PDA

View Full Version : editing in sound forge or wavelab

jimmy west
15-08-2006, 10:17 PM
recorded my mix to loud and now tryin to edit it using sound forge or wave lab any tips on how to tone it down bass distortion is terrorable tried using the normalize functions .What dynamics should i use? should i use a 2in1 compressor

rhythmtech
15-08-2006, 10:28 PM
dont compress it whatsoever.. the tracks already have compression on them.

if you recorded it too loud then all you can do is record again with the input volume very low (which it sounds like you did)

eyeswithoutaface
15-08-2006, 10:53 PM
errr no it sounds like he DIDNT record it with the input volume low, hence the mix recorded too loud. No quick fix available really, a distorted recorded mix is just that, a distorted recorded mix and no amount of compression or de-esser's will fix that, quite the opposite infact.

Re-record the mix basically!

;)

MARKEG
16-08-2006, 12:10 AM
yup, i've had this problem on a few trax and there really is nothing you can do.

:(

jimmy west
18-08-2006, 11:49 PM
just recorded it again cheers probably best just to record it low and then just edit it louder

danielmarshall
19-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Yup. You want at least 3 dBs of headroom, that is to say that on average the signal is peaking at around -3 to -5 dBs.

When you're finnished recording your mix go to what looks to be the loudest part in the mix and select about 5 seconds of audio data. Now go to Effects->Wave Hammer. Tick the "Bypass Compressor" box. Next go to the tab labeled "Volume Maximizer" (which is at the BOTOM of the plugin - wierd huh!). Tick the "Use longer look-ahead" box. Right click the right most meter and select "-12 to 0 dB". This meter tells you how much the limiter is chopping out of your signal. Now click "Preview". On the default settings it shouldn't even register unless you've got a big spike caused by a pop or scratch on your vinyl. OK, now start playing with the "Theshold" slider. Bring it down so that it juuuuust makes the right hand meter go red every second or two (you can adjust it in .1dB increments using your mouse wheel and holding down Alt). Now click "Save As" and save as a preset. Select your entire mix, load up Wave Hammer, select your preset and Click OK.

Your mix will now be at the loudest possible level without having the tracks being compressed.

Happy mixing!

rhythmtech
19-08-2006, 06:28 PM
errr no it sounds like he DIDNT record it with the input volume low, hence the mix recorded too loud. No quick fix available really, a distorted recorded mix is just that, a distorted recorded mix and no amount of compression or de-esser's will fix that, quite the opposite infact.

Re-record the mix basically!

;)

geez you're a pendantic ****, aint ye!!! :razz:

you know what i was trying to say!!!

if you recorded it too loud then all you can do is record again with the input volume very low

278d7e64a374de26f==