View Full Version : [Leeds] Rm237: Warp Party - LFO / Plaid / Clark / Rob Hall

rubberduck
24-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Room 237 1st Birthday Presenting

Warp Records Party

Friday 13th October, 2006

Featuring

LFO (Live / Warp)
Mark Bell is a bonafide rave legend, returning to perform in Leeds for the first time in 10 years! Music from albums such as ‘Frequencies’, ‘Advance’ and ‘Sheath’ has had a huge impact on the techno and electronic scene. He has gone on to be a producer of some of the most influential names in music including Bjork and Depeche Mode.

PLAID Featuring Video by Bob (Live / Warp)
Showcasing their live audio-visual show of the newly released album, ‘Greedy Baby’. Plaid and filmmaker/animator Bob Jaroc collaborate in a creative exchange of moody darkness and warm thoughtful arrangements. What is more the album was written in 5.1 surround sound specifically for the audio visual experience, which makes it a unique piece of work and an incredible experience for the eyes and ears.

CLARK (Live / Warp)
With his new album ‘Body Riddle’ released on 2nd October, Chris Clark returns to Leeds showcasing his best album yet. Clark has managed to gracefully meld together a live rhythmic intensity with the vast sonic freedom of modern laptop electronics to create something new yet recognizable for fans of all ambitious music.

ROB HALL (Skam)
Also known as part of Gescom, Rob also runs Manchester based label Skam Records. Regarded as one of the most talented DJs in the UK electronic scene also touring frequently with Autechre, Expect abstract audio treats.

DJ N>E>D (Warp DJ)
Official Warp DJ and Overkill head honcho, N>E>D has been performing laptop DJ sets around the world for the past 6 years. Ned has played many of Warp showcase audio-visual mega raves and spits on your worthless excuse of an acid party!

FLAT-E (Warp Visuals)
This exciting collective have a knack for producing stunning film work, animations and graphics has led to them being forerunners of the VJ scene in the UK and Europe. With a fresh approach to live visual production, the Flat-e/Warp collaboration has entertained in clubs and concert halls of Britain and Europe. Be sure to watch their films on http://www.flat-e.com/category/films/

Plus residents and guests:
Computer Controlled DJs (Sequence) / Skeksi (V3ctor/Room 237) / P45 (Room 237) / Ste Roberts (Room 237) / Patch Dolan

@ The Northern Light, Cross York Street, Leeds

10pm – 6am

Tickets £12.50 Adv. S.T.B.F – Tickets available from www.rm237.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE TICKETS ARE LIMITED AS ONLY THE UPSTAIRS OF THE VENUE WILL BE IN USE!

ds2
24-08-2006, 03:19 PM
awesome line up, shit hole of a venue .

fwiw mark bell's played in leeds a few times in the last decade.
i saw him twice at orbit.

good luck with though, the music will be cracking and i'd go if it weren't in that dump.

rubberduck
24-08-2006, 03:52 PM
awesome line up, shit hole of a venue .

fwiw mark bell's played in leeds a few times in the last decade.
i saw him twice at orbit.

good luck with though, the music will be cracking and i'd go if it weren't in that dump.

Hello Paul. Things have got a bit better since new management. I'm gonna be hiring in extra sound to ensure its up to standard for Mark.

You might be right, I was told that he's not played for 10 years by Shaun (Agent) who I believe used to run orbit.

Is darkside coming back?

ds2
24-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Hello Paul. Things have got a bit better since new management. I'm gonna be hiring in extra sound to ensure its up to standard for Mark.

You might be right, I was told that he's not played for 10 years by Shaun (Agent) who I believe used to run orbit.

Is darkside coming back?

glad they've sorted it. they couldn't have gotten any worse tbh.
as long as the sound's good that line up will be immense. are you recording it?

i'm sure i saw mark bell around 2001 doing a dj/interactive live jobby. might have been a bit earlier though, those orbit nights tend to just melt into one long cloudy haze of a memory :blush:
*rubs tear off one cheek* :lol:

yeah darkside will be back soon thankfully.
west yorkshire needs some proper techno again.

are you running monthly again now? 2nd friday is it?

ds2
24-08-2006, 04:56 PM
i've stuck a post about this on the old orbit forum for you, there's bound to be some interest from those guys.

kai
24-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Half tempted to come down for this and check out the Warp boys.

