PDA

View Full Version : everyone going minimal is great

oldbugger
11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
:razz: :cheese:

ds2
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3238/fishingdh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Spire
11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
**** off you retard. :| lmao ^

dan the acid man
11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
as long as everyone doesn't go minimal then im happy, we need a nice mix of music

fac
11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
yes, really great. i hope more and more ppl join the minimal side of life. i already did. i stopped wearing underwear some time ago...

Si the Sigh
11-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Minimals the new punk innit.

TechMouse
11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I agree actually.

It means all the bandwagon jumpers churning out sub-par Techno will jump to minimal, and Hard Techno will get better.

alsynthe
11-08-2006, 01:36 PM

nah minimal is the new hard house

module
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM

its a whole bunch more interesting than 160bpm industrial muck :lol:

alsynthe
11-08-2006, 02:59 PM

its a whole bunch more interesting than 160bpm industrial muck :lol:

by sayin its like the new hard house it was meaning its the new bandwagon everyone is jumping on.

dan the acid man
11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I agree actually.

It means all the bandwagon jumpers churning out sub-par Techno will jump to minimal, and Hard Techno will get better.

you know what, i never thought of it like that, you're right :)

RDR
11-08-2006, 03:15 PM
**** house and techno..

im getting on the real bandwagon..

hardcore bands... ON WAGONS.

http://www.parm.net/b3ta/bandwagon.jpg

You're all losers.

alsynthe
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
starbucks coffee, ripped jeans and minimal techno

ooo im trendy

massplanck
11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
yes all this bandwagon jumping is terrible. just like in the late 80's i& early 90's when people started listening to 'techno' & 'jungle'.

basslinejunkie
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
exactly,we all jumped on the bandwagon at some stage.

its just a fase in my opinion,it wasnt so long ago that every tom dick an harry was incorporating techno in their sets.

A.P.
11-08-2006, 04:25 PM
So where's all the mininininininini gone then

fatcollective
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
i think the only good thing about everyone going minimal is that all the producers who have reverted to producing minimal say from producing hard techno or funky or what ever, this should then leave a gap for all the newer producers producing harder or funkier stuff a chance to get their foot in the door....or may be not......just a thought!!

eyeswithoutaface
11-08-2006, 07:02 PM
a gap? anyone can a foot in the door these days, absolutely anyone. It's not even a case of "oh if enough people are doing this, more people can do that", as long as there is always labels and you are shrewd enough in your own self promotion you can get a record taken for release easier than you can buy Branstons Pickle these days. Anyone who really, really struggles to harness a release of any kind, be it in minimal, funky, hard techno etc really should think about changing their methods somewhat

minimal is great, hard techno is great, funky techno is great, and if new people dont continue to branch out into other genres from what they are known/used too, then ultimately the genre's will slow down even more, and we'l just have the same old same old putting out records and no fresh creativity because people are scared of being labelled a bandwagon jumper , ironically usually by people who dont have a clue about what goes into producing and securing a record deal.

excellent stuff for a scene that's already pretty much dead on its arse!

Spire
11-08-2006, 08:40 PM
exactly,we all jumped on the bandwagon at some stage.

its just a fase in my opinion,it wasnt so long ago that every tom dick an harry was incorporating techno in their sets.

Yeah, techno is the next disco. It was great while it lasted, then it's effect wore off and the shiny sounds lost their touch and you just realized you were listening to cool sounds repeating over and over and over and over. Then all of us who actually like it are left making clicks and beeps and pads that don't repeat over and over and over... MINIMAL! WOOHOO! OUR SAVIOR!!!

MARKEG
12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
i love minimal! and you know what, it's the biggest thing to kick techno up the ass since ... well.. since a long time!!!

i remember when the whole acid house thing came to a close and i was forced to shift to all the bleep etc stuff in 89. i wasnt happy but got myself into a new sound and then boooooooom along came 'substance abuse' and a shit load of underground resistance acid hehehe... that would never have happened were it not for the shift.

i think change and going forward can only be a good thing. it's killing me that there's less good harder techno records about but it's only serves to make me want to get in that studio, push myself and make something fresh!!!

