PDA

View Full Version : Lap tops...

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Can someone recommend a good lap top for production purposes please?

I'm after monitors and a top end lap top, so any sugestions on a quick and easy set up would be great.

I am currently running on this, but it's taking up too much space! :lol:

http://www.computerwoorden.nl/woorden/wdb/gif/bbc.jpg

findthesolution
01-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm a bit baised, but I recommend the Macbook to everyone. If a mac isnt your cup of tea, remember that you can run windows on em. Dual core, plenty of power under the hood, easy to swap HD's (in case you decide you need more space), the list goes on.

Si the Sigh
01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks for the recomendation, I'll look into it. Whats the damage with rough cost on one of those Macbooks?

RDR
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Macbook no question

im biased too, but its been solid as ****.

you can pick up the cheapest for around 750. But ill tell you they are QUCIK.

if you do, wait until Leopard OS comes out, itll be all 64bit then, and the newer MB will have the 64 bit chip.

danielmarshall
01-09-2006, 04:02 PM
cost

:crybaby:

stjohn
01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
:crybaby:

:toast:

TechMouse
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Selecta!

Just found out I get a 16% discount with Apple through my job.

dan the acid man
01-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Selecta!

yay, techmouse is buying everybody a macbook :lol: :cool: :lol:

MARKEG
02-09-2006, 10:02 AM
i run a mac laptop annd have done for years. for business and music, those new macbooks loook incredible. i would recommend one of those if you have the money.

TechMouse
04-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Selecta!

yay, techmouse is buying everybody a macbook :lol: :cool: :lol:

I think there's some clause about them "not being for resale", and if I suddenly started buying lots of them then I'm sure someone would notice.

TechMouse
04-09-2006, 02:53 PM
It's quite annoying though, because I'd warmed to the idea of running Linux on a laptop.

I think I semi-dislike Macs on principle. Not entirely sure why...

I think it's because Mac users are so overbearingly smug about everything.

theledge
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure i'm right in saying that you can run linux on an Apple Mac, presumably dual boot just like on a PC

Just get the PowerPC version I think...

FILTERZ
04-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I have used a toshiba laptop for years with no trouble

TechMouse
04-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure i'm right in saying that you can run linux on an Apple Mac, presumably dual boot just like on a PC

Yes, you can, but you may as well just run OSX - given that it's the main strength of the platform.

Darwin (the foundation of OSX) is UNIX-like anyway.

theledge
04-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Yes, you can, but you may as well just run OSX - given that it's the main strength of the platform.

Darwin (the foundation of OSX) is UNIX-like anyway.

A fair point there.

I'd absolutely love a Mac Powerbook...think I'll have to wait for a lottery/pools win/inheritance first though. :lol:

Oracle
19-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm glad that someone has raised this topic, as I'm looking into buying a laptop as well. A few people have warned me off saying that they are unpredictable and unreliable in live scenarios, but I have also heard a lot of positive feedback too. Unfortunately, I'm on a fairly tight budget and am looking to spend around £750 - £1000.

I've had a look at the 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo MacBook, which comes with 512mb memory and 60gb hard drive for around £750.

Only thing is that I've never really used a Mac that much and it would mean buying new software as well. I looked for a Sony equivalent and found a Vaio with a T2300 Core Duo (1.66 ghz), 1gb memory and 100gb hard drive for about £820.

What I'm really asking is, do you think that either of these machines will happily run applications like Reason 3 and Ableton Live, or am I just dreaming?

TechMouse
19-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm in a massive quandry about this.

I could get a Mac (with my 16% discount - wahey!) but the downside is I'd have to buy new software and learn a new OS from the ground up.

MorePunkThanFunk
19-09-2006, 06:20 PM
it'd take you about 5 minutes to learn os x it is very simple and straight forward.

also whoever said about running windows on os-x? is it in an emulator? cos if it is it'll be pretty slow. i used to have a copy of windows for mac, waste of time tbh

herman
19-09-2006, 06:27 PM
it'd take you about 5 minutes to learn os x it is very simple and straight forward.

also whoever said about running windows on os-x? is it in an emulator? cos if it is it'll be pretty slow. i used to have a copy of windows for mac, waste of time tbh

Once Leopard come out it will have an app called bootcamp which will enable Mac's to boot in either OSX or Windows.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/leopard/

TechMouse
19-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but I imagine it's nowhere near as configurable as any Window Manager on Linux.

Apple Macs run on Intel Processors now, so effectively they're glorified PCs.

Which means they can natively run Windows.

