PDA

View Full Version : Postmodernism and techno

electoad
04-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Has techno finished being totally new? And if so – is it a case now of using what has been created in the past to create variations OR is it possible to add something totally new to it???
Any opinions or ideas?

rhythmtech
04-10-2006, 02:16 AM
some say its past it.. others still get excited by it..

i think its what you make it in your own head.

massplanck
04-10-2006, 03:02 AM
some say its past it.. others still get excited by it..

i think its what you make it in your own head.

take a good look at crowd/gig attendences and youll get your answer.

Techno attendence is shit due to the music being shit and boring (Most of it). people who say '**** you' for dissing what i play should take a good long hard look at themselves if they are playing to small empty venues. There was a time when any sort of techno night pulled a decent crowd from a broad spectrum of people (not just techno nerds). Thats because the er 'scene' was alot less pidgeon-holed than it is today.. and that nobodies fault except the people who put on gigs. People WILL come if the music is TIMELESS. Not GENERIC.

RANT OVER. :)

rhythmtech
04-10-2006, 03:33 AM
well over the past 2 months i've played 4 packed gigs and one quiet one.. thats not a bad ratio for music thats dying... but i do agree, theres too many boring generic gigs on...

although hardfloor in tbmc 15th december... ROLL ON :)

massplanck
04-10-2006, 03:35 AM
although hardfloor in tbmc 15th december... ROLL ON :)

:shock: You seriuos? only one half of hardfloor though. :eh:

rhythmtech
04-10-2006, 03:38 AM
ELEC CITY ARE PUTTIN IT ON.. HARDFLOOR ARE ADVERTISING IT ALREADY ON THEIR SITE.

massplanck
04-10-2006, 03:41 AM
woohoo. **** postmodernism so!

fac
04-10-2006, 05:37 AM
hardfloor is gaytrance

dubs
05-10-2006, 12:41 PM
techno is as post-modern as it comes. It exemplfies a reaction to modern music and utilises elements from a broad range of genres.

eyeswithoutaface
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
well one mans packed is another mans empty. Just depends where you are in the scene. If its a 100 capacity club and theres 90 people there, great, nice little rave going on. If its a 1000 capacity club, and there are 90 people there, disasterous. And believe me, over here, and the gigs in europe ive been too, ive seen it happen to even the biggest of names in techno

techno as a whole definately isnt as popular as it was 8, 9, 10 years ago, there's no denying that. But that's where the need to evolve and change comes into play

massplanck
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
well one mans packed is another mans empty. Just depends where you are in the scene. If its a 100 capacity club and theres 90 people there, great, nice little rave going on. If its a 1000 capacity club, and there are 90 people there, disasterous.

you have learnt this from years and years of being around the techno scene right? ;)

eyeswithoutaface
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
it's learnt from about 8 years of playing and being in techno clubs, from the emptiest little dives, sea forts (i kid you not) to the fullest 1000 capacity venues my friend :)

massplanck
06-10-2006, 12:37 AM
i was being sarcastic :) we all know that.

massplanck
06-10-2006, 12:38 AM
happy sarcastic. :)

eyeswithoutaface
06-10-2006, 12:39 AM
to my embarrasment i only realised when i read it back, its been a looooooooooonnnnngggggggg day mate

eyeswithoutaface
06-10-2006, 12:40 AM
EDIT BUTTON EDIT BUTTON WE WANT AN EDIT BUTTON

The Overfiend
06-10-2006, 04:22 AM
No edit button for you! ;)

rotten
29-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Has techno finished being totally new? And if so – is it a case now of using what has been created in the past to create variations OR is it possible to add something totally new to it???
Any opinions or ideas?

think so yea, if you have geniuses like maybe surgeon kennedy or vogel once again. the chance for that is quite high as you have shitloads of technical and software solutions out there. i'm thinking positive.

dirty_bass
30-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I think techno has moved on and changed, only a lot of people haven`t moved with it. So some people are still clinging on to the sound of 2000 and wondering why that punter is turning away from it, or that the club attendance is down.
Problem is that techno has always been fluid, and moved on, and we are now at the stage of 5th generation producers now.
Mostly fan boys, who have spent years emulating the sounds of their fave producers, who have themselves moved on.
There`s a huge spread of styles from the legacy of techno and people seem to be closing off their blinkers to diversity, so some nights tend sound the same all night, and some records sound the same release to release etc.

