PDA

View Full Version : incorporating hardware synthesizers

tekara
13-09-2006, 02:05 PM
i'll be brutally honest, and i know there are those that are going to stone me to death for this,

but i have an Access Virus KC, and a Nord Lead 2x which has literally (and i mean LITERALLY) been sitting there on my racks unused for the past 2 years.

I just cant find a fluid and easy way in incorporating it into my setup, as i use mostly software VST's.

Is anyone on the same level of playing field as me? Is it just me, that thinks its a bit of a hassle to connect midi cables to midi interface, 1/4 jacks into the audio interface, turning it on, setting up things in Cubase SX for it to respond, and then printing things down to audio?

massplanck
13-09-2006, 02:20 PM
HASSLE???? For THAT sound?

rhythmtech
13-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Is anyone on the same level of playing field as me? Is it just me, that thinks its a bit of a hassle to connect midi cables to midi interface, 1/4 jacks into the audio interface, turning it on, setting up things in Cubase SX for it to respond, and then printing things down to audio?

how is it hassle? once set-up once you wont need to do it again.. dont waste your lovely synths!!!!!

Electrictribe
13-09-2006, 03:54 PM
as rhythmtech said above what is the hassle? I run mainly outboard gear these days and it is a pain to set up i admit (especially as my set up is about 120-150 leads) but once done i love it. Just plug and go. If you are using cubase you can set up devices for your virus and nord and load the patches direct.

FILTERZ
15-09-2006, 02:58 PM
no hassle man

what a waste , you only have to plug em in once innit

lazy bastard , why dont you give them to me

FILTERZ
15-09-2006, 03:04 PM
why bounce it anyway leave it as midi until you mix the whole tune down

just use a small mixer innit or not ?

RDR
16-09-2006, 01:34 AM
hmmm

dont be a lazy twat.

get em connected and get the human knob twiddling factor rocking...

stjohn
16-09-2006, 02:59 AM
i think you need the help of Dr. Phil!!!

Kevin Gorman
16-09-2006, 03:54 AM
I have a hardware synth and i make use out of it for all my tracks that i write! I can't belease you got two kick ass synths in your rig and your not even using them!

Kevin

loopdon
16-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a hardware synth and i make use out of it for all my tracks that i write! I can't belease you got two kick ass synths in your rig and your not even using them!

Kevin

which synth is that?

Andy
19-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Ive got a virus B and use it at least once in every project, in fact im thinking about buying another hardware synth to complement it

Its dead easy to set them up and well worth it.. if your using Cubase SX3 you can even set up external instruments and processors to work as plugins!

Kevin Gorman
22-09-2006, 04:36 AM

Kevin

which synth is that?

Novation Nova

RDR
22-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I use only my roland sh32

i love that piece of kit.

Miromiric
22-09-2006, 10:25 AM
i'll be brutally honest, and i know there are those that are going to stone me to death for this,

but i have an Access Virus KC, and a Nord Lead 2x which has literally (and i mean LITERALLY) been sitting there on my racks unused for the past 2 years.

i am after that nordlead. sell it to me and i shall use it wisely.

judas_beast
22-09-2006, 02:21 PM

I just cant find a fluid and easy way in incorporating it into my setup, as i use mostly software VST's.

Is anyone on the same level of playing field as me? Is it just me, that thinks its a bit of a hassle to connect midi cables to midi interface, 1/4 jacks into the audio interface, turning it on, setting up things in Cubase SX for it to respond, and then printing things down to audio?Commence the stoning!! Oh and btw, once you've plugged it in, it kind of stays plugged in. So its pretty much a one of opperation! And trust me, ya Virus is going to sound sooooooooo much better than ANY s/s. If you're using s/s's, surely they have to be ''bounced'' down to audio, not quite sure what ya problem is really? Just plug the damn things in and get one with it! :P

thetonewrecka
23-09-2006, 12:44 AM
What I find to be more of a hassle is having to deal with plug ins, and maintaining any sort of "controller setup" where I don't have to use the mouse to manipulate the stuff. Your mindset and workflow about creating sounds and riffs is completely different when you are working all those buttons and knobs with both hands instead of clicking around bit by bit.
All my studio gear is what I drag out live to play with so I have to hook EVERYTHING up over and over after shows and it leads to new ideas about the actual layout of your studio when you have to rewire things. I've changed where things are located dozens of times and you start to get a better feel for an ergonomic placement of your gear and equipment around you which in the long run helps you write music more easily.

loopdon
23-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I use only my roland sh32

i love that piece of kit.

i am thinking of perhaps getting the roland sh-201:

http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/de/global/_0_SSYNTHDIGI_0_SYN0002669-000/0/0/0/detail/images/artikel/medium/syn/syn0002669-000.jpg

or a dave smith evolver or a mikrokorg or sth. nice n analog. or or or. tips appreciated..

RDR
23-09-2006, 03:48 PM
The evolver is supposed to be a wicked bit of kit... never had any experience with it so i can really comment on it.

I would view the sh201 as a live device primarily due to controls and keys.. (although i recognise that studio work would be just as good)

The microkorg i never liked due to its size, and im not a fan of korg VA stuff anyway. Korg excell (IMO) in mkaing those amazing digital mutli layer synths such as the X5DR or later incarantions utilising the multi's.. some fanatstic sounds on them and highly editable.

;)

278d7e64a374de26f==