PDA

View Full Version : Clean production Vs Distorted Nastiness

MARKEG
13-08-2006, 08:10 AM
What do you prefer?

Personally, I think there is a time and a place for everything. But in the car, I just can't listen to stuff that puts my head through a cheese grater anymore. Maybe I'm getting old.

But when I'm in a club, overdriven stabs and cruncy percussion really gets me moving.

So what's your preference and why is it there's such a difference from the car to a club?

Would be nice to know what you guys are thinking

:cool:

rhythmtech
13-08-2006, 01:06 PM
im thinkin with all these posts someone was on ze chemicals last night!!! ;)

eyeswithoutaface
13-08-2006, 01:14 PM
no contest. Clean production all the way. It's still possible to get an overdriven, distorted sound and still have good clean, bright production values at the same time too remember. I just dont see the point in the really shreddingly distorted stuff, yeah im gonna say schranz obviously because there are some awful productions going on there, but even in some of the more regular hard techno circles there are some guys who think distortion means hard and just end up putting out the same flat records.

big, clean productions anyday of the week for me, no matter what the style

sash
13-08-2006, 01:38 PM
transparency is the key i reckon :)

jeroenliebregts
13-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I think as soon as the kick drums get distorded, you're crossing the border...to schranzland
The challenge in production (for me) is to get a noisy/distorded, spectrally rich sound, without losing the quality/transparency of the production

the truth is in the middle i guess!

fac
13-08-2006, 02:25 PM
i dont have a car

audioinjection
13-08-2006, 08:47 PM
i like them both, for the nice lush techno i want clean production, for the hard stuff, make em dirty

Mindful
13-08-2006, 09:02 PM
yeah both for me.
I love lush sounding stuff for listening too late at night but I can relax and listen to some nasty distorted Industrial shit too.
Like Jeroen says trying to find the middle ground is what im after(put I can enjoy either extreme also)
In a club I want to hear it all!!!

theledge
13-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I think that contrast between the two styles can sound pretty good...

I like em both :)

massplanck
13-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I think both are shite.

Patrick DSP
13-08-2006, 10:40 PM
clean production hands down. it shows the ability of the producer. it's easy to cover up a shitty mixdown/eq work with distortion or trying to sound big and powerful with volume rather than with dynamics and skill. mind you, you have the other side of the coin when it's too clean and you have lazy producers claiming to "sustain the purity of the sound and the soul" piss off, i came to hear music and not another rehashing of a dry Roland box. so like others have said, there's a balance that needs to be had.

jeroenliebregts
13-08-2006, 10:43 PM
clean production hands down. it shows the ability of the producer. it's easy to cover up a shitty mixdown/eq work with distortion or trying to sound big and powerful with volume rather than with dynamics and skill. mind you, you have the other side of the coin when it's too clean and you have lazy producers claiming to "sustain the purity of the sound and the soul" piss off, i came to hear music and not another rehashing of a dry Roland box. so like others have said, there's a balance that needs to be had.

Very true!
Distortion on top of the whole mix = no dynamics

electoad
14-08-2006, 01:09 AM
hmmm variation on drums kicks ass (however distorted kicks disturb the shit out of me)
BTW - Production IS important but really good music should still hook you up no matter how well radio is tuned in.

module
14-08-2006, 01:42 AM
clean & dirty side by side.. imo

time & a place 4 both :)

as for club/home music, i have less & less interest in the bosh bosh stuff as there are no techno clubs in NI that play anyway hard.. but my interest in clean slower intricate music has increased as its much more condusive to home listening with a jazz ciggy ;)

rhythmtech
14-08-2006, 02:52 AM

as for club/home music, i have less & less interest in the bosh bosh stuff as there are no techno clubs in NI that play anyway hard.. but my interest in clean slower intricate music has increased as its much more condusive to home listening with a jazz ciggy ;)

slippers for pete :lol: :lol:

Antinoise
14-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Distortion is a tool ... When used right, it is effective.
However, some artists seem to think distortion is an entire musical genre in itself.. This overkill renders it very ineffective

Little_Fella!
14-08-2006, 05:15 AM
I go for clean production all the time...

Flecks of distortion dotted around to enhance the dynamics of the tune is really good & can denote the industrial emotional content v nicely...

I used to hate it when a rig was bein ridden to **** n all u were gettin was thunder at the bottom n scraping hats n snares at the top n thinkin', 'There's a tune in there somewhere.. surely..?'

Little_Fella!
14-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Distortion is a tool ... When used right, it is effective.
However, some artists seem to think distortion is an entire musical genre in itself.. This overkill renders it very ineffective

Totally agree 100% there n meant to quote u in mi last post :clap:

John Vella
14-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Depends on what it is!!! I think there is a time and place for all types of things!!

