PDA

View Full Version : How do you percieve the future of techno?

MARKEG
28-09-2006, 01:53 AM
I see it totally governed by the technology. I see the future of techno production as being those that understand every plugin, every piece of software. there was a time that analog outboard rocked but i now see it like if you don't know your shit on technology, you're not going to make good music.

techno IS technology now in my eyes. but hey, that's the way it was meant to be from the word go.... that's techno :)

Dustin Zahn
28-09-2006, 02:11 AM
the future of techno is more threads about the future of techno. :)

Adverse
28-09-2006, 02:15 AM
amen.

28-09-2006, 03:01 AM
Amen indeed! I want to see the great Jungle Tekno revival! I like how it might be going, I've heard a few breakbeat loops used in techno tracks recently. I hope it keeps going in that direction. I don't care if its happy or dark, the jungle tekno sound must return!!!!

The Overfiend
28-09-2006, 03:14 AM
The future of techno lies in the techno of the past.

Lag
28-09-2006, 03:15 AM
i see aliens coming to earth and saying "shit this jeff mills dude is weird"

Si the Sigh
28-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I see techno becoming sooooo minimal (sorry, mnml) that we will no longer be able to hear it.

sash
28-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I see techno becoming sooooo minimal (sorry, mnml) that we will no longer be able to hear it.

:lol:

i think techno in the future will continue to sound thinner and more transparent.... :(

holotropik
28-09-2006, 10:38 AM
The future of techno lies in the techno of the past.

Any moment in Techno, is always in the future?

I reckon...

Si the Sigh
28-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I think the harder stuff will make a comeback as soon as people get bored of stroking themselves to the minimal sounds.

I do kind of think it might go back to its roots. Looking to its past as SOS says.

judas_beast
28-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Kick drums, lots of them. Mark: I agree in away, but I think there will a lapse, or back lash if you like, in the use an popularity of softsynths/vst's/etc as people come to there sense's and realise hardware rocks it so much more! But seriously, I think the 'old' methods - drum machine, synth, sampler - we regain dominance, perhaps a synergy of soft and hard. No softsynth ever will sound like a machindrum!

TechMouse
28-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Software will get more mental, and experimental.

Your only limit is your imagination with stuff like Reaktor, Max/MSP and PureData.

The best ideas realised in software will find their way into dedicated boxes with realtime control.

massplanck
28-09-2006, 01:11 PM
i nearly topped myself when i saw this thread.

MARKEG
28-09-2006, 01:42 PM
i nearly topped myself when i saw this thread.

i do tend to post alot of these don't i?!! lol

i blame the drink :oops:

MorePunkThanFunk
28-09-2006, 02:23 PM
i think there needs to be some radical new method of making music that can create a totally fresh sound

eyeswithoutaface
28-09-2006, 08:44 PM
it's not the method of making music that brings freshness, its those that see beyond the same old same old. Technology has allowed more expression for years now, that's not an issue. Thinking about what is the future of techno will ultimately have a more negative effect than a positive, no one can predict these things, for all we know there maybe a little kid in russia with one drum machine and a basic synth ready to unleash some incredible new, fresh stuff. No one knows. Speculation in a scene is a horrible, horrible thing, let nature take its course. Nothing will make a comeback because nothing has gone away, hard stuff is just as popular as minimal in certain places, and vice versa. Techno doesnt begin and end with one's own personal experience.

Stop thinking and start doing

dirty_bass
29-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Hopefully the new producers coming along will throw away the rules based on a 20 year old model of boom-tish, and set a precedent for truly open mided technologically based dance music with attitude.

It was also be great for the decrease in sales to give people the courage to stop trying to sound like their heroes.

I think the future of techno is for people to become more isolated, information wise. The internet has sparked too much copycatting as the latest hot release gets mimicked almost straight away, and people follow opinion of places such as this too closely.
The whole schranze trend, the minimal trend etc, would be better if people heard of the new ideas, but not necessarily had immediate and easy access to the sounds, forcing them to interpret the new idea they have heard about, without too much exposure, and thus making their own sounds based on this.

Pie in the sky ideas though I feel.