Darkside - good to hear that plans are afoot to bring back Leeds no 1 techno night - its been seriously missed!!!

rubberduck
24-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Is darkside coming back?

glad they've sorted it. they couldn't have gotten any worse tbh.
as long as the sound's good that line up will be immense. are you recording it?

i'm sure i saw mark bell around 2001 doing a dj/interactive live jobby. might have been a bit earlier though, those orbit nights tend to just melt into one long cloudy haze of a memory :blush:
*rubs tear off one cheek* :lol:

yeah darkside will be back soon thankfully.
west yorkshire needs some proper techno again.

are you running monthly again now? 2nd friday is it?

Thanks man, appreciate it. What's the website? Couldn't find it.

I see your still selling tunes, is it online only?

Doing at least November and possibly December but keeping it quite flexible with dates.

Let me know what dates your doing and I'll try not to clash.

If you know anyone with decent rigs I'm currently looking?

ds2
24-08-2006, 06:22 PM

do it! lfo will be awesome. rob hall's a shit hot dj too.
i'd love to go myself but i know i'll be "removed" should the management see me there. we don't get on too well :lol:

Darkside - good to hear that plans are afoot to bring back Leeds no 1 techno night - its been seriously missed!!!

thanks Kai, i've missed it more than anyone believe me.

ds2
24-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks man, appreciate it. What's the website? Couldn't find it.

I see your still selling tunes, is it online only?

Doing at least November and possibly December but keeping it quite flexible with dates.

Let me know what dates your doing and I'll try not to clash.

If you know anyone with decent rigs I'm currently looking?

www.theorbituary.com

yeah the shop's online only now. i was half tempted to open a new bricks and morter place but it's too risky these days the way the market is, i actually enjoy it alot more this way tbh. if you ever want anything you're always welcome to collect, i live out in the east leeds ghetto, about 5 miles from the centre.

i know someone with a cracking rig but graham at n.l won't allow it in his venue, says it's too heavy.

i'll be in touch re dates etc...

rubberduck
25-08-2006, 01:51 AM
i'd love to go myself but i know i'll be "removed" should the management see me there. we don't get on too well :lol:

We'll have to sort you a mask of some sort :techno: Surely Graham would be over whatever disagreement you've had!

ampassasinbirmingham
25-08-2006, 04:58 PM
this looks sick!!!!! LFO LFO LFO LFO

rubberduck
31-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Check out the Flat-E Visuals: http://www.flat-e.com/category/films/

Should have at least 3 large screens on the go :eyes:

rubberduck
05-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Now then, tickets onsale at www.rm237.co.uk without booking fee. Also available at Jumbo, Crash and Tribe Records..

rubberduck
15-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Kai, What's happened to dirtytechno.org?

rubberduck
20-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Funktion One rig on its way for this one :techno:

kai
20-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Spoke to Rob about this a couple of weeks ago and basically it aint coming back. Sam and Swifty took over the running when he moved down south. According to Swifty it then stopped due to server issues and basically neither Sam or Swifty is planning to resolve them.

Personally I think we do need a Leeds techno forum to replace it as its sorely missed, and I'm thinking of starting one off myself as I have the webspace and know where I can get hold of forum software relatively cheaply, but it'd take time to get it going and designing the website is another issue - I have basic web design skills but I'd want it to be as interactive a site as possible, particularly as regard to stuff like an events section and members photos gallery etc, and this is where my limitations would come in.

rubberduck
25-09-2006, 08:18 PM

Spoke to Rob about this a couple of weeks ago and basically it aint coming back. Sam and Swifty took over the running when he moved down south. According to Swifty it then stopped due to server issues and basically neither Sam or Swifty is planning to resolve them.

Personally I think we do need a Leeds techno forum to replace it as its sorely missed, and I'm thinking of starting one off myself as I have the webspace and know where I can get hold of forum software relatively cheaply, but it'd take time to get it going and designing the website is another issue - I have basic web design skills but I'd want it to be as interactive a site as possible, particularly as regard to stuff like an events section and members photos gallery etc, and this is where my limitations would come in.

