PDA

View Full Version : techno arrangement help please

seanyboy
27-09-2006, 02:27 PM
been playin about with production for a few months now, really interested in makin techno, kanzyani stlye, as a begnner to this genre, is ther anybody who can give me a few tips on the basic arrangment of a techno loop, just to get me started, have read all the tips and that, they are all great but a bit to advanced for me, any help would be much appreciated, go easy on me

loopdon
27-09-2006, 09:43 PM
you are going for funky tech, techhouse, right?

i think you want to know general stuff about 1 or 2 bar loops, if i get ya...

i think esp. in the style you are reffering to:

- percussion loops from samplecds (or your own but samplecds are used for sure!!!)

- warm type of bassline with a funky pattern:

u could filter down funk loops with a lowpass filter and using the 'res' button to bring the bass out. or use a plugin (see my sticky thread) for some nice free ones..

try to find out basic stuff about keys and chords --> google it up.
melodic basspatterns rule in this genre. not the 'random' type if you get me.

- find kickdrums that fit the rest or start with sampled loops or cut kicks out of tracks you like with a wave editor or propellerheads recyle etc. anaylze and try to mimic qualities of loops (look athe way they are eqd to fit into mixes nicely) as you get better.

- filter down percloops with no kickdrums in them to leave only the bass (and possibly lower mids) with a lowpass filter set to perhaps 250 to 300 hz and again some 'res' to make groovy basslines.

sorry if this wasn't any help but i tried and would be willing to help you out with your further attempts. pm if you'd like :)

what are u using? fruity loops, reason, live or other?

seanyboy
27-09-2006, 10:10 PM
quality reply mate really helpful, im using live, was using it to mix cds it seemed natural to use it for production

RDR
28-09-2006, 09:42 AM
More tips.

Use compression to provide pumping volume FX.
Use a decent reverb to give you space in the mix
Chorusing and flanging applied mildly can give a static loop movement
Use the BEST quality sample CD you can find (Vengeance Club Sounds Vol1 would float your boat ireckon)

Get your ears listening for quality... dont accept something because it excites you, accept it because its of great quality. Dont drink while mixing down, dont smoke weed whilst creating.

seanyboy
28-09-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks pal, im listening to loops to look for clues to create my own, If i make a track I really wanna make it my own i think

loopdon
28-09-2006, 08:19 PM
loops you know will be on techno house loop essentials' (not sure about the name, there's several by ueberschall. or akai nockick vol 1 and two or 'voices of sfrica' --see umek's eps of the same name :)

278d7e64a374de26f==