:)

RDR
12-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Curs-ed music. Oh how i wish to beat by nakers yet again.

http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/MusicalInstrumentsDetail.asp?ProductID=3960&Produc tName=Nakers&CategoryName=Nakers&CategoryID=136

http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/Uploaded/nakr.jpg

anyone else wanna play with my nakers? its proper minimal underground stuff.

DannyBlack
12-08-2006, 09:40 PM
im not a fan of minimalby any stretch of the imagination, but its whatever your into really.

'least it aint deep funky house. drivvle.

massplanck
13-08-2006, 01:45 AM
im not a fan of minimalby any stretch of the imagination, but its whatever your into really.

or schranz. :shock:

massplanck
13-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Thers always room for a schranz joke.

Patrick DSP
13-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Thers always room for a schranz joke.

here here!

oldbugger
13-08-2006, 12:38 PM

what on earth is wrong with deep funky house?

davethedrummer
14-08-2006, 12:58 AM
i love minimal! and you know what, it's the biggest thing to kick techno up the ass since ... well.. since a long time!!!

i remember when the whole acid house thing came to a close and i was forced to shift to all the bleep etc stuff in 89. i wasnt happy but got myself into a new sound and then boooooooom along came 'substance abuse' and a shit load of underground resistance acid hehehe... that would never have happened were it not for the shift.

i think change and going forward can only be a good thing. it's killing me that there's less good harder techno records about but it's only serves to make me want to get in that studio, push myself and make something fresh!!!

here here !!

module
14-08-2006, 01:52 AM
[quote="eyeswithoutaface"]Anyone who really, really struggles to harness a release of any kind, be it in minimal, funky, hard techno etc really should think about changing their methods somewhat[quote]

ha ha ha.. what a pool of sloppy bollocks lol

seriously though.. i strongly disagree with that.. fallin sales, crashing labels, format wars.. i think its harder than ever, unless your attached to an outfit & know ppl inside the machine, its next to impossible to get a demo heard, never mind released.

its easy to say such things when your there scott.

rhythmtech
14-08-2006, 02:36 AM
, unless your attached to an outfit & know ppl inside the machine, its next to impossible to get a demo heard, never mind released.

very very true..

i have my first release a couple of weeks ago and another 2 in the next few weeks, all on fairly well known labels on the uk scene.. but yet i've sent demos to european and u.s. labels and i dont hear a word. now i know my stuff isnt 100% always release standard (who's is?) but from 10 tunes even 1 or 2 have to be good enough...

labels probably dont wanna know cause they never heard of me. they havent got the money to take the chance...

i sent a track to preach the other week, he got back to me. loved it. played it out and gave me feedback on how the crowd reacted to it. said i should send it to hertz. chris adrenalin has played the same track out and told me crowds love it. i've seen it for myself. its just one of those tracks that work.. anyway, sent it to hertz.

not a word.

i also sent an email to let him know that it was arriving, i stuck on a little bio (with my upcoming releases) with a few qoutes from preach and adrenalin about the track.. not even an acknowledgment.

really makes me wonder what we're missing out there while the old guard get released.

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 11:19 AM
haha not at all pete, it's not exactly been an easy ride for me, nothing ever is. When i say change the methods slightly, i mean be more pro-active. It is getting harder to get releases sure, but its not near impossible to get demo's heard, far from it. The thing is, if you dont actively introduce yourself to people with labels, or other producers etc then of course no one is going to know who you are, even as a person i mean, and of course it always helps to know people in the scene, it doesnt automatically mean your going to get a release though, because if its their labels, friendship or not as you say with falling sales, format wars etc it would still be a risk. Probably why my advanced only ended up staying as a digital release, but i wouldnt want someone i know losing money on me so i was fine with that.

in terms of sending stuff to people like Hertz, well you have to remember he must get tons and tons of faceless demo's everyweek from people saying "im such and such, im coming up on such and such, check this out" and personally, from my experience, people dont like this. I find it usually a much better way to get in touch with someone, introduce yourself, build up something of a rapport and then ASK if they are interested in hearing some of your music. This is a much more polite and proffessional manner to deal in as opposed to just cold calling with CD's all the time. Remember alot of people in the position of someone like Hertz literaly wont have time to listen to CD's all the time, and more often than not a couple of mp3 links would be easier for them to check out, ive certainly been asked for mp3 links instead when sending demo's as the people are on the move but can check things out online when in other situations etc etc.

