PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials on making techno/house/minimal?

luisg99
22-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey ppl.. I was recently trying to make some tunes but I cant make no buildups or get out of intros..dont know WTF is wrong with me..its really frustrating because i make some very nice drum patterns but cant make anything longer than like 20 seconds... does anyone have like any manuals or recommend anything.. i make techno,minimal and some tech-house and normal house..i use cubase SX3.. thanks a lot

RDR
23-08-2006, 01:04 AM
there arnt tutorials on techno per-se, but then whats techno?

From what you said it seems like you are having the perennial problem of sequencing, in terms of structure at least.

Here's something i do, sequence out the whole tune VERY quickly. dont worry about FX or ear candy, do that later. just get the strucutre together in as short a time as possible as it means that the sequence retains energy. Remember what you are effectivly doing is acting like seperate members of a band, and they all think in different ways and are different beings, so why not be different in terms of attitude with each track.

Work first on your volumes and get progressivly more intracate from there on in.

LIVE sequencing helps here, then using an editor to add things also works.

HTH

stjohn
23-08-2006, 04:42 AM
heres a good start:

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/portal/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=46992

luisg99
23-08-2006, 05:21 AM
yeah, sequencing..thats the word lol..thanks guys..

loopdon
23-08-2006, 11:28 PM
do what generations of other musos have been doing: analyze tracks - copy -and learn. then add yer own flavour. know the rules bnefore you break them.

MARKEG
24-08-2006, 03:08 AM
i read a really good post by loopdon the other day about this... check out some of the recent posts ;)

rhythmtech
24-08-2006, 03:45 AM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/portal/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52331

Picanzo
26-08-2006, 04:20 PM
hey... try to listen to some of ur favorite artists... and then try to get some ideas from there or even create ur own ideas ;)

danielmarshall
29-08-2006, 02:44 PM
You're not alone mate. I think I've finnished about 3 projects the whole of last year (properly). Some excellent material (well I think so anyway :P) sitting on my PC which just hasn't been taken to the next stage of production because I don't feel inspired to move beyond writing loops. It SUCKS.

I'll be toying with some new samples or I'll get a new idea or I'll just magically knock out some interesting new bassline by accident and I'll get thrown off on a tangent. Unfotunately it seems that self dicipline is the only way to avoid it. Finnish what you start. Now if only I could heed my own advice!

One thing that really does help though is finding a production partner. If you've got another person on board you'll find yourself far more willing to get stuff done. Even if s/he's allot less expereinced as you are it can truly help motivation wise, which I find is the biggest hurdle.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other tips... appart from pulling my finger out!

Jay Pace
07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Find something you like

Copy it.

Best place to start, you'll learn more through imitation than you will through tutorial. Only you know what you want to make, and what you like.

module
07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey ppl.. I was recently trying to make some tunes but I cant make no buildups or get out of intros..dont know WTF is wrong with me..its really frustrating because i make some very nice drum patterns but cant make anything longer than like 20 seconds... does anyone have like any manuals or recommend anything.. i make techno,minimal and some tech-house and normal house..i use cubase SX3.. thanks a lot

hook up with a pal, get a few beers & smokes in & jus have a lil rummage & show each other what ya know.

278d7e64a374de26f==