PDA

View Full Version : Online Acid Archive Discussion

the_psychologist
17-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey all

So we've been thinking about how to start an online archive of acid music with an emphasis on the 1990s.

The idea is to host samples and/or full tunes that people could use to learn about the music and expand their collections. Discogs is great for information, but you don't get the whole picture without hearing the music.

I ripped my own vinyl collection (well, all the good acid anyway) to WAV a couple years ago when I had to move across the States, and I also have a pile of acid compilation CDs ripped. I'm not the only one who has gone through this process, so we already have quite a large (huge even) collection ready to go.

Ideally, we would have a submission process where people with tunes that are missing can submit their own files according to quality guidelines. That way we could complete entire back cats of labels.

The eventual goal is to have a library for new (or old) DJs to draw from so we can start spreading the classic sounds of acid again. I really think a lot of the music has held up quite well, and can mix with newer tunes. You'd get the tunes in the highest quality MP3 possible, which sound good enough (from my own experence) to play out off CDs or digital software rigs. And you don't have to worry about losing/ruining those classic pieces of vinyl if you play the tunes out.

The idea of using digital technology to preserve and reinvigorate acid techno/trance is exciting to me, but there's a whole lot of planning involved.

For instance:

-How do you host GBs of music and also make enough money to pay for the hosting?

-How do you ensure that producers (old and new) don't get screwed - many have long left the scene

-Would you want the full tunes or just samples for reference? (this may be rhetorical)

etc. etc.

Please post your thoughts and maybe we can avoid arguments.

cheers

anode
17-08-2006, 03:07 PM
this sounds like an excellent idea, acid from the 90s is top stuff! mainly into the german/danish stuff as a medium base...

producers who have long left the scene i guess if they are untraceable, youd generally think theyd be happy with people to check out their choons otherwise it's lost in the sea of 'forgotten'

full choons would be best as listening to samples you can get only a rough idea and then you may purchase a record and hear somthing completely different...this works both ways

obviously samples are better than nothing at all

SICKNOTE
17-08-2006, 03:17 PM
yeah if it works out too expensive/difficult for the full track then a sample will be good so at least you have something

Si the Sigh
17-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Samples, not full tracks, are the way to go IMO.

Great idea by the way.

The Germ
17-08-2006, 08:02 PM
This will happen, we are dedicated to make this happen

278d7e64a374de26f==