PDA

View Full Version : Mash Ups Illegal

TechMouse
08-09-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.audiohacker.com/

World Famous Arrested by Local Police

Portland, OR - At 2:30 this morning, local DJ "World Famous Audio Hacker" was taken into custody by police after a performance at The Glitch Lounge, an underground dance club in the warehouse district downtown. Although specific charges have not yet been publicly made, one officer confirmed the DJ was taken into custody for performing unlicensed bootleg remixes, known as "mash-ups", at the venue.

"Currently, the U.S. performance license that permits DJs and night clubs to play copywritten songs," explained the unnamed officer, "is a strict license that does not allow home-made alterations under the same license. Once the illegal versions of the music are performed in public, it becomes a crime that can be enforced by an officer."

When pressed to confirm if any complaints had been filed against World Famous Audio Hacker, the officer simply stated: "We were made aware of the nature of material that this DJ typically performs based on a complaint by one of the copyright owners. Once the illegal art in question was performed during the night, our officers were empowered to take him into custody."

In other words, it appears there was a specific complaint against a well-known mash-up by World Famous. The officers were present during the performance, and apparently were issued a warrant for arrest as soon as the mash-up in question was played at World Famous' Sunday night performance.

Some speculation has been made by fans that Warner Music may have filed the complaint due to a history of conflict between the label and World Famous.

We are still working the details to confirm this story.

There has been no word if the Glitch Lounge will lose their performance license in relation to this arrest.

http://www.audiohacker.com/_img/art_freewfah-arrest.jpg

http://www.audiohacker.com/_img/art_freewfah-arrest2.jpg

http://www.audiohacker.com/_img/art_glitch.gif

How dumb?

"... When asked if the club will support any mash-up events in the future, (the club) responded: "It's a ridiculous restraint placed on us at this time. If a DJ is doing a mix and blends two songs together live by playing 'untampered' sources on top of each other, there is no licensing issue. If our DJs do non-stop beat matching, there is still no licensing issue. If they alter a song digitally to result in the exact same sound, then apparently the police will kick our windows in, steal our equipment, and jail our DJs...."

Jay Pace
08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Pathetic.

Hopefully this will result in a test trial where they will rule against this ridiculous interference, and stop police from taking similar actions in the future.

robin m
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
:lol:

Great stuff. What next, mixing's not allowed? You can only play music in public if you play it in full and credit the artist afterwards?

"This one's by Mara Branco, Julian Sandell & Henry Cullen; it's called 'hard' - thanks to the lovely people at 4x4 recordings for letting us share this one with you tonight."

...clank clank clank clank...

7 minutes later:

"...okay, hope you all enjoyed that! This next one's by 'Jah Scoop Meets Tiddles Uptown'..." etc etc

:doh:

Patrick DSP
08-09-2006, 07:44 PM
what about people that mix 2 or more normal records together to make something new live at the club?
or people who do live ableton mashups? can they be busted too. or is it only for people who pre-record it at home and burn it to cd to play later?

dirty_bass
08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
This is so dumb it`s obscene.
Just more attempts by the corporate music machine to extract money wherever they can.

SlavikSvensk
08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
you'd think it was too small-fry for anyone to care!

where did this happen, btw? the policeman's hat looks quite unfamiliar to me

The Overfiend
08-09-2006, 08:53 PM
:lol:

Great stuff. What next, mixing's not allowed? You can only play music in public if you play it in full and credit the artist afterwards?

"This one's by Mara Branco, Julian Sandell & Henry Cullen; it's called 'hard' - thanks to the lovely people at 4x4 recordings for letting us share this one with you tonight."

...clank clank clank clank...

7 minutes later:

"...okay, hope you all enjoyed that! This next one's by 'Jah Scoop Meets Tiddles Uptown'..." etc etc

:doh:

That's the best

g
08-09-2006, 09:40 PM

Portland, OR.
time for Portland residents to demand their tax money back.

so the 'third record' concept created by DJs in the 80's was illegal eh.

module
09-09-2006, 01:45 AM
**** that.. if i pay for a Ben Simms track & cut off the intro.. is THAT illegal ???

f*kin f*cks..

Tyler Durden to Warner Music please.. Tyler Durden. plesae report to the basement of Warner with a truck load of home made explosives..

ive heard of 'techno terrorism' before.. but think someone actually needs to start blowing sh*t up.. this beyond stupid.

bassbin
09-09-2006, 03:11 AM
That's just f*cked up!

303anarchy
09-09-2006, 05:06 AM
so now playing anything off the schranz label is illegal?

oldbugger
09-09-2006, 10:04 AM
jesus christ.

insane :bash: only in america

SlavikSvensk
09-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Portland, OR.
time for Portland residents to demand their tax money back.

so the 'third record' concept created by DJs in the 80's was illegal eh.

i'm very surprised by that. portland is a quite liberal place.

tocsin
10-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Next they're gonna start arresting DJs for playing other peoples' recordings that have uncleared samples! ART POLICE! :)

tocsin
10-09-2006, 02:48 AM
BTW, any source for this aside from the guys page yet?

Little_Fella!
10-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Total horror bags that... :thumbsdown:

I wonder who it definitely was that grassed him - the ****ers...!

Glad to see that people are protesting n that. Bringing rush hour traffic to a stand still...etc :thumbsup:

Great stuff... :finger:

djfurness
10-09-2006, 12:57 PM
dont think Shitmat can play there anytime soon then :)

Jay Pace
10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Gotta say, having had a scope about the net - I think this might just be a fantastic publicity stunt.

davethedrummer
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
This is so dumb it`s obscene.
Just more attempts by the corporate music machine to extract money wherever they can.
and do the corporations never realise that it's things like this that give them the raw ideas for their pop / chart tracks in the first place??

davethedrummer
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
hmmm....after looking at his site i smell bullsh1t

but that could just be my pants

bassbin
10-09-2006, 06:17 PM
hmmm....after looking at his site i smell bullsh1t

but that could just be my pants

WTF! You let a bull shit in ur pants? :lol:

SlavikSvensk
10-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Gotta say, having had a scope about the net - I think this might just be a fantastic publicity stunt.

yeah i agree.

for one thing, i've never seen policemen wear hats with that red band around.

for another, the photo of "glitch lounge" entrance looks photoshopped. besides, where in the US is electrionic music popular enough to have a place that big dedicated only to one form of electronic music, and successful enough to have its name etched in stone? answer: nowhere. besides, the building looks more like a condominium development.

finally, this is nowhere in any news anywhere aside from this guy's site.

PROBABLE ANSWER: TOTAL CROCK.

TechMouse
11-09-2006, 01:15 PM
On reflection, yes, this does look like utter bollocks.

Espcially given that if you google "glitch lounge" the first hit is this guy's page, and no further results yield any info about any such club anywhere else in the world - let alone Portland.

So, shame on me for getting so easily lead by viral markting.

mikehumphries
12-09-2006, 02:30 PM
always nice to know you are breakin a few laws :toast:

conor256
12-09-2006, 03:53 PM
i think this bullshit story has been a right laugh!!!

crime
13-09-2006, 10:32 AM
only in america......

278d7e64a374de26f==