PDA

View Full Version : Techno addiction...

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Ok, serious question, is it possible to be addicted to techno?

I think I am!

I'm always looking for, and always finding shed loads of quality records. I spend about £200 a month on vinyl on old and new stuff.

I can't understand it when people moan about the lack of quality techno out there when there's sooooo much.

To me, techno is timeless. It doesn't ever sound dated, where as other genres can and do sound dated quickly.

I'm always looking for that next killer track, something amazingly fresh and new, or something old that others may have missed. It's more than just a music thing for me.

Is anyone else hopelessly in love with the wonderful sound of techno? Are you addicted? How deep does your love go? :love:

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
PS: I don't think this is a cry for help (yet)

Split-Personality
01-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Im not a Dj so I dont spend much money on records BUT...............

I cant function on the way to work with out my walkman keeping me going, sure I get weird looks from all the drones on the bus as I smile & bop my head but I ask myself who's the richer? :lol: ?

Then Im onto the forums the moment I hit the office chatting tunes, talking events and chasing dreams!!!

The weekend lands and all though I felt shit from last weekend until today and I promised myself I wasnt going to do it again this weekend, something tells me I know where im gonna end up.........

Addicted to TECHNO??????

No Not I :lol:

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
The weekend lands and all though I felt shit from last weekend until today and I promised myself I wasnt going to do it again this weekend, something tells me I know where im gonna end up...

...any chance your heading to the Jam?

I am, I need Mac, Mills, Fink and Fenton to feed me! :lol:

Split-Personality
01-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Im there, cant believe its just over 4 years since I went to my first one down The Q :lol:

Need I say it:-

"DRAIN THE POOL!!!"

We're gonna need room to dance :cheese:

tOM B
01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
i think i suffer from the same affliction as you si - it takes all my concentration and will power not to think about techno when i need to do something else :lol:

A.P.
01-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Agreed

rhythmtech
01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
my name is rhythmtech... and im addicted to techno...

massplanck
01-09-2006, 11:59 AM

I can't understand it when people moan about the lack of quality techno out there when there's sooooo much.

you just have bad taste thats all. ;)

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
:lol: :upyours: :lol: :upyours: :lol: :upyours: :lol:

Miromiric
01-09-2006, 12:07 PM

you just have bad taste thats all. ;)

love you :D

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Also, why is it that the people into Dark / Experimental techno are the ones who moan the most and seem to be so negative on this board?

No joke, serious question. :)

stjohn
01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
coz theyre parents did strange things to them when they were puppies

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Ah! :lol:

Mucky Beats
01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
im more hooked on techno than a crack head on rocks! its hard tho coz i love it so much i find it harder to find good techno...no what i mean?

its like 4 years ago i use to walk out of the record shop with like 20 tunes and love um all... now im lucky to find one worth buying! is it good techno is getting harder to find or is it i just know more and expect a higher standerd?

Fusion
01-09-2006, 02:00 PM
i think there is something too it - i find at times i'd rather skip a meal to buy a record :lol:

but ... i do think it's a combination of the love for records and the "hunt" itself

ERROR404
01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I've bought about 6 records in the last two years - partly for financial reason, partly becasue i very rearely find tunes i like. Plus i've spent most of my time producing and finding my sound. There is plenty of good stuff out there, everyones taste is different, but i still think 95% of techno pressed is rubbish, formulatic and boring.

basslinejunkie
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
likewise,all i buy 90 percent of the time nowadays are old tunes

jock
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I would love to spend loads of money every week on new records, but I find myself so limited financially that i only really end up buying old records that I love, or new ones that I have heard out in a club recently.

Sometimes I wonder whether it limits you in terms of djing experience as I tend to just play with the same records all the time. really need to make an effort and play tracks on b-sides etc

But i cant stop listening to techno in my car, i occasionly have a bit of The Knife/Thom Yorke/Daft Punk on but most of the times its recent djs sets.