Of course its a tricky one and easy to say "its easy to say that when your there scott" but i didnt just wake up one day and have releases harnessed and all these tunes on my computer, everyone's doing the same graft but obviously with different methods.

Getting releases is not a sure fire thing, even when your one of the bigger names. It's not as cut and dried as that at all. Releases can run dry as a bone, and can then just spring up out of nowhere. Like our Template pete. That track was just on my machine, saw Glenns ad when i got home from work, sent him the track, bingo, release sorted.

it's certainly not impossible, ive said it before there are that many labels out there and if some of them are taking some of the tripe that they are at the moment then guys like yourselfs who have true belief and something to offer, i think, shouldnt find it grudgingly difficult. I wont apologise for being able to get releases sorted out or for thinking that alot of people need to be more pro-active, its just my opinion in that case unfortunately

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 11:30 AM
just to re-iterate that a bit more clearer, i even get demo's sent to me now, and i dont even have a friggin label! emphasising the point that alot of people dont think when sending out demo's, they see a name or artist and automatically presume they'l be interested in what they are doing. I dont even listen to half of them because there's no point, i dont have a label and i cant offer them anything, but if someone as small time as me doesnt have time to listen to CD's from people who havent had the deceny to introduce themselves in an email or out in a club or whatever, then remember that the "big guns" like Hertz etc probably wont even bother taking them out of their jiffy bags half the time

it is a tough one definately but no one said it was every gonna be easy, i just think there are more effective ways to promote one's self which i have personally found to be much more advantageous than sending out cd after cd with a note on saying so and so has played this. I've never said its wrong to do, i just dont favour that particular method thats all

theledge
14-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Could anyone post some links to examples of the minimal sound which is talked of pls

I am a little out of touch with bang up-to-date techno recently

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 11:49 AM
im not saying your wrong by the way pete, far from it. We are mate's enough to respect each others differening opinions by now :)

rhythmtech
14-08-2006, 12:36 PM
just to re-iterate that a bit more clearer, i even get demo's sent to me now, and i dont even have a friggin label! emphasising the point that alot of people dont think when sending out demo's, they see a name or artist and automatically presume they'l be interested in what they are doing. I dont even listen to half of them because there's no point, i dont have a label and i cant offer them anything, but if someone as small time as me doesnt have time to listen to CD's from people who havent had the deceny to introduce themselves in an email or out in a club or whatever, then remember that the "big guns" like Hertz etc probably wont even bother taking them out of their jiffy bags half the time

it is a tough one definately but no one said it was every gonna be easy, i just think there are more effective ways to promote one's self which i have personally found to be much more advantageous than sending out cd after cd with a note on saying so and so has played this. I've never said its wrong to do, i just dont favour that particular method thats all

to be honest i never thought it would be easy and i dont expect it to. i've put in years of hard work to get to the stage wehere my productions are getting released... but that doesnt guarantee my anything. you're right hertz is a busy guy.. the point i was trying to make is that if someone with releases to his name (and the backing of one serious player on the scene) cant get hertz to listen then what chance does anyone have? ... and more impotantly

WHAT ARE WE MISSING BECAUSE ITS NOT GETTING HEARD?