The main thing is how the either clean or distorted production suits the MUSICALITY. If it fits, then fine, if not then forget it!!

-JV

davethedrummer
14-08-2006, 08:55 AM
www.myspace.com/mentalspacemusic :lol:

module
14-08-2006, 09:27 AM

slippers for pete :lol: :lol:

yes please.. they can go with the wife & the cat lol

John Vella
14-08-2006, 10:27 AM
hahahah Henry check the last one "FOR THE FANS"

hahahahahahahah OMG **** me.

-JV

holotropik
14-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Generally I like good clean productions that leave some dynamics in the music.
If its too crunched I lose interest these days.
I guess what I am sayin...
I like stuff that will use an "edgy" sound in it
while still maintaining good clarity and dynamics.

I sometimes like to use rough sounds in my productions
in order to get artifacts that trip out other sounds
in the mix etc....

BloodStar
14-08-2006, 12:20 PM
clean production for me. i like some bits little crunchy and distorted, but still clean and properly mixed together with the rest. it can have nice edge but still dynamic with a nice warmth and transparency. I like to use distortion not just in rough tracks, but also in slower stuff,.as you can create interesting textures on sounds with it.esp in combination with reverbs.delays, and so on.. in my eyes, anyone can use whatever he wants, it is just result, what counts.

fatcollective
14-08-2006, 01:10 PM
at the moment im into nice a clean kick drum with distorted percs!!

holotropik
14-08-2006, 01:26 PM
at the moment im into nice a clean kick drum with distorted percs!!

yes!! thats it.
sounds so farked up :)

dan the acid man
14-08-2006, 01:59 PM
www.myspace.com/mentalspacemusic :lol:

haha, experiemental, electro ??? haha, one man and his casio keyboard :lol: :lol:

John Vella
14-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Shut up Dan! I am a big fan! I got a poster of that guy in my room!!

heheh

-JV

dan the acid man
14-08-2006, 02:08 PM
hahaha, i wonder if he's got an album out

jon connor
14-08-2006, 03:51 PM
What do you prefer?

Personally, I think there is a time and a place for everything. But in the car, I just can't listen to stuff that puts my head through a cheese grater anymore. Maybe I'm getting old.

But when I'm in a club, overdriven stabs and cruncy percussion really gets me moving.

So what's your preference and why is it there's such a difference from the car to a club?

Would be nice to know what you guys are thinking

:cool:

10 to 20 k of pure realness usually does it :lol: which lets face it we cant get it in our car :cheese:

davethedrummer
14-08-2006, 06:52 PM
hahahah Henry check the last one "FOR THE FANS"

hahahahahahahah OMG **** me.

-JV

yeah for the fans is my particular favourite
he rules !!

Antinoise
15-08-2006, 12:33 AM
ya... and a sweet breakdown at 1:53

John Vella
15-08-2006, 12:51 AM
I dunno I am undecided on whether or not this is real or a hoax?? hahahaha

What do you guys think?

-JV

davethedrummer
15-08-2006, 01:13 AM
i don't know
but have you considered how close to aphex twin his music is??? :pray:

Symmetric
16-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Here's something to think about:
Tinnitus. Who has it? Hands up now.
I have it and I tend to think that a lot of the "big dj's" have it. Once you've got it, distortion causes pain, whereas you can listen to clean stuff on the huge systems without as much suffering.
I can deal with minimal and clean production stuff on a huge system all night long without plugs, but I can't listen to a shitty bar band for 5 minutes without cringing in pain. It's all about distortion, I think.
Could it be that all the biggies are going minimal because it literally feels better than the edgy distorted hard techno? I don't think that's the only reason, but it's worth considering.

audioinjection
16-08-2006, 06:00 PM
haha yeah thats a good idea, but i doubt thats a reason

massplanck
16-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Here's something to think about:
Tinnitus. Who has it? Hands up now.
I have it and I tend to think that a lot of the "big dj's" have it. Once you've got it, distortion causes pain, whereas you can listen to clean stuff on the huge systems without as much suffering.
I can deal with minimal and clean production stuff on a huge system all night long without plugs, but I can't listen to a shitty bar band for 5 minutes without cringing in pain. It's all about distortion, I think.
Could it be that all the biggies are going minimal because it literally feels better than the edgy distorted hard techno? I don't think that's the only reason, but it's worth considering.

thats not a bad theory!

basd
17-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Clean production all the way, I'm not at all into that distorted sound.. Dirtyness can be provided through deep and dark basslines as well, which is what I strongly prefer.

fac
17-08-2006, 11:33 PM
dirtyness a la omar-s can by cool too. i dont like most of the distorted stuff.

278d7e64a374de26f==