ERROR404
01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
see i can;t listen to techno in the car. i find i drive like a c*nt!!!

jock
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
well it all depends on the time of day, I am either driving very early am or dinner time.

normally in the morning i am so tired that I cant be arsed, so something chilled like Knife/Daft Punk will do, but on the way home i need to unwind so some nice Surgeon or Ben Sims does the trick!! Luckily its mostly motorway from Runcorn to Southport so I can twat it!! ha

davethedrummer
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
i hat tchno
i hat it so much i stoppd using th lttr " " bcaus it rminds m of th good old days too much

bassbin
01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
My life is shit & the only thing that stops me from topping myself is techno . I don't have freinds but I have techno . When not at work I spend all my time locked up in my studio either spinning or producing techno. My feet are always tapping to the beat in my head. Techno is like a drug to me and I go nuts if I don't get my hit. When I hear everyday sounds like traffic & machinary I imagine how I would remix it & do so in my mind. I hear a sound and ( in my mind ) I turn it into a jackin' groove.

Am I addicted? Yes .

thetonewrecka
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not a dj and have but one lone turntable..it is a friend to the 2000+ records in the studio.
I'm not a dj and have but one lone cd player..it is a friend to the 1200+ cds in the studio
I'm not looking to be catered to, I'm looking to search out my own journey.
The soundtrack that accompanies me is not a commercial Sony compilation of "big hits" from Best Buy or WalMart
..it is music made by real people and their machines that are attached to them.

Nasty stuff isn't it all.

massplanck
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Also, why is it that the people into Dark / Experimental techno are the ones who moan the most and seem to be so negative on this board?

No joke, serious question. :)

Si. I dont play dark/exp.

I just like inventive music in all its form. And i hate people who always mix the same shite all the time thats all. (including darkexp)

But I have a secret.. Even they laugh at my taste. :cry:

benjames
01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
yes i agree techno is massivley addictive, it is a drug and for a lot of people as exciting as it gets.

not to put a dampner on this thread but why do some people on this forum think its cool to be above buying records? not this thread inparticular because for the most part the comments are as positive as ive seen for a while but in many others when people discuss buying tunes there is a "too cool for school" mentality when at the end of the day most of these people if not now will eventually want you to buy their records.

Please for god sakes keep it real people.

and remeber TECHNO is not Hard House

fils_here
01-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Ok, serious question, is it possible to be addicted to techno?

I think I am!

I'm always looking for, and always finding shed loads of quality records. I spend about £200 a month on vinyl on old and new stuff.

To me, techno is timeless. It doesn't ever sound dated, where as other genres can and do sound dated quickly.

I'm always looking for that next killer track, something amazingly fresh and new, or something old that others may have missed. It's more than just a music thing for me.
Is anyone else hopelessly in love with the wonderful sound of techno? Are you addicted? How deep does your love go? :love:

yes mate, last year i was working two jobs so had extra cash i was spending about 50-100 squid a week on techno vinyl kinda sorted myself out a bit now...phewww but like you said it's ****in top when you come across that absolute dancefloor killa on a small underground label that nobody's heard off-wicked buzz innit!!

The Overfiend
01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
i hat tchno
i hat it so much i stoppd using th lttr " " bcaus it rminds m of th good old days too much

dav th drummr now?

hnry culln

conflict
02-09-2006, 12:17 AM
my names wobbert and so's my wife

fatcollective
02-09-2006, 02:05 AM
im in a love hate relationship with techno at the moment... :paranoid:

Lag
02-09-2006, 03:49 AM
TECHNO IS MY FAVORITE MUSIC
I LIKE THE BASS BOOM BOOM IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

electoad
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Addicted? More like a way of life. I'm half way through a software engineering degree. Without my synths I would probably end up like a lot of the people I see in my course - a 24/7 computer gamer sad freak with a subconscious hatred of myself.
Techno breathes life. It helps me through the hard times and it allows me to meet and connect with some really top human beings.
3 cheers for techno!!!!

