit, But once you build your first loop and make sure it is lined up with the click you are all good.

The quantize is tricky too but once you understand how it works your are a god of samples!

It has a really warm punchy sound, I definenetly will be taking this out! I had been using reason to make drum loops and other loops while slaving some hardware alongside. The first thing I did was take some banging tech tribal loops i had made on reason and loaded the parts seperatly into the su700. This was the coolest! Each track has its own assignable knob. the buttons on the left side are master parameters for each track that is called up in one of the four banks. As soon as you hit one of the buttons the knob for that track alters the effect or algorythym of that particular track or sound. One button, no messy screens to dig thru. Each track has its own filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! and easy to find efx, Lfo, Groove Qtz, EQ, Etc.

Toatal Live madness!!!!

To perform with one of these I would definetly recomend something alongside of it. You can only have 68mb toatal memory (maxed! 4mb is standard! SUCKY) , and you have to load a floppy disc to load the samples, There is also a scsi option wich will proove to be very worthy!

I have read that speedy j uses two of these and a allen heath mixer with effects live. Thats a good idea!

I am looking to get an Emu command station Xl7 or Mp7... With these you can record in Step Mode, Tr 16 step Mode, Or Live without stopping the Music. I have heard that Emu E4 samplers are Rex Compatible and you can make your own EmU ROMS to be played in any emu module that has the rom system. Essentialy using the command station as one big really cool sampler.

Whadya think...

Anybody ever think about this setup?

Michael Wenz

www.ravinglunatiks.cjb.net

www.poopiehead.net
;)

djmichaelwenz
28-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Whad yall think?????

Mw

esaias
02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
I have had SU-700 for couple years and my humble opinion is that it is piece of crap. This piece of gear of one those which suffer from bad R&D, it feels like it was a proto project for RS-7000 and thus very badly supported by the manufacturer.
But if you're doing nothing else but fooling around with lots of loops you may find this box quite fun to play with.

-Tomi

(I don't mean to troll, I guess the machine just doesn't fit in the way I make music.)

DJZeMig_L
02-10-2003, 04:23 PM
The RS 7000 Is a totally different beast.. 2 me the biggest prob with the 700 is that it felt more like a loop player than actually a sampler... IMHO most people wnat samplers 2 triggering little samples not really loops all that much!!

Yes the 7000 is great but it takes a while 2 get used 2 if u come from and akai/ emu back ground... I had an A3000 for a while and it was brilliant (part from the gigantic scsi Bug that made it more of a Snail Scsi)...

So the 7000 takes the best out of several worlds ... the sequencing (brilliant 4 live work) and the sampling! ;)

Z

Jimfish
02-10-2003, 05:04 PM
are you talking about that tiny little portable yamaha - a m8 of mine used to have one of those, i thought i was really quite limited.. and while cleanish i wouldnt have described its sound as 'warm' nor 'punchy'..

are u sure u are talking about the su700? or am i thinking of somthing different?

DJZeMig_L
02-10-2003, 07:29 PM
U might b talking about the SU 200!!

The yamaha samplers just sound diferent ... maybe a bit more "digital" but I guess it's 90% down 2 the samples u use! ;)

Z

gumpy green
07-10-2003, 12:30 PM
djmichaelwenz- when you were putting loops from reason into your su700, how did you do it. Did you sample or can you just save them to floppy on your Pc as aiff then just load em in to the su700?

278d7e64a374de26f==