PDA

View Full Version : New BOA 2 hour Special up (Varela/DAVE The Drummer)....

MARKEG
06-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Feat Cristian Varela and DAVE The Drummer.

Sorry it's taken so long to get up u lot, had a few problems ;)

Back on track now....

dan the acid man
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
cool, will check it out tonight :)

Si the Sigh
06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Fan-fu*king-tastic Mark! :cheese:

Downloading now ready for the walk home with my iPod.

jeroenliebregts
06-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Christian Varela playing the most boring minimal i've ever heard.
What a waste. He used to be in my top 5....
I just can't believe he has as much fun doing this as going crazy playing 4 deck techno sets...

I'm sorry for being so negative

The Overfiend
06-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Sorry but I agree with Jeroen.
Varela is a demon beast on the decks.
Now he's beat juggling chinese water torture.
Kudos for the show Mark good one on Henry!

Miromiric
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Now he's beat juggling chinese water torture.
!

chinese water torture :D

geelist
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Nice one!!!

Downloading now.

Thanks.

:toast:

Sunil
06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Varela seems to be beyond the point of no return as a DJ in terms of the garbage he's been playing the last few years. The Black Codes records are great though, hopefully he still puts some out. He's a bit like Umek in the sense that he can make proper killer shit if he feels like it... but rarely does.

TechMouse
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
He's a bit like Umek in the sense that he can make proper killer shit if he feels like it... but rarely does.
I can see it now...

Christian / Uros sits down at the workstation.

"Hmmm, what shall I make today. Shall I make a killer track? Nah, better not..."

rhythmtech
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
nice one mark/henry.. show is wikid.. cept for varela.. what happened to him? some of his stuff on primate still blows me away to this day!

but again great show other than that!!

jeroenliebregts
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
but again great show other than that!!

that's what I forgot to add. :)

Miromiric
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
whats the emo house tune in 78th minute just right before the dtd interview?

Athar
06-09-2006, 07:43 PM
wicked :cheese:

massplanck
06-09-2006, 08:27 PM
nice one mark/henry.. show is wikid.. cept for varela.. what happened to him? some of his stuff on primate still blows to this day!

;)

rhythmtech
06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
nice one mark/henry.. show is wikid.. cept for varela.. what happened to him? some of his stuff on primate still blows to this day!

;)

m8 do you actually like any music? :roll:

Miromiric
06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
no, he doesn`t. there is no music outside house/electro-chique techno. ;)

Lag
06-09-2006, 11:06 PM

;)
hahahahahahahaha

holotropik
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
cheers Mark :)
its been too long between sets
ahh...coffee has just arrived, will sit back
and enjoy the ride.

Sinister_Minister
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I just shit myself I'm so excited for a new BOA radio show.

Respect out to Mark for running the best electronic music radio show going.

Sinister_Minister
06-09-2006, 11:25 PM
and to add I was truly distressed that BOA was gone so long. Great to see it back, its been too long.

wenna
07-09-2006, 12:24 AM
yay!!! :)

Sunil
07-09-2006, 12:59 AM
He's a bit like Umek in the sense that he can make proper killer shit if he feels like it... but rarely does.
I can see it now...

Christian / Uros sits down at the workstation.

"Hmmm, what shall I make today. Shall I make a killer track? Nah, better not..."

ok, lets compare a dodgy Recycled Loops to a good Consumer Recreation or Novamute by Umek, or a bad Intec to a Black Codes by Varela. I think it's pretty obvious that one is made to be accessible and cater to the cheesier end of the market, while the other is made rougher and nastier to melt brains. Both producers know the difference, even if it may not be as clear cut a thought pattern as you're sarcastically suggesting.

Sunil
07-09-2006, 01:01 AM

;)

m8 do you actually like any music? :roll:

The stuff he did on Primate in 1999/2000-ish was wicked at the time.

module
07-09-2006, 02:23 AM
cept for varela.. what happened to him? some of his stuff on primate still blows me away to this day!

amen to that.. loved his early bongo madness.. loads of breaks & doubles & tripltets. proper driving percussion led techno with sooo much energy.

aint heard a CV thing in long time now.. but i'm gonna get this show & see if his mnml shizzle is as bad as peeps say..

