PDA

View Full Version : Required Listening: Paul Birken Studio mix 2002

Dustin Zahn
25-08-2006, 05:34 AM
This one comes from a local friend, Paul Birken.

Learn more and grab the set here:
http://www.fun-in-the-murky.com/mt/2006/08/bleep_radio_was_just_accosted_by_paul_birken.html

here's the rundown of music and kit used to make it happen...

Music bits:
An hour's worth of cuts and reworks, effects and weird scratches by artists like Frankie Bones, Joey Beltram, Adam Beyer, Andrei Morant, Dj ESP, Tony Rohr, Dj Sneak (oldschool!!), Dj HMC, Nigel Richards, Dj Rush, Christian Morganstern, Mika, Bob Brown, Terry Mullan, Angel Alanis, Dietrich Schoenenman, Dj Urban, and myself (Paul Birken).

Tech bits:
Acid 3.0 (final mixdown was 855 tracks! - unlike Ableton which I use now, each snippet in Acid required it's own track...damn damn)
Tuareg 1.5
Soundforge 5 bunch o' plugs
wavesurgeon 2.56

How it happened bits:
Lots of pieces dumped and loaded on the MPC2000xl like I'd do for a liveset.. cut up, filtered, run off through the patch bay into effects, crossfaded and recorded back in.

mix slows from 138 bpm to 105 bpm and then goes back up to around 135 somewhere in the middle...mostly done as an experiment learning smooth tempo changes in the program.

Machines....shut down...think about it

http://www.abiotic.net/images/mnvibe/birken/r_kipwin.jpg

Tremor
25-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh shit.. Thanx!

Si the Sigh
25-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds interesting! Downloading now, thanks for the link. :toast:

isoprax
25-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Paul worked some of that Minn. magic on this one ;)

thetonewrecka
25-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey...'required listening" makes it sound like a prison sentence. I'd prefer if people sample the audio bits much like a wine tasting. Sniff the cork, do some strange gyrations, swill it around, and spit it in the face of whomever is sitting there impatiently waiting for your opinion.
Go fly a kite. Sqwaaaaaaaaack

The Overfiend
26-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Gonna grab dis as soon as I git home

278d7e64a374de26f==