^^^ that to me is a big issue and one of the reasons i love the production section on forums.. theres unsigned guys on here that blow me away constantly (rory st. force etc) and theres guys that are learning very quickly (loopdon and a few others) <<< i think it would be a very sad world if these guys never got their music out. but the way it is these days how are they meant to without being in the "know"?

theledge
14-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I dont think you can expect too much sucess if you just sit in your bedroom firing off demos at random and building web pages people just dont really take it seriously...cos there's too many people doing it

Make yourself a fixture on the social scene too :)

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 12:53 PM
well to be fair thats a common misconception, no offence at all this is just logical lateral thinking, but just because you have releases lined up and by the big player backing i presume you mean Preach, well this doesnt mean a thing unfortunately. I had people from Ben Sims throught to Joris Voorn through to old true minimal heads like Dan Bell playing and charting my records, but in this day and age it doesnt count for much in terms of how you can present yourself to labels after such support comes around.

i didnt mean you expected it to be easy, but from what you described it just sounded like another typical "oh i sent a demo and never heard back, why the hell not?" post. Remember no one owes a producer anything, regardless of releases, current status or how good a person's production is. If the person your sending to just isnt in the mood or doesnt see it viable to offer work or a project, then that's just a harsh fact of life.

That's were starting on smaller labels can help for some people, but some people's music is just so good or different sometimes that they do make a much bigger impact with their first releases. It certainly is a tricky one and there are no set rules, people get ahead in different ways, some people prefer to stay on smaller labels and just hide away in the background in stealth mode and putting their music out, whilst others want thousands of people infront of them screaming their name whilst their new production spins on the deck. It's horses for courses really. The sooner people start realising that there are going to be alot of big changes, and have already started in the way mp3's are becoming more and more popular, then the clearer everything will become. There are going to be an awful lot of bitter people about when vinyl processing ceases.

One of the main reasons why so many newcomers start their own labels, and usually not to much success, is because they become embittered about not getting stuff taken by labels, when in reality they should take this as a good thing sometimes and go back and think why arent they getting the support they feel they should, one thing this whole scene isnt is instantaneous. I know people who have got for years and years with no luck, then bang something happens and they get what they want. I know people who have been producing for 2, 3 years and are knocking labels back.

It's just a tough cookie alround

rhythmtech
14-08-2006, 12:53 PM
I dont think you can expect too much sucess if you just sit in your bedroom firing off demos at random and building web pages people just dont really take it seriously...cos there's too many people doing it

too be honest m8 most of us on here that produce are djing/ playing live years week in week out or part time at least...

for someone like myself our rorystjohn its a little differant. we live where there are no labels.. we can only go with demos to get trax out there..

i've been lucky enough to have met a lot of people thru the years on the scene and i've gotten a lot of gigs overseas.. i guess that definitly helped me get my releases..

but im just sayin i dont like the "who you know" attitude. we complain all the time about charty commercial music having no talent and just being a marketing scam.. but isnt the "who you know" attitude just as bad? it still means that some talented artists can end up held back.

nobody has any right to a release, thats for sure but it just makes me wonder about what we're missing.

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 12:55 PM

great point, that's what im talking about. It is amazing how far a simple introductory email to a label saying who you are, how much you respect the label (which is a pre-requisit really if your sending them music i would think, otherwise that's pretty cold) and then ASK them if they are interested in hearing your new music

courtesy goes an amazingly long way sometimes

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 01:00 PM
great thread by the way this, some proper discussion for a change

excellent stuff

theledge
14-08-2006, 01:09 PM

too be honest m8 most of us on here that produce are djing/ playing live years week in week out or part time at least...

for someone like myself our rorystjohn its a little differant. we live where there are no labels.. we can only go with demos to get trax out there..

i've been lucky enough to have met a lot of people thru the years on the scene and i've gotten a lot of gigs overseas.. i guess that definitly helped me get my releases..

but im just sayin i dont like the "who you know" attitude. we complain all the time about charty commercial music having no talent and just being a marketing scam.. but isnt the "who you know" attitude just as bad? it still means that some talented artists can end up held back.

nobody has any right to a release, thats for sure but it just makes me wonder about what we're missing.