The Overfiend
07-09-2006, 04:46 AM
All points granted
but that Beltram remix at the prompt of the show kills everything.

electoad
07-09-2006, 07:42 AM
thanks Mark!!!!!! :clap: :dance:

module
07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
checked the show out... the Beltram track is sooo predicatble.. sounds like someone nicked his samples & threw a tune together lol

the CV mix is very very disapointing... i really really dont dig that sound.. that is electro tinged house imo, not mnml styled music.. either way, thought it was poo stix ;)

yo mark, how many whoopy zingy noises did ya make for the ads in that show lol

Antinoise
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Ok... this gets my nerves a little.. Everyone is trashing the Cristian Varela mix..... but its a really f**kin good minimal set. I'm listien at work and am really feeling it.. Its setting a wicked mood here.

Do I want to hear this at 2am.. probally not.. Do I want t hear this in the red lounge with a curled up with a hot chick in the plush seets.... F**k ya.. Time and a place for everything...

Everyone needs to throw their expetation out the window and open their eyes and ears to something new.. Let people evolve if they want to.. That's how techno is going to move foward.

The Overfiend
07-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok... this gets my nerves a little.. Everyone is trashing the Cristian Varela mix..... but its a really f**kin good minimal set. I'm listien at work and am really feeling it.. Its setting a wicked mood here.

Do I want to hear this at 2am.. probally not.. Do I want t hear this in the red lounge with a curled up with a hot chick in the plush seets.... F**k ya.. Time and a place for everything...

Everyone needs to throw their expetation out the window and open their eyes and ears to something new.. Let people evolve if they want to.. That's how techno is going to move foward.

Point taken G.

module
07-09-2006, 11:31 PM

see.. i wouldnt class that CV mix as mnml.. its jus synth/electro flavoured tehno & house.

i think one mans mnml is another mans elctro house. either way, i didnt like it. i aint trashing it, i jus do not like it.

great stuff from mr drummer.

A VOTE FOR DRUMMER IS A VOTE FOR TECHNO :)

seriously, if i had to pick one man to represent techno, it would be this man. met him once & he was a total gent. makes all sorts of outstanding techno & is an excellent dj. aint seen him live, but its now on the 'things to do...' list...

good show mr EG.. first ive checked & i think i'll be thru the rest in reverse order :)

holotropik
07-09-2006, 11:36 PM
farkin great 2hour show!!
really got my day started on the right track ;)

MARKEG
08-09-2006, 03:19 AM
thanks guys!

you know, i had a bit of a break from the show so it was amazing to get back on it.

i really am not going to give this show up. sure we're having probs abroad but i wiill KEEP DOING IT!!!

i just wanna give a massive shout to henry and cristian.

i know that mix from c iis totally not what we expected, but that's techno and i like it! i respect him for trying something new, but i totally see everyone's point of view. not my choice for a sat nigth but goood listening nevertheless!

h, was a legend. i loved doing that interview! and the mix was just brilliant. thank you mate :)

also wanted to ask if anyone has a chance to put their voice into soundforge/wav for the show, please send me via yousendit... info@blackoutaudio.co.uk... i need some nice jingles over the top of ppl just being themselves or adding some humour to the show ;)

anywayz cheers for the d/l's guys hehehe

Dorian Hunter
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Sorry mate, can`t see where Varela is trying something new, just following nowadays trend to make Techno more and more boring. Nevertheless, big respect to him for his older productions and skills.
And Henry, you rock, keep it banging! True Techno will never die :cheese:

Si the Sigh
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
DTD = Shit hot.
CV = Not liking.

Over all score, 8/10 :cheese:

dan the acid man
08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
great show once again, i enjoyed listening to it all

Dustin Zahn
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I haven't listened yet, but I can already say I'd rather here CV play some minimal than the tribal stuff he usually plays.

force
08-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Dont see what the problem is with the CV set, sure its not avin it, but very nice all the same

The Overfiend
08-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Best part of the show was how Humble Henry was and how he thanked Mark for doing what he does.

davethedrummer
08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Best part of the show was how Humble Henry was and how he thanked Mark for doing what he does.

i had my press department working on my speech for a couple of weeks , i think it works.

now , where did i put the keys for my mercedes? :paranoid:

gingermatt
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
just got broadband and downloaded radio show wicked from start to finish :twisted:

dan the acid man
09-09-2006, 12:22 AM

i had my press department working on my speech for a couple of weeks , i think it works.

now , where did i put the keys for my mercedes? :paranoid:

probably right next to the keys for your porsche, or did you leave them on your private jet ?

