PDA

View Full Version : Techno 1994-98

module
26-08-2006, 03:17 AM
going thru my vinyl tonight for Tetris Safai festival tomoro & nealry every record ive picked out is from this period..

i think this was my 'golden era' as it were. when it all seemed to fit right & every record had its own identity..

yeah, theres some 12s from after, and a few before, but i'm feelin the real energy here. for all the new sounds & artists, i cant fell anything as much as i feel this period..

Blunted Boy Wonder - Circuit Sex :shock:

still.. it still floors me.. its.. jus.. f**kin ill man.. totally f**kin sick :twisted:

MARKEG
26-08-2006, 05:51 AM
sure this was an amazing period. i really miss this energy in the music from these years. well produced music that seemed to have a real quality control. i think we need to get that back in techno. call me an old fuddy but these were really great times. there's still some great stuff out there right now but too much that has to fit into a certain style... sort of p'es me off how genre'fied everything has become. arrrghhhhhhhhh.. i'm having a bad day hehehe

*mark runs off to listen to the latest audio assualt at hi volume* hehe :lol:

el salvador
26-08-2006, 12:48 PM
sort of p'es me off how genre'fied everything has become. arrrghhhhhhhhh..

would be cool if techno was more diverse for sure. lots of different kinds would be more entertaining this days :)

Athar
27-08-2006, 01:04 AM
yes propably best period for techno,
i think years 1991 - 1998 it was "golden era" for all el music genres,
i mean techno, hardcore or hard trance.
i realy miss for these years too ...

holotropik
27-08-2006, 01:49 AM
there was def more energy and excitement in that period
which is reflected in the music fo sure...
...now i am all nostalgic and sad :(

SlavikSvensk
27-08-2006, 03:06 AM
maybe it was techno's "peak..." the point where innovation and technique came together best? earlier techno, which i love i should say, does sound a bit primitive, while a lot of later stuff sounds cynical and overly calculating to me...

Dustin Zahn
27-08-2006, 06:11 AM
sure this was an amazing period. i really miss this energy in the music from these years. well produced music that seemed to have a real quality control. i think we need to get that back in techno. call me an old fuddy but these were really great times. there's still some great stuff out there right now but too much that has to fit into a certain style... sort of p'es me off how genre'fied everything has become. arrrghhhhhhhhh.. i'm having a bad day hehehe

I think this is where harder techno is headed next. The whole compression and dark loop shit kinda ran itself thin. I still love that stuff but I admit it was getting a little tired. Hard techno is slowly on the rebound but I think it will come back in more of an old school form.

would be cool if techno was more diverse for sure. lots of different kinds would be more entertaining this days

Are you guys looking in the same bins and websites that I am? There's plenty of diverse techno about at the moment. People just need to start looking beyond the obvious go-to names. I think techno is currently more diverse than it's ever been. The key to finding the good stuff is to look into other genres. Some of the B sides (or A sides for that matter) on house, progressive, or minimal labels have some really ****ing crazy tracks that may not really go under the umbrella it's attached to.

MARKEG
27-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I think this is where harder techno is headed next. The whole compression and dark loop shit kinda ran itself thin. I still love that stuff but I admit it was getting a little tired. Hard techno is slowly on the rebound but I think it will come back in more of an old school form.

dustin, you've been spot on with your comments recently. i've felt this alot recently too. i wouldn't say an old school form, cause at the end of the day if we all go old school we're not going forward eh heh, but i would say it's a step back to old school to go forward. i've been listening to alot of minimal recently and trying to apply that to a harder sound but with old school influences. get rid of those blasted loops and just get down to basics.

man this needs a new topic :)

Microdot
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
this was definately a golden era for the genre......
imo, ALL of Techno's most classic trax were released last century.
which means it's now nearly 7 years since a truly classic Techno release.