People will go on copying and following till techno becomes a hermaphrodite clone, constant copulating with itself.

Cheerful huh?

Komplex
29-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I think techno will go right back to raw, slammin 909 action underneath every plugin known to man. the proper techno sound blended with cool new textures. anything else just won't be "techno" anymore if u know what I mean...

danielmarshall
29-09-2006, 05:47 PM
The only reason why people copy other musicians is because they want to be associated with that particular person, and so steal some of their thunder. It boils down to ego. Well some do it for the money I suppose, but that's a small figure in techno land. If people were more down to earth they'd start writing better music - simple as that.

As for the actual sound of techno? I think we're going to see allot more crossover with IDM like what has been happening in the progressive scene of late, and hopefully a little more of that human touch that artists such as Technasia seem to conjure. It'd be good if artists start writing more music for listening and not just clubby stuff as well.

RDR
29-09-2006, 07:29 PM
The only reason why people copy other musicians is because they want to be associated with that particular person

not me chief... i just wanna replicate a sound sometimes because its good production or its funky, then i put my own twist on it...

RDR
29-09-2006, 07:34 PM
its funny that people talk about the future of techno...

Mostly people spoke about it actually being the future....

:lol:

The times they WILL be a-changing.

MorePunkThanFunk
29-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I think techno will go right back to raw, slammin 909 action underneath every plugin known to man. the proper techno sound blended with cool new textures. anything else just won't be "techno" anymore if u know what I mean...

i hope not as much as i love the 909/808 etc i'm sick to death of those sounds, can't people buy some new drum machines once every 10 years?????

method of creating music does bring freshness. the 303 brought around whole new genre's, as did the invention of the synth, as did electric guitars.

i agree creativity is also a major factor but whenever some radical new method of making music comes around, new genre's appear to embrace the new methods.

machina
30-09-2006, 05:46 AM
i disagree completely - at least, i hope that you're wrong. The emphasis on technology and engineering in techno will just contribute further to the stagnant scene. Music is about feeling, not about how to route plugin A to bus C being modulated by oscillator 2... write stuff with genuine substance to it and the rest will come with it... concentrating on the technology is a backwards way of thinking - the technology should just be a tool you use, it should never drive or be the emphasis or you'll end up with clinical, emotionless shit that means nothing to anybody....

machina

judas_beast
30-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Flutes. Lots of flutes.

MorePunkThanFunk
30-09-2006, 07:28 PM
its all about the pan pipes

massplanck
02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
i disagree completely - at least, i hope that you're wrong. The emphasis on technology and engineering in techno will just contribute further to the stagnant scene. Music is about feeling, not about how to route plugin A to bus C being modulated by oscillator 2... write stuff with genuine substance to it and the rest will come with it... concentrating on the technology is a backwards way of thinking - the technology should just be a tool you use, it should never drive or be the emphasis or you'll end up with clinical, emotionless shit that means nothing to anybody....

machina

great post.

ps @mark ;)

RDR
02-10-2006, 01:37 AM

machina

great post.

ps @mark ;)

Isnt it funny that people who know how to use the technology say it isnt the technology that is a major part of the sound. playing it down.

its not a dig at you machina as its clear that although you only give a brief nod towards the force of technology in that post, you also recognise that 'it is what it is' i.e. a tool.

I like what soctt said, the fresh is only from the freshest of sources.

The future of techno isny within techno itself, only in the sounds/influence techno didnt find yet. And the REAL future lives within changes techno does for itself. The originality that menas whatever it spawns it wont have the name 'techno' as that genre is already taken. And most music journos dont have either the balls or the knowldge to call a spade a spade, not a digging tool. Calling something techno seems to have regained some 'copy gold' in some lame music publications in the last year, but it shows the 'blank minds' of these publishers/broadcasters that they call it techno without knowing what they mean, although they seem happy enough to regurgitate the same old tired cliches.

Such change in music requires in the minds of people (not necessarily those who like techno) a different frame of mind. Think about the definition of 'trance' or the tune 'mydefinition of house'

music is subjective and techno keeps on coming as much as people dont want it to. because technology is the life the soul and the engine of the dance music party.. add good musicians to hold the torch and forward we GO!

thank F for the word FUNK. Cheers jimmy brown. ;)

Just IMO .. NOT a dig at anyone.