The Overfiend
09-09-2006, 01:09 AM
back of the maybach next to the water cooler.

module
09-09-2006, 01:37 AM
in fairness, all due respect to CV for doing what HE wants.. i didnt like it, but that dont mean noting.

i didnt dig it, but at least hes moving. i hate producers who stay in the same 'loop' for their entire career. kudos to CV for moving where he wants, and if i had a chance i'd say this..

'i dint like it.. i loved your early worsk. but this i dint like. regardless, fair f*cks to ya mate for going with YOUR flow.. take care geez :O)'

davethedrummer
09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
ok i haven't actually listened to the show yet
( i'm being a single parent this weekend , the wifes in (h)amsterdam )
but i have to say 1 thing.
christian varela changed his sound in a major way once already from playing trance to playing techno
that was a good 10 years ago now and i know this for a fact because the liberators used to go out to north spain and play with christian all the time , in fact thats why he ended up doing 4x4x6 ( i think it was that one ) which was one of his first techno production efforts.
also, before that he remixed one of my old acid techno tracks "control" on the very first release from the s.u.f. remix label.
so for him to change style again is inevitable really nothing to be surprised at , especially now when there is such a big movement going on in the techno world , and just like the first time , he'll meet the critics head on.
but i rec kon , judging from his track record , you'll be getting into what he's playing soon ( and perhaps he'll be tweaking his sound into something more energetic ), and give it a year or so his set here will probably become a much sought after classic set.

i reckon................. ( now i'll go and listen to the set )

The Overfiend
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Give this man a beer.

dan the acid man
09-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Give this man a beer.

i think he'd love a fosters :cheese:

MARKEG
10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
well if i know h, any type of beer will do :lol:

Dirtyacid
10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Been waiting for the drummer on BOA radio downloading right away.

davethedrummer
10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
ah yes beer .....hang on a sec

:toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke: :toast: :puke:

oh christ!!

one babycham and it's all over

BloodStar
11-09-2006, 04:19 PM
will download this when i get back home from work...

Little_Fella!
13-09-2006, 05:45 AM
The show sounds rather professionally put together...

Good pace, nicely laid out, upbeat commentary and interviews, not much umm-ing n arr-ing going on... polished is the word...

I have heard alot of independent radio stations that are so lazy in there approach to content and presentation- rubbish I say! :headache:

I bet it takes up a good chunk of your time...

Still, if ever there was a good platform to work from in regards to bolstering the Techno movement for the future, then this is the top one so far, imo... :)

Xavi
13-09-2006, 03:53 PM
downoading brovvas :) .. respect to DTD $#!@

cheerz Mark ... keep em comin'

dubs
13-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I liked both sets. CV had a nice grove for a club. He still remains one of the best dj's i've seen. I liked the sound a lot. Henry was spot as per usual. Mark, if you make our show on your trip to Melbourne, you'll see a far more (aussie) laid back style to presenting. Hope to see when you come for earthcore.

davethedrummer
14-09-2006, 09:46 AM
ok listened to it now
christians set is great , i love it

A.P.
14-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Excellent show this one Mark & Chrissi.
Top stuff from Varela an Henry.
Also some great new tracks played by everyone on the show, nice one!

Sinister_Minister
15-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Great show Mark. Having Chrissi on was a nice touch and brought a bit of glamour to the table. Plus she has a great voice and good wit.

Loved the sets. CV was cool far as I'm concerned and DTD tore shit up as expected. I personally appreciate the musical diversity of BOA radio show. I may not dig every track but thanks for the techno cross section.

Peace!

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2006, 12:56 PM
the main problem is just a classic love for an artist who in their prime (excuse the pun) was known for a certain sound, and actually did that sound remarkably well for a time, ive just listened to the mix and whilst i did enjoy it, i wouldnt of thought it was Varela unless someone had told me, if you get me. There are ton's of the harder/tribal/"normal" techno artists moving over into the electronic and minimal scene, we'd be here all day if we were to slag them off too.

Too many people not concentrating on their own stuff and worrying about who they can shoot down next, i say good on Varela for doing what he wants to do, ok it maybe following the latest trend to an extent, but has anyone stopped for a minute to think he might actually LIKE the music he is doing and playing now? surely thats half the reason the majority of artists are playing/making the sound they are at present? of course there will be some purely selling out and hoping to make quick cash off the latest sound, but i honestly dont think this is the case here. I was never massively into Varela anyway, i appreciate how superb he is on the decks and some of his older records that i have seriously kill it.

