PDA

View Full Version : Umek gives you 'Astrodisco'!

Frank Dogshit
14-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Over!! :lol:

http://www.trustthedj.com/SKRUFFF/news_article.php?news_id=5693

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Astrodisco?

lord help us

koma
14-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Astrodisco is also the name of his regular electro night that is going in Ljubljana's K4 club for quite some time now...

eyeswithoutaface
14-08-2006, 07:31 PM
ahhh right, just that it says in the spiel that Umek made the name up to describe this new electro house sound

but as i say, spiel!!!

fac
15-08-2006, 01:04 AM
wasnt his record on stx also called astrodisco?

The Overfiend
15-08-2006, 01:04 AM
The hugely popular DJ first distanced himself from techno in 2003 when he launched his debut artist album Neuro which he told Skrufff at the time was deliberately intended to broaden his appeal.

fac
15-08-2006, 01:07 AM
nonsense, he called his nathan fake remix so...

module
15-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I Am Ready

why why why did he lift that ? loved that track soooo much & it still makes me think of the New Years at Choice in Belfast where it was the 12 o'clock track...

there should be a law against this type of lazy hook nicking... imo ;)

p.s i think the track is... gash

fac
15-08-2006, 01:27 AM
the tracks sound childish imo. nathan fake, the mfa or james holden produce that stuff 666 times better.

module
15-08-2006, 01:34 AM
jus checked the rest of them... wow. what happened.. i remember the first Umek 12 i got.. waaay before he blew up.. some totally sick twisted distorted techno.. then theres Lanicor..

now this ? i'm all for artists mutating & changing, but this is dance music for Toytown or something.. fair play though. it would be easy for him to knock out another dozen identikit eps.

eyeswithoutaface
15-08-2006, 10:32 AM
wow, this is a strange one. The tracks dont even sound that well produced at all, really on one level, not much in the way of dynamics or groove at all. Apparently they've dont such a good job that people prefer to use the Astrodisco label instead of electro, that's what it says on the myspace anyway!

Umek used to be shit hot, i remember his first mumps ep, not the double pack the one before it, the really banging one, and a fierce ep on, i think, for Regis's old label.

If your going to do this kind of stuff, then at least produce it well, because there is alot more potential for better productions with music like this as opposed to the loop techno simply because there is more space in the mix, which should be taken advantage off. And yeah at least do some original stuff, instead of lifting tracks like "i am ready"

i actually dont mind the whole electro house sound, i have friends very active in that scene and i do some similiar stuff too, but there are people genuinely doing great stuff in this area like Gucci Soundsystem, LCD soundsystem, Simian, Justice, The Gigolo Crew etc etc

module
15-08-2006, 06:51 PM
is it maybe the Myspace media conversion that is letting down the sound quality ?

either way, i didnt lik eth emusic, and if it had been super sparkly dynamic heaven, it wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference lol

either way, its his road to travel down.. thoughi do find anyone puttin gout music that is an effort to make things awkward for djs a bit.. pretentious ?

fair do's uros.. cheers for Lanicor & the X ep & whole load of killer trax way back when ;)

Inquisitor
21-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Astrodisco is also the name of his regular electro night that is going in Ljubljana's K4 club for quite some time now...

the sound of this record has already been commented, as for the "famous" astrodsico nights goes, yes, its been goin on for 2 years now and its mainly going good because of umek's enormous (and sponsored) reputation, commercial sound for the masses and cheap tickets.

90% of the population on astrodisco nights don't have a clue what electro is and cudnt tell a difference between minimal and knarz for example. Astrodisco events are FAR from what electro means to me and what the old consumer recreation team's electro nights from 6,7 years back used to be, that is the best rother/advent/kraftwerk/mad mike/old gigolo stuff. (I'll upload an old umeks proper electro mix, which is actually still the best electro mix i've ever heard)

The cheapest Kompakt type of stuff is not my cup of tea, but its good bussiness for them, after all umek is being severly sponsored by vodafone here, more then any other slovenian "artist"..

Still he has provided the best dark techno and electro nights i've ever whitnessed in the good old days, not to mention the golden absense, cr, clr eps... Sadly it went terribly wrong and it will obviously continue to the local mtv dancefloor chart...

DannyBlack
21-08-2006, 10:48 AM
fair f*cks to him. it aint what im into, but if he is doing what he thinks best for him him, then more power to him.

fac
21-08-2006, 02:53 PM
looks like he is doing what he thinks is best for his bank account

djfilthmonger
21-08-2006, 03:17 PM
what happen eh?

rotten
21-08-2006, 07:53 PM
yea fac!!! definitely! there is no question about taste anymore if we are talkin about pure crap! back in his absense days he rocked it tho but this....

RDR
21-08-2006, 08:19 PM
looks like he is doing what he thinks is best for his bank account

Ah..

the old chestnut of money vs integrity.

fac
21-08-2006, 08:37 PM
when i read inquisitor's post it looks for me exactly this way. and i guess he is well informed. theres nothing wrong with this attitude tho. i was never a "fan" of his sound.

278d7e64a374de26f==