RDR
19-09-2006, 09:02 PM
It's quite annoying though, because I'd warmed to the idea of running Linux on a laptop.

:lol:

Yup.

As proved earlier.. by me.

Jus' Trollin'....

Go on mate, you know you wanna, you can run windows on them too and it isnt an emulation, it really is windows. BUT reallly REALLY fast.

RDR
19-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Once Leopard come out it will have an app called bootcamp which will enable Mac's to boot in either OSX or Windows.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/leopard/

Bootcamp is already available in BETA, but the beta is only the installer app, if it works (and it does) its job is finished once windows is installed, its not active after that. all it is is an aPP to avticly partition the HD from OSx which happens utterly seamlessly, and burns a disk with all the drivers needed for windows to access the mac hardware. you can access your volume settings, display settings and eject the CD from the keyboard.

I run both OS's on mine without hassle. i repeat ZERO hassle.

Get it, a macbook or a cheaper iMAC will cost you less than a PC with the same spec, pedigree and will be two machines in one. its massive.

RDR
19-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but I imagine it's nowhere near as configurable as any Window Manager on Linux.

Apple Macs run on Intel Processors now, so effectively they're glorified PCs.

Which means they can natively run Windows.

Dont know about linux on the macs, im pretty sure there will be available builds.

unix core?

MorePunkThanFunk
20-09-2006, 12:23 AM

thats the whole thing about macs, they work you don't need to configure them or tweak them, they jst do want you want em to do with no hassle. speeds up the work flow, as your not constantly fafffing.

also for someone like me who dosen't give a shit about how something works just that it does, its great.

what you we're saying before about being smug. its prob cos most mac users have used pc's where as most pc users aint used macs. thats why we're so smug, cos we know we're getting a better deal

TechMouse
20-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Dont know about linux on the macs, im pretty sure there will be available builds.

unix core?
Well, of course, any x86 build of Linux should work on Mac now.

But what's the point of buying a Mac if you're just going to run Windows or Linux.

You might as well spend the same on a PC and get a more powerful machine.

TechMouse
20-09-2006, 11:13 AM
what you we're saying before about being smug. its prob cos most mac users have used pc's where as most pc users aint used macs. thats why we're so smug, cos we know we're getting a better deal
Likewise, most PC and Mac users have never run Linux for any length of time - and even if they have, they've probably never dug that deep.

A desktop like XFCE, for example, shits over anything Microsoft or Apple can offer.

Plus, I understand if you're a high-end audio user the "Jack" system is revolutionary. You can basically wire the inputs and outputs of any piece of software (soft synths, sequencers, mutimedia apps, PureData, you name it) into any other. Kind of like ReWire but it's implicitly supported by all Linux audio apps.

Of course, I understand that for people who aren't tech-savvy it's a bit of a no go - and in that case I'd say deffo go Apple - but for someone like me who's a professional Geek, the potential is so much greater when you can break the OS apart and put it back together how you like.

TechMouse
20-09-2006, 11:15 AM
... and of course there's the whole moral and ethical thing of all the software being free. (Very Techno).

MorePunkThanFunk
20-09-2006, 06:00 PM
... and of course there's the whole moral and ethical thing of all the software being free. (Very Techno).

i have no morals or ethics, so thats me out

like i said before os x does exactly what i want it to do with minimum fuss thats why i love it so much. every pc i've ever had has caused no end of trouble, generally runnning problem free for about 1 month of the year.

Oracle
21-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Which do you think would be more appropriate for writing music (and performing live) on a laptop - a Core Duo processor or a Pentium M with a similar speed?

dan the acid man
21-09-2006, 07:25 PM
core duo chips are where it's at.

especially seeing that more and more apps are using dual core now

DJCraig Ryan
21-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm after starting producing my own Hard Trance and wondering whether on not to purchase a Top Spec PC or Top Spec Laptop??

Has anybody got any links i can check out??

tonyc2002
21-09-2006, 10:30 PM
ide go for the desktop unless u intend to be making music on the move, or using it for live applications

danielmarshall
06-10-2006, 02:01 PM

Yes, that's true sometimes. Empty vesels make the most noise most often though.

That said I'm quite a mac fan but I run a PC cause I'm poor :(

massplanck
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
what difference between the intel 'dual core' & 'duo' processors does any one know?

dan the acid man
06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
what difference between the intel 'dual core' & 'duo' processors does any one know?

not too sure of all the technical differences, all i know is the core duo are really fast, they're pretty cheap, and they're quite energy efficient

278d7e64a374de26f==