I just find it a shame sometimes more than anything. His productions have gone rapidly downhill for me personally, the last few bits on Intec have been borderline shockingly bad when compared to records from 6, 7 years ago that he was doing. But im sure it's not going to bother him. He made his mark a long time ago and now he probably feels he can do other types of music without it damaging him. It's kinda like Henry's recent dilemma

good show but i'd personally love to hear some fresher artists, feel's to "matey" and in each others pockets if you get me. And when i say fresh talent, i mean good fresh talent not people like Manuel Fuentes or Dj Hal. No offence of course mark, you know me! :)

MARKEG
15-09-2006, 01:42 PM
good show but i'd personally love to hear some fresher artists, feel's to "matey" and in each others pockets if you get me. And when i say fresh talent, i mean good fresh talent not people like Manuel Fuentes or Dj Hal. No offence of course mark, you know me! :)

No offence taken at all mate! Just list people you want and I will try to sort it :)

massplanck
15-09-2006, 01:45 PM

excellent post.

well said eyes. I would have said the same but didnt have the balls. There are a shitload of people even who post on BOA who get overlooked for stuff like this and could put alot of establilshed artists to shame. They actually ARE doing something different but it is inspite of this that they dont get a look in.

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2006, 01:54 PM
well it's something i know alot of people on here feel, just some people fear offending the boss here, some think it'l harm their chances of further affiliation with the Blackout label/show etc etc. Probably a sub-concious thing with alot, certainly the newer up and coming peeps on here, but that's how it is really. It genuinely does feel to me like these are all artists that mark knows personally and it just smacks of doing people favours, il rub your back you rub mine kinda thing. And i mean, who the frig is Dj Hal? i checked his stuff and it was totally dire, plus i'd never heard of him, i mean AT ALL, and it just confuses me when there are people like say Dirty Bass who does some of the most rocking live sets around and people like that get over looked.

ease up on the big names and mates and take some real chances i say, otherwise there's not much point. I mean you can fine dave the drummer, varela, mike humphries, practically all the guests who have been on, set's all over the internet 24/7 to download, so i dont see the point in putting people like that on a radio show, however good as artists they maybe

massplanck
15-09-2006, 01:57 PM
ease up on the big names and mates and take some real chances i say, otherwise there's not much point. I mean you can fine dave the drummer, varela, mike humphries, practically all the guests who have been on, set's all over the internet 24/7 to download, so i dont see the point in putting people like that on a radio show, however good as artists they maybe

you beauty eyes!

TechMouse
15-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Get Tim Exile to do you a Techno live set.

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2006, 02:00 PM
yeah something really not the normal, Tim would be great

massplanck
15-09-2006, 02:09 PM
yeah. but dont leave it at that... not just a Token 'forward thinking techno dj... blah etc'. Make it your mission. Hunt down artists who are actually innovative.

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2006, 02:13 PM
yep definately, it's no good just us listing people we want on, whilst it's good for idea's, it doesnt ultimately solve the problem

massplanck
15-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Im only pitching in on this Mark because you start threads about 'pushing techno forward' and then have djs & artists who have been doing the same thing for 10 years + on the show every week. I have nothing against the artists and own quite a few records by them but I cant reconcilate the the whole 'pushing techno forward' cathphrase with the show.

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2006, 02:22 PM
knowing mark he wouldnt take any of this personally, which is a good thing, as i know alot of people on here who would see this as an attack, when it couldnt be any further from the truth. Ive always had a problem with the "pushing techno forward" thing, because i genuinely dont feel like anyone in this day and age is. Certainly not people who have been pushing their same sound for nigh on ten years

TechMouse
15-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Get Tim Wright to do a live set too.

It could be a "Tim" special.

MARKEG
15-09-2006, 02:57 PM
i personally am very into some of the names i've had on and i'm not having them on because they're mates or 'old school' names. it's because i really like what they're doing/have done and really want to see what they're up to. i do agree that we need to delve further into future talent and i really want to get deeper into this. i get so much good new stuff through from so many new people, i really should make it more of a focus i think.

ok look some great comments. let me start a new thread about this :)

sash
16-09-2006, 08:41 PM
massplanck - "Don't come crying me to when fenrir the wolf eats the sun and ragnarok is upon us"

Man i've just come home from a half decent night out and read this quote and it's flipped my brain upside down....What the hell does this mean? :lol:

*downloading show now*

andy28
17-09-2006, 06:07 PM
nice one...just d/l'd...cheers!

278d7e64a374de26f==