MARKEG
02-09-2006, 11:36 AM
you know what i love about techno?

we can go from hard shit to lsd driven weirdness to beautiful melodic bliss in an instant...

you name me another music that does that... :)

MARKEG
02-09-2006, 11:38 AM
oh apart from experimental

and ahhemmmmmmmm every other genre.. hahah

:lol:

no but hey we do it better!!!!! :cheese:

fils_here
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
oh apart from experimental

and ahhemmmmmmmm every other genre.. hahah

:lol:

no but hey we do it better!!!!! :cheese:

certainly do! :cool:

holotropik
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I am an addict, fo sure.

Little_Fella!
04-09-2006, 04:46 AM
What I notice is that I am at my happiest when I am experiencing Techno, for some reason...

Stops me bein grumpy if I've had a **** day... :)

Has me leaping for the rafters!! if I've had to go some club or other, coz its a mates birthday or summat, n the DJ has decided to drop one to expand his/her set.... :toast:

I think, 'Thank gawd for that brief moment..!', in amongst all the rave fodder they are pumpin out to the punters... ;)

Little_Fella!
04-09-2006, 04:49 AM
It is my inspiration to create...

A mind needs that above all in my book... :)

Spire
04-09-2006, 06:47 AM
What trips me out about techno is the fact that I think it's the simplest most repetitive music on Earth, but I just can't f_ckin stop listening to it!!!! I listen to 'regular' music/bands and think it's amazing how much skill it must take to play an instrument like that! I listen to techno and I'm like, this is sequenced samples and synths, music by electronic geeks, but it sounds f_ckin dope and I just can't turn it off god damnit! Like someone else said, I have a love hate relationship with techno. I'm not quite sure why I love it/am addicted to it. There has got to be a reason... what the hell is it!?

What's also very cool about techno is you guys! A lot of you stupid ****s have the same personality as me and see the world the same way (so it seems, never met any of you offline). Techno seems to attract a certain personality-type.

dirty_bass
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
We are all casualties of some lost and forgotten war.

wenna
05-09-2006, 02:54 AM
for me it's the subtleness of it all. in your face without being in your face if u know what i mean? :cheer:

wenna
05-09-2006, 02:56 AM
actually i'll add a ninja to that: :ninja:

massplanck
05-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Like someone else said, I have a love hate relationship with techno. I'm not quite sure why I love it/am addicted to it. There has got to be a reason... what the hell is it!?

You used to/still take ecstacy tablets?

Spire
05-09-2006, 04:20 AM
I used to, not now though.

Miromiric
05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
there you go - you still associoate techno with a good feeling of being on extacy pill. that`s a common association, nothing wrong about it. techno is, after all, a drug music.

Spire
06-09-2006, 06:31 AM
That's one reason.

I actually think I can't stop listening to it because it makes me feel special, like I'm involved in some kind of revolution. Without techno, I see myself as just another lemming listening to the mainstream music, radio, and MTV with nothing special to offer. I keep sticking with techno waiting for it to finally rear it's head and slam all other music DOWN TO THE GROUND, but it never happens. ;[

thetonewrecka
06-09-2006, 09:08 AM
techno is, after all, a drug music.
My machines take no pills ergo I take no pills
The chills that spill with every drumfill can instill a brill-iant euphoric sense.

Here's my take on it as I explained to Dj Esp one day when he asked me why I thought people like techno.

When you are listening to techno, you feel like you are cheating time. There is no reference to a bridge, chorus, 3rd verse etc.. that popular forms of music all follow. You know that those songs are moving forward and will be over at a certain point and you are traveling along with it. 3 or 4 minutes and you're on to another reference point of time gone.
Now, get "lost" into a techno groove and you have just frozen yourself in that moment that is now working on your brain (and making you smile, or jump, or pump your fist (yeah kool mo dee...sorry had drop his name) and jam it. Percussion may change and sounds ebb in and out, but it is more like the same picture is morphing and developing and evolving while you sit enveloped in it.
Oblivious to the hours passing outside, the soundsystem in a dark room is truly a modern day "time stopping" machine.

Si the Sigh
06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Techno is more trancy than trance with it's shed load of breakdowns.

RDR
06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
its defo standards.