/rant

machina
02-10-2006, 12:22 PM

machina

great post.

ps @mark ;)

Isnt it funny that people who know how to use the technology say it isnt the technology that is a major part of the sound. playing it down.

its not a dig at you machina as its clear that although you only give a brief nod towards the force of technology in that post, you also recognise that 'it is what it is' i.e. a tool.

/rant

I agree to some extent - but what is 'fresh'. I agree that 'fresh' sounds can be created by new or different technology (shit sounds can be created this way too ;) ). But 'fresh' music is so much more than that - it is the some of the parts, the arrangement, the production, everything... there are plenty of bands that have made fresh and brilliant music using 'traditional' instruments (well, maybe not plenty, but certainly some.) so i would re-interpret the quote "the fresh is only from the freshest of sources" as "the fresh is only from the freshest of minds/ideas/musicians heads" - that is the true source ;)

machina

danielmarshall
02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
The only reason why people copy other musicians is because they want to be associated with that particular person

not me chief... i just wanna replicate a sound sometimes because its good production or its funky, then i put my own twist on it...

Yeah I'm in that camp too. :)

What I meant was the act of replicating almost verbatim what somebody else has accoumplished. Hard trance unfortunately went down that route a while back which is why most of it's so boring IMO. I know it's not always the case, but many times (in my experience anyway) the biggest egotists have been DJs and producers from this domain or there abouts. Maybe it's just me. I hope so.

I guess there are occations when you'd want to create a very similar sound for remixes or something, but you'd hopefully still leave your own mark on the thing otherwise it's a somewhat pointless excercise.

judas_beast
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
FLUTES!

danielmarshall
02-10-2006, 04:33 PM

machina

great post.

ps @mark ;)

/rant

I agree to some extent - but what is 'fresh'. I agree that 'fresh' sounds can be created by new or different technology (shit sounds can be created this way too ;) ). But 'fresh' music is so much more than that - it is the some of the parts, the arrangement, the production, everything... there are plenty of bands that have made fresh and brilliant music using 'traditional' instruments (well, maybe not plenty, but certainly some.) so i would re-interpret the quote "the fresh is only from the freshest of sources" as "the fresh is only from the freshest of minds/ideas/musicians heads" - that is the true source ;)

machina

Yeah, this is very true.

Just listening to a track off Cocoon - Compilation F now hearing all these wierd IDM like edits, spectral delays and bizaar comb filter sweeps, and it occured to me that there'd be no way you'd hear anything like this 10 years ago simply because there was no hardware or software that you could pull it off with no matter how talented you were. Sure there was the kick, hat and clap we've been accustomed to over the last 20 or so years, but essentially the technology confined the music to a far smaller subspace of possible sounds then.

Technology has and will always keep music in flux and this is a good thing. If we become reluctant to move forward and try new tools we'll find ourselves in a rut eventually because we can't find meaningful ways of doing something new with what we have to use. That's not to say that everything that can be done on vintage gear has been done, just that it becomes harder and harder to break new ground which is half the thrill of writing music to me.

I love this quote:

"The universe if full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts

Delinquent Dialect
08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I see it totally governed by the technology. I see the future of techno production as being those that understand every plugin, every piece of software. there was a time that analog outboard rocked but i now see it like if you don't know your shit on technology, you're not going to make good music.

techno IS technology now in my eyes. but hey, that's the way it was meant to be from the word go.... that's techno :)

you are wrong wrong wrong.

techno was called techno because it 'sounded tech'...not because it was tech....

analogue synths, drum machiens etc...were already outdated when they were utilized to make techno. the point of early techno was to 'sound' like a machine, it didnt matter how you did it

techno wizardry is not the holy grial...machine soul.

such as electro is ment to be futuristc, now it sounds like cartoon music...to be trully electro, you need to be making music that techno wants to be, ie techno came from electro, cos the future was technolgy, machines!... but now we've been there done that, it is now history..so to be futurisic you need to see a new horizon.

278d7e64a374de26f==