PDA

View Full Version : serato or final scratch??

keylockd
25-09-2006, 01:07 AM
any ideas on which is better ....

cheers

g
25-09-2006, 08:42 AM
serato.

koma
25-09-2006, 10:02 AM
i was just talking about this with a friend yesterday.
he had stanton's about a year, now he switched on serato, saying its 10x better...

Jay Pace
25-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Final scratch 2

Just make sure you buy the full version of traktor 3 and don't settle for the cut down version.
4 decks, looping, FX, much better search and filing and a decent graphical layout with regular software updates.

Serato holds up better for turntablism and scratching, but the interface is nowhere near as nice as traktor 3.

Depends on your style though. They have different strengths. Depends on how you mix, and whats important to you.

massplanck
25-09-2006, 01:20 PM
FS2 is pretty damn good. I havent used serato.

g
25-09-2006, 07:42 PM
fs2 is certainly an improvement. but for system consistency and general bulletproofness, it's definitely serato.

Dirtyacid
25-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Neither Ableton live people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Patrick DSP
25-09-2006, 08:10 PM
any opinions on this?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Conectiv-main.html

i like the fact that it's under $300 and syncs perfectly with live and you can use your own VSTs and sample on the fly.
even use only one turntable/CD to dj with as well if you must.

here's a video of it in action...
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=3257
(choose the player that works best for you)
================================================
M-Audio and DJ’s are a New Thing and it looks like this particular pairing has resulted in one of the hottest items from this Summer NAMM. The new division is called Synchro Science with the first new hardware being Conectiv - a USB hardware audio interface that combines a pair of switch-able phono/line inputs and a pair of mic inputs aimed at the DJ setup.

But the real jewel in the crown is the Torq DJ software. From what we saw at the demo – check the video out it’s awesome – it’s a very well thought out piece of software – designed by the man who brought us the Trigger Finger. The Torq software integrates with timecode vinyl and CD sources for absolute or relative control of MP3s and or samples in a number of cunning ways. With beat matching and sample playback, effects and a a great deal more. We recommend that you check out the excellent demo from Torq’s creator Chad.

Prices, dates
Conectiv is expected to ship in August with an MSRP of $299.95 USD. Torq is included free with Conectiv and future SynchroScience products. Conectiv will also be sold as package including two control vinyl discs and two control CDs for an MSRP of $349.95 USD (Torq included).

Jay Pace
25-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I long for the day when you can just rewire one of these systems into ableton.

Patrick DSP
25-09-2006, 09:05 PM
the m-audio interface, you can.
go watch the video.

herman
25-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Now that looks interesting to say the least a lot of possibilities there.

any opinions on this?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Conectiv-main.html

i like the fact that it's under $300 and syncs perfectly with live and you can use your own VSTs and sample on the fly.
even use only one turntable/CD to dj with as well if you must.

here's a video of it in action...
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=3257
(choose the player that works best for you)
================================================
M-Audio and DJ’s are a New Thing and it looks like this particular pairing has resulted in one of the hottest items from this Summer NAMM. The new division is called Synchro Science with the first new hardware being Conectiv - a USB hardware audio interface that combines a pair of switch-able phono/line inputs and a pair of mic inputs aimed at the DJ setup.

But the real jewel in the crown is the Torq DJ software. From what we saw at the demo – check the video out it’s awesome – it’s a very well thought out piece of software – designed by the man who brought us the Trigger Finger. The Torq software integrates with timecode vinyl and CD sources for absolute or relative control of MP3s and or samples in a number of cunning ways. With beat matching and sample playback, effects and a a great deal more. We recommend that you check out the excellent demo from Torq’s creator Chad.

Prices, dates
Conectiv is expected to ship in August with an MSRP of $299.95 USD. Torq is included free with Conectiv and future SynchroScience products. Conectiv will also be sold as package including two control vinyl discs and two control CDs for an MSRP of $349.95 USD (Torq included).

stjohn
25-09-2006, 10:23 PM
the m-audio interface, you can.
go watch the video.

ill have a look at that, looks nice...

this one does too..

http://www.mspinky.com/

all u need is pluggo

stjohn
25-09-2006, 10:24 PM
http://www.mspinky.com/

Antinoise
26-09-2006, 02:34 AM
.....and syncs perfectly with live and you can use your own VSTs and sample on the fly.

When I first heard that it would sync to Live I almost shit my pants.. However, I have to say after a little thinking that I don't believe it will work well enough. How are you going to have it running a low ms latency required for a turntable and still rewire another program to it (running its own tracks and effects)? He only talks about it in the video.. but does not actually go on to show it.

If this does in fact work, this will be the second coming of Christ and I'm all in.. But I have to say, at this point I'm not a believer.