Miromiric
07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
*mark runs off to listen to the latest audio assualt at hi volume* hehe :lol:

which one is that then?

audioinjection
07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
i think in those years techno was more "machine" sounding rather than just hard percussion loops......i look back to the surgeon stuff and think to myself, i'd like to hear more of this stuff these days, but yes that was a great era

Miromiric
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
i think in those years techno was more "machine" sounding rather than just hard percussion loops......
i miss that.techno nowadays is very unconvincing.

massplanck
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
death of techno vs rise of the pc? ;)

Darkmode
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah there was good quailty techno back in 1994. Techno & Trance was played under the same roof in clubs back in 94 & no one back then battered an eyelid.

The Overfiend
07-09-2006, 10:45 PM
i think in those years techno was more "machine" sounding rather than just hard percussion loops......i look back to the surgeon stuff and think to myself, i'd like to hear more of this stuff these days, but yes that was a great era

I am noticing a more updated sound of the machine in the ones who are awake to that fact.

module
07-09-2006, 11:26 PM
i wonder was it the kit that was in use. ppl didnt have a hundred vsti's at their disposal, so when ya payed a grand for a machine, you learnt how to use it.

like early chicago jackin.. Relief & Cajual.. i'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 records had a 909, but ppl managed to push it to its limits.. as opposed to jus gettin another vsti when they got bored.

i think there was a different ethos to makin techno then. 'dj tools' werent the main target, it was more trying to create something new with ones chosen tools of many years.

dont get me wrong, theres a so much high quality forward thinking music in the last 10 years.. theres jus summat about THAT era.. maybe it was virgin techno ears.. who knows.

either way, maybe we can listen back & move forward ?

audioinjection
07-09-2006, 11:47 PM
i remember just a couple of years back Invexis was doing that really machine sounding, driving techno.......what happened to that guy?? I liked his style.

The Overfiend
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Invexis are kings in my opinion.

Anyways
I was thinking about this on my way to work.
A lot of the conversations lately have been about taking things further.
Or the next sound.
Or how to not become extinct.

Well lets look at this like rock.
The best rock is the stuff that sounds like they really payed attention to the essentials and built from that.
Even now
Bands like Slayer who come out with the goods because they stood to their essential recipe.
Or the Mars Volta who embodied everything good about music period.

I think the best techno out is the techno that is going to encompass those elements which made us fall for it to begin with.
Back to the roots with a new approach.
Sort of an if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.
Learn from the elements you've grown to love.
Embellish from that and give it your own fresh approach.

RDR
08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
what will take us forward is holistic thinking, good musiciansship, decent ideas, clever sequence and an eye on the future.

holotropik
08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Invexis are kings in my opinion.

Anyways
I was thinking about this on my way to work.
A lot of the conversations lately have been about taking things further.
Or the next sound.
Or how to not become extinct.

The best rock is the stuff that sounds like they really payed attention to the essentials and built from that.
Even now
Bands like Slayer who come out with the goods because they stood to their essential recipe.

I think the best techno out is the techno that is going to encompass those elements which made us fall for it to begin with.
Back to the roots with a new approach.
Sort of an if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.
Learn from the elements you've grown to love.
Embellish from that and give it your own fresh approach.

yup...spot on imo.

Miromiric
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
narrowmindness is the way to go.

basslinejunkie
08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
get back to the basicness.all the best music,and this applies to all not just techno,is simple.

snooch
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Even now

Amen on the Slayer. Haven't made any drastic changes but have kept it fresh all these years. Are still as good live now as they were on the Reign In Blood tour. HAven't made major instrumentation changes, haven't minimized their sound, set trends-not followed them, haven't lost any of their energy and don't think they are the next big thing in their genre. Lots of applicables towards techno. Old school sound STILL done right.

basslinejunkie
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
i remember just a couple of years back Invexis was doing that really machine sounding, driving techno.......what happened to that guy?? I liked his style.

i wouldnt class invexis in that cat at all really

278d7e64a374de26f==