PDA

View Full Version : Feel the pressure, Love the pressure...

holotropik
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
A recent thread topic reminded me of an important point
that of pressure to perform
and how it influences
the music and the result of production.

I find that I need a good dose of pressure to push against
in order to produce trax that are good and I am happy with.
I also find that it is easier to create trax under these conditions.

Does anyone else find this effects your work
and the scene..??

Little_Fella!
13-08-2006, 06:43 AM
I totally agree with the fact that pressure to perform enhances creative output... Be it in the studio or on stage...

but only if your heart is fully emotionally involved...

All artists will have had a defining creative moment at some point that they look back on and think, 'wow, that's my best performance yet, and it was totally against the odds'...

Emotion to perform triggers the sub-conscious mind into action.. which is where the notion of 'inspiration' comes from (imo)

What is noticable is when artists achieve a certain level of musical success, and the pressure to perform lessens, then their 'inspiration' diminishes relatively...

The age old cliche of, 'Oh he/she aint as good as they used to be..', sums it up.... Perhaps the artist becomes aware of this and thinks, 'I'd better buck my ideas up!', and a 'famous' come back ensues...

:cool:

MARKEG
13-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I totally agree with the fact that pressure to perform enhances creative output... Be it in the studio or on stage...

but only if your heart is fully emotionally involved...

All artists will have had a defining creative moment at some point that they look back on and think, 'wow, that's my best performance yet, and it was totally against the odds'...

Emotion to perform triggers the sub-conscious mind into action.. which is where the notion of 'inspiration' comes from (imo)

What is noticable is when artists achieve a certain level of musical success, and the pressure to perform lessens, then their 'inspiration' diminishes relatively...

The age old cliche of, 'Oh he/she aint as good as they used to be..', sums it up.... Perhaps the artist becomes aware of this and thinks, 'I'd better buck my ideas up!', and a 'famous' come back ensues...

:cool:

that's a really good post :)

MARKEG
13-08-2006, 08:48 AM
whenever i have pressure to deliver, i deliver. that's the way my mind works and it's probably born out of the fact that i don't like letting people down and i certainly don't like letting myself down. another word closely related to pressure is probably 'deadline' and when i was young it was word that filled me with fear. i used to miss all deadlines, but you soon find out you don't get asked to do stuff again if you miss them. deadlines and pressure are something that can bring order to a more spontaneous life and i for one am very spontanous person - meaning that if i didn't have them i wouldn't get anything done.

last year after a drunken conversatiion with someone in brazil Chrissi and i agreed to do a PA for them. i really didn't realise the 6 months of hard work involved but cause we had a deadline, it HAD to get done. now, looking back, we were working until the very last minute in the hotel room but it was the most amazing feeling at the end of it. real achievement. if i hadn't of had that pressure, i wouldn't be telling you this story now.

the downside of pressure and deadlines for me is that you don't get things done to 100% of your ability. it's always 99%. it's like you're handing in your work happy but wishing you had an extra few hours. but maybe that's me and the fact i'm always juggling 70 balls at one tiime hehhe but hey, at least it's done :)

278d7e64a374de26f==