Loving all music seems to come naturally to children, we loose that as adults and then have to teach ourselves to get it back.

stjohn
06-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Techno is more trancy than trance with it's shed load of breakdowns.

yea...i always thougt this. techno is 'trance' music, in the conscious sense. pulsing weirdness!!

force
06-09-2006, 08:43 PM
techno is, after all, a drug music.
My machines take no pills ergo I take no pills
The chills that spill with every drumfill can instill a brill-iant euphoric sense.

Here's my take on it as I explained to Dj Esp one day when he asked me why I thought people like techno.

When you are listening to techno, you feel like you are cheating time. There is no reference to a bridge, chorus, 3rd verse etc.. that popular forms of music all follow. You know that those songs are moving forward and will be over at a certain point and you are traveling along with it. 3 or 4 minutes and you're on to another reference point of time gone.
Now, get "lost" into a techno groove and you have just frozen yourself in that moment that is now working on your brain (and making you smile, or jump, or pump your fist (yeah kool mo dee...sorry had drop his name) and jam it. Percussion may change and sounds ebb in and out, but it is more like the same picture is morphing and developing and evolving while you sit enveloped in it.
Oblivious to the hours passing outside, the soundsystem in a dark room is truly a modern day "time stopping" machine.

You've hit the nail on the head there mate! Some of the best nights i've had have been the ones i can remember nothing about! Not cos i've been wasted, but cos i've been lost in the groove all night. Lights come on and i'm like " what the f*ck", is it over already? Like you said, 'Time stands still'

I'd say i'm addicted to techno :)

module
07-09-2006, 02:52 AM
the reason i used to love techno sooo much os the reason i'm becoming bored of it..

it doesnt mean anything

all song based music carries stories or words that give substance to them. techno doesnt. it doesnt stand for anything the way a dylan record or a public enemy record did. its jus rhythm & little else.

thats not to say i think its a bad thing. i jus personally feel outside of the 'havin it' part of techno, it has little or no use to anyone. when i hear old Pearl Jam records like 'Drop The Leash' or 'Hard Days Night' by The beatles, theres a substance & meaning & story. and as good as Badger Bite or Reverting is, it doesnt actually mean or stand for anything. now, when i was 22, that was ace.. it was such an escape from the day to day drudgery of life.. but now ? i'm almost 33 & tbh, i get more from a Coldplay song than another Ben Sims tool, or ubercompressed 150bpm german banger. same with mnml.. for all the bleeps & clever use of reverb, it still dont 'mean' anything..

*sits back & waits for 'old man' slurs ;)

dirty_bass
07-09-2006, 08:12 AM
There is plenty of techno with strong emotion and feeling in it. I just think your getting old.

Little_Fella!
07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
That's one reason.

I actually think I can't stop listening to it because it makes me feel special, like I'm involved in some kind of revolution. Without techno, I see myself as just another lemming listening to the mainstream music, radio, and MTV with nothing special to offer. I keep sticking with techno waiting for it to finally rear it's head and slam all other music DOWN TO THE GROUND, but it never happens. ;[

Yeah, this is a top statement....

I've always followed dance music as it evolved since the eighties and have always prided the fact that I am listening to what is innovative and at the fore front of whats coming out...

With Techno I feel a part of that innovative movement.... lovely ;)

rhythmtech
07-09-2006, 03:26 PM
the reason i used to love techno sooo much os the reason i'm becoming bored of it..

it doesnt mean anything

all song based music carries stories or words that give substance to them. techno doesnt. it doesnt stand for anything the way a dylan record or a public enemy record did. its jus rhythm & little else.

thats not to say i think its a bad thing. i jus personally feel outside of the 'havin it' part of techno, it has little or no use to anyone. when i hear old Pearl Jam records like 'Drop The Leash' or 'Hard Days Night' by The beatles, theres a substance & meaning & story. and as good as Badger Bite or Reverting is, it doesnt actually mean or stand for anything. now, when i was 22, that was ace.. it was such an escape from the day to day drudgery of life.. but now ? i'm almost 33 & tbh, i get more from a Coldplay song than another Ben Sims tool, or ubercompressed 150bpm german banger. same with mnml.. for all the bleeps & clever use of reverb, it still dont 'mean' anything..

