PDA

View Full Version : BOOKS ON TECHNO

DJPAUZE
02-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Im looking for some good literature on techno, history of etc.
any suggestions magazines, books etc?
send me some sites where i can order the magazine or give me a list of books i might be able to find.
Need some good material for my long ride home from work everyday.

Thanks
Pauze

Pathogen
03-10-2003, 01:56 AM
musichead have a books section pauze, granted i aint read them (got the Flyermania one for design purposes), but worth a look i spose ;) .....

http://www.music-head.de/session-P3wPEH8AAAEAACwa0C8/books/books.html

DJPAUZE
03-10-2003, 02:33 AM
WOW, nice post dude!!! This is what im looking for, only problem is that i dont read German, what to do?
Any other suggestions?
I am really looking for a book specifically on techno hehe.

Pauze :twisted:

Patrick
03-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Try Techno Rebels by Dan Sicko. Pretty comprehensive, good read. details here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823084280/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-9020228-2878214)

The Rough Guide to Techno is supposed to be good too. Haven't read it myself though. Details here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1858284341/qid%3D1065168300/202-9020228-2878214)

Orange
03-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Raw Music Material: electronic music djs today, is a hardcover book that is loaded with photos and short interviews with some 36 dj/producers. If I remember correctly, somebody got an idea to talk with all these djs as they came round each weekend to throw down at some European club. I looked in the book, thinking, ok, this is probably a load of house, but no. Mills, Beyer, Hood, Vath, Clarke, Lekebusch, Sims, Advent, Surgeon, and on, and on, all havin' somerthing to say. Again, I'm not sure, but I don't think every artist represented in the book is techno based. Still, it seems that club was/is a big big techno supporter.

Besides a nice read about theses djs ideas of the scene and stuff, the book also comes with 2 CDs, also loaded with a total of 36 tracks!!; one from each dj. Each track chosen to represent the artists sound, and style of musical contribution to the scene.

Finally, the price. Brand new, the book goes for $52 Can. However, I have seen copies (in perfect condition), sell for $20 @ some second-hand stores.

So, I'm highly recommending it to anyone who hasn't got a copy yet. :cool:

daviec
03-10-2003, 05:53 PM
US delivery only (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=17436&PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=115449&fp=F& siteID=.qhpzi.AvPY-xCGGqeMDJlNIATkBu6AkOg)

I can't find a UK stockist yet. Sounds good though.

daviec
03-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/3908247519/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-5904228-3629222) stocking it for £22. Not bad. I think I'll get that on your recommendation.

paranoid666
03-10-2003, 06:52 PM
the rough guide to techno by tim barr is quite good.Should be able to get it at amazon.

Orange
03-10-2003, 07:09 PM
daviec's link has this synopsis which probably offers the best description of the book for those who are interested:

Â* Raw Music Material: Electronic Music DJ's TodayÂ*Â*

Synopsis
Electronic Music in the last years has conquered the Western World with the force of a thunderstorm. It has created a new movement that expresses itself in Love Parades in Berlin and Zurich and in club scenes that the "old" rock and pop music never even dreamt of. Despite its protestant reputation of being a boring place, Zurich/Switzerland has become a European center for Electronic Music. One of its most popular clubs, founded in 1997, is "Rohstofflager" ("warehouse for raw material"). It has invited almost all Dj's of importance, among them, world famous Jeff Mills and Curtis "Cajmere" Jones from Chicago, Kevin Saunderson, Derrik May, Juan Atkins and Robert Hood from Detroit, Laurent Garnicr from Paris, Claude Young from Glasgow, Richie Hawtin from Windsor/Canada, Luke Slater, Dave Clarke, Kevin "Hype" Ford, Ray "Grooverider" Bingham, "Goldie" and Roni Size from the United Kingdom/London/Bristol, Cisco "The Advent" Ferreira from Lissabon, Helmut "Hell" Geier and Maximilian "Westbam" Lenz from Germany, Cari Lckebusch and Adam Beyer from Stockholm etc. The stars of the international Electronic Music scene are represented in this book, not only through panoramic color portraits, but also in statements explaining why they do what they do; what happens with them while entertaining the feverish saturday night-dancers of today; and what happens when they make the people fly to their rhythms. This is a book for club-goers who want to know what their Dj's really feel and think when they are in action. And, last but not least: get hot and chill-out with the music-CD included in this trendy volume of photographs and very personal statements! :cool:

Buttman
03-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Why not just get a "regular" book and get your techno information from the trainspotters down at your local store (or on a forum such as this for that matter!)?

Just a suggestion.

miromiric.
03-10-2003, 10:08 PM
dont u think techno does need theoretical literature? it is tough job and should be made by experts in the field, art history teachers and ppl who are into theoretical/practical research.

daviec
04-10-2003, 03:24 AM
I like to read, and I like to read about things I'm interested in. I think this book will provide some entertainment, and a bit of insight.

The last book I read was (apart from "Fermat's Last Theorem") Altered State, and although it had some goood history on dance culture in the UK, I'd love to read a similar book, more techno orientated with input from those who are a part of the techo culture.

I'd pay £20 just to see what the CD's like, and on top of that I get to see what some of the top dj's have to say about the scene. I'll give it a go.

DJPAUZE
04-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input looking good so far, i think i will take a look into the "Raw Music Material: Electronic Music DJ's Today", sounds like a great piece of material to me.
I don't know my life is quite dedicated to techno, and as you can see from my posts i dont have TOO much time to read the board. And besides i know its quite debateable the history of techno, but I first off i dont read too much and second, I would like to get a little more knowledge in the music that has taken over my life.

Peace Out
PauZe :twisted:

miromiric.
04-10-2003, 02:43 PM
you can always try to read some books by john cage. he was one of the most experimental musicians i know of and worked on theoretical part which i find most intruiging. some wicked technoish ideas r to be find there although he was classical composer.

Col
06-10-2003, 10:41 PM
yeah i have "the rough guide to techno" its not bad, could do with an update maybe.

The Overfiend
06-10-2003, 10:43 PM
http://www2.abc.net.au/arts/soundsliketechno/

John Vella
08-10-2003, 07:51 AM
frankie i didn't know u could read!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-jOHNNY

Bughead
08-10-2003, 11:21 PM
If you can remember it you werent there...
LOL

:smile:

DJPAUZE
15-10-2003, 08:34 PM
frankie i didn't know u could read!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-jOHNNY

I didnt know either lol

Pauze :twisted:

278d7e64a374de26f==