PDA

View Full Version : formatted HD vis firewire intel mac

rowland the bastard
11-09-2006, 12:50 AM
i have a macbook pro duo core (intel) i tried to instal a new copy of osx i had bought (dog ate copy that came with) it would work on my machine so i decided to start over so formatted my drive, but, i formatted it via a g4.

now when i start it all i get is a flashing file with a question mark on it, i tried to book form cd while pressing c but this does not work, all the things i have read points to use a start up cd, but i dont have one, im not sure what to do or where to go.

i tried took get my money back form pc world for the osx i bought becaues i mac does not reconised it, and pc world refused and said, i can get a refund if i bring my mac in and they cant instal it, but if they do i have to give them a further 70 quid.

can anyone help please???

Remade
25-09-2006, 12:03 PM
On the top of my head it might be the problem with the way you formatted your intel mac. I suppose you did it in Disk Utility. Did you choose intel mac partition scheme? If not here is how you do it.
http://www.themacobserver.com/tip/2006/08/16.1.shtml
so if you didn't do it like that, you should start over.

rhythmtech
25-09-2006, 12:16 PM
right i know nothing about macs but i "think" i remember reading that osx is only compatible with g5??? or is that "tiger"..

correct me if im wrong, just something that was in the back of my mind..

Remade
25-09-2006, 01:56 PM
nope, it is also compatible with panther. it is just that that tiger has G5 specific hm.. parts and therefore has to be freshly installed and not for example cloned. in any case he has an intel mac so everything has to be new. new os, new partition scheme....
also, it don't know whether this will work but have you tried connecting the macs with the firewire. Then booting the install dvd from the G4 and selecting the intel mac HD from the menu

278d7e64a374de26f==