*sits back & waits for 'old man' slurs ;)

i dunno.. every track i write has an emotion to it. once you get a groove going you can feel it inside you. you know what it means to you and in properly made techno that feeling comes across. i've heard many trax where you just KNOW what is meant by it. you just know how the producer was feeling at the time.

just because we dont use lyrics doesnt mean we cant convey emotion.. a true musician puts everything into his/her music to try make the emotion come out.

module
07-09-2006, 03:52 PM
There is plenty of techno with strong emotion and feeling in it. I just think your getting old.

pickin me wrong DB... again ;)

seriously though, i'm talking about an actual message via lyrics or the spoken word. feeling is in techno, i do know this.. it would take a complete retard NOT to realise this.. feeling such as anger, fear, melancholy, joy, desperation... but there is little to no message to go along with that feeling. the feeling indicates jus that.. a feeling. theres no explanation of WHY the feeling is there... Public Enemys 911 Is A Joke had a message.. not jus a feeling. there was explanation.. as there is in 'songs'

i aint saying this is a bad thing in techno, its jus gettin to where i am, i want a little bit more out of music, more than jus a groove.

audioinjection
08-09-2006, 01:23 AM
i love techno

plain and simple :)

The Overfiend
08-09-2006, 01:49 AM
I love big titties.
More than I love techno.
I love techno a huge deal.
Not as much as I love big Ta's!

dirty_bass
08-09-2006, 05:44 AM

pickin me wrong DB... again ;)

seriously though, i'm talking about an actual message via lyrics or the spoken word. feeling is in techno, i do know this.. it would take a complete retard NOT to realise this.. feeling such as anger, fear, melancholy, joy, desperation... but there is little to no message to go along with that feeling. the feeling indicates jus that.. a feeling. theres no explanation of WHY the feeling is there... Public Enemys 911 Is A Joke had a message.. not jus a feeling. there was explanation.. as there is in 'songs'

i aint saying this is a bad thing in techno, its jus gettin to where i am, i want a little bit more out of music, more than jus a groove.

Ok, I get what you are saying, and I agree.

Techno doesn`t contain many obvious messages, and it rarely spoonfeeds you. It`s a pretty subjective form of music, and kids need a nice strong, blatant tag line to catch onto, which is why dance music has alienated them.

There is no next generation prodigy, or underworl etc to hook them in.

I love Music, and for me, techno is more an attitude or creative process than a specific sound.

machina
08-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Ok, I get what you are saying, and I agree.

Techno doesn`t contain many obvious messages, and it rarely spoonfeeds you. It`s a pretty subjective form of music, and kids need a nice strong, blatant tag line to catch onto, which is why dance music has alienated them.

There is no next generation prodigy, or underworl etc to hook them in.

I love Music, and for me, techno is more an attitude or creative process than a specific sound.

...and this is the imo the beauty of techno - not just any techno, but proper emotive techno gives the listener the ability to interpret it however he/she wants... it's not a straight-forward message, but there can be messages in it - it gives you the ability to adapt and give it context you you're life... if you've never been to the 'hood, it's hard to relate to bullshit gangsta rap - it somewhat irrelevant to people that can't relate, but techno, no matter where it's come from can be given relevance by anyone for anything... if it's not shitty techno (and most techno is pretty shitty).

machina

machina
08-09-2006, 07:33 AM
ignore, the typo's and retarded grammar. had a few too many friday arvo drinks.

machina

module
09-09-2006, 01:04 AM
lol

get ya machina.. and those are the EXACT resons i used to love techno... it DIDNT have a message or story, and at a time (for over ten years) i loved it for this fact. i donthtink its a fault in techno. far from it. i'm jus a little older now & with the lack of techno in belfast, and therefore no clubs to be at, we here lose the whole point of it. which is being in a club with a pa gettin those trax put together to create a new whole.

i still regard techno as a part of my life, but i feel i need.. more substance in home listening, s there arent clubs to hear techno in its proper form.

278d7e64a374de26f==