I do think the program looks promising regardless. The looping, efx and sampleing seem quite dj friendly.

sash
26-09-2006, 07:19 AM
i think the only one worth considering at the moment is serato. it's a proven product. Mix Master Mike abuses this product night in and night out. Ive read of too many problems with final scratch. Didn't Richie Hawtin once use it? The m-audio product looks great but i'd rather wait a year and hear what people think of the reliability of the product then. Same goes with ms pinky too.

sash
26-09-2006, 07:21 AM
When I first heard that it would sync to Live I almost shit my pants..

:lol:

bassbin
26-09-2006, 02:34 PM
I've tried FS2 & Serato , like one & fell in love with the other which I added to my xmas wishlist from Santa, Serato .

DJ Becka
26-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Hands down, I prefer Serato......

I tried FS and thought it was cool, but asked around and was told that Serato was much more stable. I went straight for Serato, and absolutely love it. My flatmate here also has FS2, and I let him install Serato on his machine to try it out, and he said he likes it much better than FS. Also, a lot of the djs that I've seen roll thru this city seem to prefer Serato to FS......so they must be on to something ;)

g
26-09-2006, 10:51 PM
.....and syncs perfectly with live and you can use your own VSTs and sample on the fly.

When I first heard that it would sync to Live I almost shit my pants.. However, I have to say after a little thinking that I don't believe it will work well enough. How are you going to have it running a low ms latency required for a turntable and still rewire another program to it (running its own tracks and effects)? He only talks about it in the video.. but does not actually go on to show it.

If this does in fact work, this will be the second coming of Christ and I'm all in.. But I have to say, at this point I'm not a believer.

I do think the program looks promising regardless. The looping, efx and sampleing seem quite dj friendly.

didn't pay attention to the torq thing when it was first announced so i'm glad this came along and i watched that video.

but still: why that over ableton? i still don't get products that are centered around 2 main sources.

as for the original question, still serato. =)

keylockd
28-09-2006, 11:24 AM
cheers lads serato it is....!

Buttman
02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Did I hear someone say that FS2 supports 4 turntables???

And here I am waiting to buy FS3 so I can play with 3 turntables!!!!!!!!

g
02-10-2006, 08:22 AM

no. maybe getting confused with the last traktor, which has, i think, 4 "decks".

Buttman
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Ohhh

And Serato? Do they have plans on supporting 3+ turntables?

2 turntables are for women.

Jay Pace
02-10-2006, 11:05 AM

FS2 supports 3 turntables.

You need to buy the latest version of Traktor, and route a deck out of through the headphone output of the FS2 unit into your mixer.

Et voila!

3 Decks. You can also switch between which of the virtual turntables you want to be controlled by the timecode. Technically you could do 3 deck mixing with just one physical turntable, and just switch between the virtual decks on traktor.

Traktor 3 supports 4 turntables but the FS2 unit doesn't have enough outputs.

3 decks should be plenty enought to keep you happy though.

Miromiric
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Ohhh

And Serato? Do they have plans on supporting 3+ turntables?

2 turntables are for women.

you will buy? would love to witness the energetic pumping techno 3 decks sets by grovskopa again.

sash
02-10-2006, 11:27 AM
with torq on the market now hopefully we see a price drop for serato soon..

Buttman
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
What is Torq?

And yes Miro, I am just waiting for FS or Serato or something else to be good enough for me to use it.

Then I will start DJing again.

I just do not see the point doing it with normal records anymore since I played the same 80 records for 4 years now lol

Buttman
02-10-2006, 01:28 PM
WTF!
What would it cost me all in all?
FS and latest Traktor that is.

FS2 supports 3 turntables.

You need to buy the latest version of Traktor, and route a deck out of through the headphone output of the FS2 unit into your mixer.

Et voila!

3 Decks. You can also switch between which of the virtual turntables you want to be controlled by the timecode. Technically you could do 3 deck mixing with just one physical turntable, and just switch between the virtual decks on traktor.

Traktor 3 supports 4 turntables but the FS2 unit doesn't have enough outputs.

3 decks should be plenty enought to keep you happy though.

Buttman
02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
And I even contacted FS asking when they will support 3 decks.. All they said was "we have no plans on doing that at the moment"

Jay Pace
02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
WTF!
What would it cost me all in all?
FS and latest Traktor that is.

I've done plenty of 3 deck mixes with final scratch. Its got a really decent loop function as well - so you could load up a loop onto the third deck and it will loop away. To make it even easier you can set the third deck as a slave to the first or second decks, and it will keep in time. Gives you more time to do more interesting things...

Have a look about on ebay - you could get the full version of Traktor 3 and FS2 for around £350 all in.

Jay Pace
02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Just to be really clear though - you can't run three physical turntables and run three vitual decks.

You can run 2 physical turntables, and they can control 3 virtual decks, or you can control any of the decks using a controller or the laptop. So the FS guys were kinda right, but stupid all the same, because with traktor 3 it can be done.

Because you get to set which physical turntable controls which virtual deck you can switch about really quickly and easily. Hence the ability to run three virtual decks with one physical deck if you wanted to.

Buttman
02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh =I

278d7e64a374de26f==