PDA

View Full Version : myspace to sell music from indy artists

tekara
04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
well, it looks like the transition of selling music has taken another step closer to the digital world, with everyone and their mothers practically on Myspace.

Im curious as to how this will effect current sales in techno, by passing physical record labels altogether......perhaps in the future through myspace, artists no longer have to even be signed to a label to get their music heard, and people can just buy directly from them through the website........

heres the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/02/technology/02myspace.html?ex=1157342400&en=7d68e7d2222dad21&e i=5070

tekara
04-09-2006, 12:01 PM
on another thought, if myspace pulls this off successfully, they may have a stranglehold on the indy scene as people who buy music from iTunes usually goes to download mainstream music, not independent labelled stuff

Lag
04-09-2006, 05:15 PM
almost nothing gets mastered
any idiot can get his music out there
hell yeah
more downfall

massplanck
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Imagine that. After 100000's of years of musicians complaining about getting ripped off by promoters & record companys this amazing thing called the internet comes promising to change everything. And it has.. it has cut out the middleman.

And installed Rupert Murdoch firmly at the top.

Pwned!

Col
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Power to the people!

This is a good thing.

rowland the bastard
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM
i think this is a good thing also, its not new though execpt that as matey said who posted this everyone and there mother are already in the shop, so an artist has an instant data base.

i think its well cool!

holotropik
04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
almost nothing gets mastered
any idiot can get his music out there
hell yeah
more downfall

rather negative :(
wont the quality speak for itself? if its crap dont buy it...

the same can be said about already existing
methods and technology (ie: not all vinyl releases are great)

I reckon this is a good idea,
myspace already has the networking
system worked out so now all is needed
is a PayPal front end and we are in business....

rowland the bastard
05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
this will sort the men from the boys so to speak, mags, distro's even record labels will not be able to influence someones perecption on things, even though murdoch owns it, there will always be a fat cat sitting on the top so **** it! get stuck in

massplanck
05-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Myspace will eat itself.

tekara
05-09-2006, 04:41 AM
i think the only thing myspace needs to improve on is a better search engine for artists........so if someone wants to buy music from someone like Oliver Ho, 50 blokes name Mr.Ho wont show up on the search list and cause confusion....

Im also curious as to how much myspace will be charging for their distribution and storage fees? They are, afterall, basically one monster distribution centre that will rival beatport.com

Quite frankly, im glad that myspace is doing this as this is promoting competition......and in the end competition only improves services for consumers like us.

holotropik
05-09-2006, 08:21 AM
I generally find its better to google an artist
they will pop up there even if they have a myspace page.

Either way, its a new concept and if it works.....great!
if it fails then it may at least prove a point or
spread further ideas.

bring it!! give it a go...

module
05-09-2006, 07:28 PM
my only jip about MySpace is the fact Murdoch owns it...

dan the acid man
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Myspace will eat itself.

i thought that was pop

:oops:

FUSION
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Myspace will eat itself.

i thought that was pop

:oops:

:lol: you have a sharp wit my friend

FUSION
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
This would be a great thing for music if you can cut out the money hungry major labels, give the music back to the artists :)

Jay Pace
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
It would be nice to redefine labels as collectives of likeminded artists with established levels of quality, rather than being the gateholders of the scene.

Labels should empower artists, not keep them down. man.

278d7e64a374de26f==