PDA

View Full Version : tipps from the ableton forum: eq + sidechain again

loopdon
21-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Try this:

If your bassline is in the key of A (55, 110, 220, 440 hz fundamental) then put a very steeply sloped notch filter on your kick at 55 or 110 hz.

Then, EQ your kick with a very sharp peak at a non-multiple or the bassline fundamental. For instance, 72 or 90 Hz. (stay away from 5ths, in this case 82.5 Hz or 165 Hz).

Put a corresponding notch in your Bassline.

Ta-da, you now have a little more play between the two elements.

DO NOT USE THIS TRICK WITH SINE WAVE KICKS. It's pretty much for acoustic, or "noisy" kicks. Pitch enveloped Sine wave kicks are too tonal for this sort of thing, or you'll alter the dynamics of the kick over time, which will **** with the apparent timing of your kick or rob it of energy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARKEG
28-08-2006, 01:30 PM
oh man i love you :lol: :lol:

loopdon
28-08-2006, 11:36 PM
errrm m'key, mark. was this ironic? :lol:

mattboyslim
29-08-2006, 12:39 AM
oh man i love you :lol: :lol:i'm with you dude. The guys at my work have been pestering me about this for months. Finally i can produce an answer

danielmarshall
29-08-2006, 09:10 AM
errrm m'key, mark. was this ironic? :lol:

I think you mean sarcastic there oh loopy one. Have a tutorial:

http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/howtobesarcastic/

LOL

Good info. Never would have thought of doing this, but now that I think about it it makes a lot of sence. I guess it carries on from what Dirty Bass was saying in his production tip thread. Since your harmonics are repeating every octive it'll cause less interference if you EQ frequencies octives appart i.e. twice thier current frequency. I wonder what results you'd have extending this idea with comb filtering?

278d7e64a374de26f==