PDA

View Full Version : Sending stuff to labels / A&R etc - Help needed

Jay Pace
25-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi hi

Am considering sending stuff out to labels.

Problem being - where the hell to start? I'm not sure what labels to look at, never realyl bought into "labels" and so I'm not too up to speed on their sound. Record collection is a random assortment dating back 20 odd years....

Do you mass mail to everyone? Do you target the most likely with a nice letter? How many tracks do you put forward on a demo? Does anyone know a directory of techno labels?

This is the track I would like to try and put out:
www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/stanley.mp3

Kinda acidy, but kinda not. Not trying to make hard techno, more matthew dear style, but the only labels I can think of are ghostly and spectral sound, and this is probably too aggressive for them judging by what I've heard.

Blah. Been putting off sending demo's forever. Would really appreciate a steer...

eyeswithoutaface
25-09-2006, 02:44 PM
whatever u do, dont go cold calling! people REALLY dont appreciate a mass mail like said, there's nothing worse than someone u dont know just pushing their stuff at you. The best thing to do is to build up contacts and friends over time and gradually start playing your stuff to them. I mean people with labels obviously, there's a massive difference between just mailing all the labels u can think of, and getting in touch with the labels, offering your respect and ASKING them if they would be willing to check out your stuff. No one in this game likes being told what to do. I gaurentee you'l get more replies if you mail people you really respect asking them if they have time to check out your music and explaining how you appreciate how busy they are etc etc. Manners go along way in this game certainly.

i would say that track is definately too aggressive for the labels mentioned, they are alot more minimal than the track posted, which is more straight up acid techno. Doesnt sound too much matthew dear style to be honest comparing to the stufff of Matthews i have, but its a good solid track definately.

sending demo's is a strange one, the internet is great for getting in touch with labels, as it allows alot more of a direct contact approach as opposed to just sending out CD's in the post and hoping for the best. In all honesty ive sent off about 3 demo cd's in my time so far and i ended up getting one track of one of those signed, and that was after the label has actually asked me to send them the CD in the first place. It's tricky, on one hand no one wants to just get inundated with faceless cd's where the producer hasnt even bothered to introduce themselves beforehand, yet on the other hand some of those producers might have some of the best music heard in years. But the more you get into this game the more you realise the community aspect of things really, really matters.

Ive said it before everyone needs a helping hand of a mate at some point, absolutely everyone, it doesnt matter if your jeff mills or joe bloggs. So my advice overall is to form some real friendships with fellow producers/label owners and start from there

this is just my opinion of course, im sure others will disagree, but as an example, just because i release records, people send me demo cd's without even doing their research first, which if they did they'd realise i dont have a label!!! this is what annoys people, when people take things for granted.

hope that's some help

eyeswithoutaface
25-09-2006, 02:46 PM
also, these days, alot of labels would prefer if you approached them with 3 or 4 really solid, well done tracks instead of just 1. V/A releases are great for singular tracks but in less abrasive techno side of things, it all tends to veer towards full artist ep's and remix swaps etc. It's only really in the hard techno and schranz side of things where u get everyman and his dog on each release.

Jay Pace
25-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice mate.

By matthew dear I meant his Audion output - which is what I am trying to aim for but keep getting sidelined for one reason or another.
Here's another bleepy thing I would like to try and get out - much less acid techno but still not the audion sound I was aiming for: www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/dizzyspell.mp3

Didn't think mass mailouts were the way forward. But not entirely sure where to start with which labels to approach either.
Suppose this is pretty much what myspace was invented for...

Going to put my research hat on.

eyeswithoutaface
25-09-2006, 03:04 PM
yep definately, myspace is amazing for pr. Seriously is. Ive had some great opportunities come my way with myspace playing a good part in it. I know u didnt think mass mailouts where the way forward but i know alot of peeps do think that so was just explaining in a little more depth really.

label wise i would honestly just say try the guys u really respect and have admired, think of some labels you would really love to be a part of and aim at that, which is what ur doing i can tell, sometimes it just takes another label or 2 before the ones you really want to hit take notice.

Luck plays a massive part too in the whole thing, ive gotten on to labels ive been collecting for years and would never of thought id end up releasing on them, and ive just had the pleasure of having the first release on a new label by an artist i respect hugely and we became friends a few years back, mutual respect a plenty and it's produced a wonderful opportunity for me which in turn has thrown up other great opportunities and offers for me

you'l be reet once you get some more info

dont wish to sound condescending by the way, i just happen to know alot about this kind of thing after a relatively short time releasing so far

Jay Pace
25-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Much appreciated. Sound advice mate

TechMouse
25-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Jay:

One thing that a lot of label owners always seem to like is if you know a bit about what they do and you personalise anything you send.

e.g. send a covering letter explaining why you and your music fit in with their label.

It's just like going for a job... if you can show you know a bit about the company - i.e. done your homework - and put a good case forward why you'd be an asset, then it looks good.

stjohn
25-09-2006, 05:41 PM
good advice lads...ive been thinking about sending out some stuff of my own...

so how many tracks is a good numbeer?

TechMouse
25-09-2006, 05:53 PM
3, I reckon.

Maybe 4.

RDR
26-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Scott and Mark are bang on with what they say.

i'd like to add a bit.

Sending something with the record something MAD really helps, i've put in two rubber gloves and a small tube of lubricant before now - that got their attention good n proper.

Something rthat hasnt been mentioned is the distros. Look at the back of the records you would like to target and note the distro. Get in touch with the distro, i.e get to know someone personally and ask them who they think might be interested in your music. Like they said - 3 or 4 tracks make a better offering and mean you are not just someone who wrote ONE tune and is just chancing their arm, its better from a commercial perspective to hook up with an artist who is actually an artist rather than a flash in the pan, i.e someone they think they can work with.

Persistance is your watch-word, a smile upon your lips and polite firmness. Name dropping helps as well (daft i know, but it gives a frame of reference) Play it to someone on here who might be able to help, get them to give a recommend and take that forward "I played this to XXXXX and they liked it but said it wasnt what they were looking for right now and said you might be interested"

Jay Pace
26-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. This is all great advice.

rhythmtech
26-09-2006, 01:18 PM
i've generally got in touch with the labels owners first (as scott says) tell em a little about myself and what i do and ask if they'd like a link to some mp3s, while offering to send audio cds if they like what they hear. this has worked for me on a few occasions but sometimes you get ignored.

other than that i've gotten releases through knowing the label owners and having a good relationship with them (calver, fatcollective)

good luck whatever way you choose.

stjohn
26-09-2006, 05:30 PM
and may the force be with you all!

MorePunkThanFunk
26-09-2006, 09:40 PM
i would much rather be sent a cd, i ****ing hate emails with a shit load of links in them.

fair enough in some circumstances links are ok if you had a chat, built up a friendship etc

but my thoughts are if you can't be bothered to send me a nice little demo cd then i can't be bothered to consider it.

also i reckon 3-6 tracks is a nice round figure, maybe a few extra ones at the end of the cd that the label would not consider due to style but might enjoy listening to

danielmarshall
29-09-2006, 07:15 PM
What about mastering? Like most musicians I suppose I'm not aweful, but I'm not the best in this departement. I'd be more than willing to get stuff mastered professionally if the track is going to be released, but I'm not wasting tonnes of cash on a track that'll never see a turntable.

MorePunkThanFunk
29-09-2006, 08:50 PM
just do the best you can yourself. but keep a version with no 'home' mastering so that if you do get a release off a label it can be mastered properly when it goes to cut

danielmarshall
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM

278d7e64a374de26f==