PDA

View Full Version : Are there any soft samplers(better than Kontakt)

theledge
13-08-2006, 08:03 PM
What do other people use as a (soft) sampler?

I have been using Kontakt extensively for a few years, and I love it :cheese:

It crunches up sounds like nothing else I've seen so far

Im just wondering if I fancy trying another option, for a change. Are there any other samplers comparable to Kontakt ?

rhythmtech
13-08-2006, 08:07 PM
kontakt and battery for me.

Scott Kemix
14-08-2006, 01:16 AM
kontakt is the one for me, battery 2 and halion 3

bmovie
14-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Shortcircuit - http://www.vemberaudio.se/products.php
(There is also a free 2-note polyphony version)
Liveslice - http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php

theledge
14-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Wow...Liveslice looks very interesting...havent come across that before

If its by the same people who made the Frohmage filter...that is a FAT filter
Will check out

Jay Pace
14-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Erm - does anyone know anything similar to the Redrum module in Reason?

I still find it the most intuitive and flexible way to lay down a groove, as you can change the samples around so easily, audition loads of different sounds and then swap them about to see which fit better with each other.

If there was something like that I could use in Cubase I would be dead happy.

theledge
14-08-2006, 01:23 PM
From what I remember of the Redrum module...you might be into native Instrument's Intakt?

Or am i slightly off the mark here?

bmovie
14-08-2006, 01:25 PM
How about GURU?
http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php

Jay Pace
14-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Intakt looks a bit more like DrRex loop player

Redrum is 909/808 style drum machine, but you get to load in all the sounds, and cycle through your sample library.

I find punching in rhythmn using step sequencers so much easier than in midi maps.

Guru looks pretty cool, will check it out.

theledge
14-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Ah..my mistake
Was indeed DrRex I was thinking about

Yeah I take your point a pattern based sequencer in Cubase would be very cool

theledge
14-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Pattern based step sequencer i should say

Scott Kemix
14-08-2006, 02:49 PM
guru looks sounds good, i assume you can fire up your own samps/loops into this as apposed to the library that comes with it?

MorePunkThanFunk
15-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I use the EXS24 works exactly like an akai sampler only in software form so if your familiar with akai its great, plus its got a modulation matrix for lots of routing. The MOTU Mach 5 looks really good as well although not tried it.

Scott Kemix
15-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I use the EXS24 works exactly like an akai sampler only in software form so if your familiar with akai its great, plus its got a modulation matrix for lots of routing. The MOTU Mach 5 looks really good as well although not tried it.

if u are using logic then u get the exs24 (not to my liking), i have used the mach 5 and did not find it very good all round compared to kontakt and battery, but i thinks it what works best for you at the end of the day.

stjohn
15-08-2006, 07:03 PM
yea Guru is pretty good... and you can load in what u want! no reverse funtion tho... but loads of nifty other trix

MorePunkThanFunk
16-08-2006, 12:02 AM

if u are using logic then u get the exs24 (not to my liking), i have used the mach 5 and did not find it very good all round compared to kontakt and battery, but i thinks it what works best for you at the end of the day.

when i first started using the exs24 i thought it was shit, but now after a year of using i think its wicked. battery and kontakt are much quicker than easier to use than the exs though.

Andy
16-08-2006, 12:44 AM
The EMU Emulator X is alot better than Kontakt, but you need an EMU soundcard to run it.

heres some good info on softsamplers...

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/quality.php

Antinoise
16-08-2006, 02:00 AM
The EMU Emulator X is alot better than Kontakt, but you need an EMU soundcard to run it.

What an absolutley wicked comparison! Thanks for sending

Scott Kemix
16-08-2006, 02:02 PM

this sums a few things up

theledge
16-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I tried LiveSlice last night

Its quite a different approach to slicing beats...led to some pretty interesting results straight away

tekara
18-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Erm - does anyone know anything similar to the Redrum module in Reason?

I still find it the most intuitive and flexible way to lay down a groove, as you can change the samples around so easily, audition loads of different sounds and then swap them about to see which fit better with each other.

If there was something like that I could use in Cubase I would be dead happy.

Exactly...

im using Cubase to sequence, but im finding that the ONLY reason why i even bother rewiring Reason 3 to it is solely for the use of the redrum module. This of course is a huge CPU hog, so it would be awesome if there was something exactly like Redrum that could be opened up as a VST in cubase so i could bypass Reason alltogether......

danielmarshall
18-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I use Cubase SX3 with Kontakt, Battery and Intakt mostly now, but one of the reasons I stuck with FL Studio for so long was the step sequencer and the simple and easily automatable sampler. SOOO quick and easy to set up which was great when I had an idea in my head I absolutely had to put together immediately. I still use it for piecing together conga/ bassline loops and for doing whacky wierd stuff with its internal controller automated FX.

I love playing with Reason's Redrum just cycling through kits after I've knocked out a groove. You get some pretty unexpected results sometimes. You can do the same thing with Battery too of course, but people don't seem to map thier kits to GM unfortunately :(

danielmarshall
19-08-2006, 01:33 PM
One way of using a side chain a little more creatively is to use it as an insert instead of a send (so you don't hear the key at all) on an independant kick drum or loop with a rather agressive attack and release to create dynamics in the bass somewhere other than the offbeat. I also llike using side chainging to gate my rides. rhythmtech seems to be a fan too.

EDIT: D'oh, I pasted in the wrong tab!

278d7e64a374de26f==