Yeah I deifnitely take your point about producers living out in the sticks or overseas...I suppose the only option there is to keep on sending the demos and try to compensate by making EVEN MORE out of this world music

And I agree about the principle of the rest of what you say too...it would be great if the best music rose automatically to the top of the pile just like that (and i suppose a lot of it eventually does) but it just doesnt work as smoothly as that...and to maximise the chances of success i think that a few of the approaches that eyeswithoutaface mention do work...and always will...however much it would be nice if they didnt :)

I haven't really looked at the techno filez forums here yet...they seem really busy and a great idea.

I wonder if there's any other as yet unthought of technological ideas which could help unsigned producers even more?

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 01:16 PM
well it wouldnt be nice if some of the methods i suggest didnt work, ive not suggested anything un-ethical or underhand. Quite the opposite. Be more personal with the labels your trying to get onto, no one likes a faceless demo, seriously, i dont know anyone who has gained a release without knowing someone to kick start things, even the most insignificant thing can set the ball rolling. It's all well and good saying "i dont like the who you know approach" but genuinely, everyone has to know someone to get going, be it a distributor, a label, a fellow producer. No one can do this 100% on their own, no one. Not even the bigger guys. You think the likes of Beyer just woke up with deals one day and selling out clubs left right and centre? no chance, they played their music to people too when they were at our level, and got in touch with people and made affliations and networked a little

there are no right and wrong methods as said, just keep one's feet on the ground as it were and get to know people, remember there is a huge gap between being known on ur local circuit and getting your name known on the international scene, its alot lot harder than people think. Someone in sweden probably isnt going to know, or even care, how many local gigs anyone's done or who supports your music or who you've played with. Definately remember that i say, it really is very important to alot of people. They want the music to do the talking, not some padded out CV

theledge
14-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah fair play eyeswithaface I think you are bang on with that. :)

rhythmtech
14-08-2006, 01:26 PM
well it wouldnt be nice if some of the methods i suggest didnt work, ive not suggested anything un-ethical or underhand. Quite the opposite. Be more personal with the labels your trying to get onto, no one likes a faceless demo, seriously, i dont know anyone who has gained a release without knowing someone to kick start things, even the most insignificant thing can set the ball rolling. It's all well and good saying "i dont like the who you know approach" but genuinely, everyone has to know someone to get going, be it a distributor, a label, a fellow producer. No one can do this 100% on their own, no one. Not even the bigger guys. You think the likes of Beyer just woke up with deals one day and selling out clubs left right and centre? no chance, they played their music to people too when they were at our level, and got in touch with people and made affliations and networked a little

there are no right and wrong methods as said, just keep one's feet on the ground as it were and get to know people, remember there is a huge gap between being known on ur local circuit and getting your name known on the international scene, its alot lot harder than people think. Someone in sweden probably isnt going to know, or even care, how many local gigs anyone's done or who supports your music or who you've played with. Definately remember that i say, it really is very important to alot of people. They want the music to do the talking, not some padded out CV

i agree.. just because i dont like the "who you know" attitude, doesnt mean i havent used it :lol: :lol:

i'll be a whoare with my music as its the only way..

my recent remix on ***** records was a total blag!! it was a bootleg i did of the tune and i just send it to the label owner for the laff.. look what happened :lol: :lol:

he still slags me off over it!!

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 01:28 PM
well exactly, you must of got in touch with Calver at one point to sort out the glitch musnt u? thats a case of who you know, it doesnt always mean its a bad thing.

like i say, absolutely no one gets by in this scene without a little help from their friends, and anyone who claims they have really is lying

fatcollective
14-08-2006, 01:31 PM
to get releases out there on other labels takes a bit of persistence, just dont give up at the first hurdle, you just got to put your music out there and keep at it!! i think also you need a bit of luck...but obviosly the muisc must be shit hot before anyone will take the chance of releasing unknow artists!! times are tough at the moment and this only makes things more difficult....but just hang in there and be persistent.....dont give up!!

278d7e64a374de26f==