Shame man. Be good if they got it back and running. As Darkside said there's www.theorbituary.com but it seems pretty quiet on there.

Hope to see you down on the 13th - Got 6 Visual screens going up so it should be a goodun!

eviled303
26-09-2006, 01:51 PM
superb stuff, lfo and plaid are legends, gonna purchase tickets asap. btw mr rubberduck, on the subject of tickets, will there be a crap load of people let in on the door like they were for squarepusher cos i cant be doing with another farcical night where i cant get into the room where the people who i bought a ticket to see are playing. any assurances that wont happen again?

Technobitch
26-09-2006, 01:54 PM

kai you should speak to wayne, he is the man in the know with stuf like that ;)

Frank Dogshit
26-09-2006, 03:22 PM
the orbituary is a decent message board for stuff on leeds.

more people should use it,even myself.

rubberduck
26-09-2006, 07:31 PM
superb stuff, lfo and plaid are legends, gonna purchase tickets asap. btw mr rubberduck, on the subject of tickets, will there be a crap load of people let in on the door like they were for squarepusher cos i cant be doing with another farcical night where i cant get into the room where the people who i bought a ticket to see are playing. any assurances that wont happen again?

For sure!!! Squarepusher was a nightmare event to manage, and I certainly learnt alot from it. In answer to your question, I can assure you that only the upstairs will be open and tickets are limited to 850...As long as all tickets sellout there will be no door entry.

kai
27-09-2006, 11:40 AM

kai you should speak to wayne, he is the man in the know with stuf like that ;)

Yeah I know - cheers for the tip though.

rubberduck
01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Had a listen to the Funktion One rig last night and it sounds so much better

rubberduck
06-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Yes yes one week to go. Who's in?

kai
06-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Got my tickets through the post this morning - looking forward to it.

The Divide
06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey rubberduck good going with this. I did enjoy the Cylob night, only thing was I think the rig was configured for vinyl. When the Tim Exhile and Shitmap played, with it been a laptop thing it was a bit too intense on the top end. Not having a dig or anything, just letting you know, sure you already knew this anyways as it was one of your earlier nights, or even the first event? Had a good crowd and atmosphere and liked how the line up was a mix of diff genre's. That squarepusher thing was crazy, didn’t dare go upstairs untill 4am as it was well overcrowded

I’m sure ill be coming to this, just wondering if you got any plans for any Dubstep at future events?

rubberduck
06-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Easy Divide. Cylob was actually playing off a laptop as well! I think its more a case of Exile and Shitmat trying to push the system without keeping the treble and bass balanced - plus I think the sound system as it was, was not ideal for any sort of mic action because the main speakers were directly behind Exile. Anyhow I've hired a Funktion One System for this one with two additional subs for LFO's set (this should satisfy your bass hunger).

Cheers for the feedback...It's always a learning curve. Have great things planned for this one, the visual setup is looking wicked - 1x16ftx12ft screen, 2x8ftx6ft screens, 2x6ftx4ft screens and then 2 other small scatter screens = acid heaven!

As for the future I'm always looking to stretch the boundaries and try out different sounds and have a few plans. There's a quality Dubstep night that Simon Subdub has started up called Exodus.

Hope to see you there. Peace

Stella Boy
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
wish I could go but doubt the management would approve. Good luck with the night and show Northern Light what a real sound system sounds like :cheese:

Rubberduck, you off to the LFO/Autechre night in Manchester ?

rubberduck
30-10-2006, 09:50 AM
wish I could go but doubt the management would approve. Good luck with the night and show Northern Light what a real sound system sounds like :cheese:

Rubberduck, you off to the LFO/Autechre night in Manchester ?

Yeah definately I went to the Ben Sims show on friday and its a wicked venue. There was some talk of sound problems from past events but it sounded like its all been sorted now. Sure they'll crank it up for ae as well.

Big thanks to all who attended the LFO show. It felt like the 2 day visual preperation was worth it in the end.

Pleased to see Blackout back in action!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==