I think there`s plenty of life left in techno, but not much life left in the old model still clinging on from 99-2000

SlavikSvensk
31-10-2006, 01:33 AM
what does this have to do with postmodernism again?

now poststructural techno...that would be something ;)

tonyc2002
31-10-2006, 02:08 AM
i think to most "normal" people techno is still a dirty word, it represents the most monotonous music imaginable and drives many clubbers and ravers away simply because of the stigma attached to the name.

its music made with machines isnt it? the whole point of genre's is to make music easier to market... i.e trance, house, r'n'b or whatever....but techno's different because without even trying it forms the "basis" of these other styles.....take a hard trance track for example and strip away the melody, add a few twists and what are u left with? is that techno or is it just unfinished trance ?

am i talking shite? :-) :laughing: wheres me pint> **** me its 2am

prozac
31-10-2006, 10:25 PM
i agree...its a while since ve been excited by a techno gig
most djs seem to be just playing it safe, being technically sound etc.
djs just need to let loose and play records they like, whatever genre it is, instead of confining themselves to a pigeon hole

Little_Fella!
01-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Very interesting this...

I went up north to visit the folks just recently, n went with some of mi old rave mates to a House night called Dusted, which a semi-friend of mine Carl n crew run and play at as residents in Middlesborough.... Sound event was had...

Place was packed... They are doin very well for themselves n good on 'em...!

We all piled back to mi mates flat for the afterparty bit n Carl n that joined us later... (the point is coming honest!)

Little_Fella!
01-11-2006, 03:11 AM
I had been asked to take some sounds up with me, so I took up a couple of 'Live' sets from the L.T.C. plus some extra tunes in there n also edited down one of the BOA radio shows on to 2 CD's to give a cross section of the techno I like that is around just lately...

Mi mate asked me to put the CD's on n without any intention, cause I like Carl, I seemed,(well, not me, the music), to steal all of the limelight from him which aint my style...

The reaction of a room full of people spoke for itself...

So why is it that techno is shunned n yet expose people to it at the 'right' time and it becomes the tops....

I am, at this moment in time, confused...

Clit Commander
01-11-2006, 05:41 AM
BORING.

P.S. Having to activate the quick reply is stupid.

tonyc2002
01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I had been asked to take some sounds up with me, so I took up a couple of 'Live' sets from the L.T.C. plus some extra tunes in there n also edited down one of the BOA radio shows on to 2 CD's to give a cross section of the techno I like that is around just lately...

Mi mate asked me to put the CD's on n without any intention, cause I like Carl, I seemed,(well, not me, the music), to steal all of the limelight from him which aint my style...

So why is it that techno is shunned n yet expose people to it at the 'right' time and it becomes the tops....

guess techno is a very broard term :whoops: lots of different styles of one genre but all under the same banner....

i mean i listened to the boa radio show and some of the stuff played on there made me think "no way would that get people moving" but then i thought maybe its not meant to>>? other times some of the stuff played on there made me think "that would blow the roof off"

suppose its just finding the right music for the right situation..

kai
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Think thats down to techno being an acquired taste that people come too as they grow bored with the genres that broke them into dance music and are more accessible such as hardcore (in all its forms) or house and trance. As people grow older and listen to more music it seems to me that they often develop an interest in techno quite late on in that process, but until they do they see it, for one reason or another depending which scene they are from, as not being what their into.

The problem for techno as a scene within that is that dance music in general is becoming less and less popular with the next generations coming through as rock and rnb/speed garage are the current dominating forces, unlike when I was young when we all wanted to go to a rave and listen to rave music, having seen them on the news and attacked in the tabloids.

Therefore less and less people are going through the process of developing an interest in dance music that eventually leads them into discovering techno - and those that do hang in the scene long enough these days seem to plump for electro and dirty house rather than techno as they grow older (or breaks - but we'll leave that alone as its good shit ;) ). This is compounded by the crowd their is already listening to techno is getting older all the time and life has a way of catching up and making us all stop going out to quite so many parties.

The solution to this is more problematic, as by its nature techno isn't lyrically based and for it to get a foothold on the young market that the likes of house, trance and hardcore have it would need to be as the cheese element within these genres attracts the young girls, and thus the young boys.

End of the day though do we treally want a big techno scene full of clueless idiots, or would we rather have it as now where at least when we do go to a techno night its the right kind of people there and not just the lowest common denominator!

ERROR404
09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
some young victims however musically inept would be a nice addition though :)

The Overfiend
10-11-2006, 12:28 AM
What happened to dance music is that Eminem came along and said its over nobody listens to techno.
The drones aka America's youth, not wanting to be uncool said yeah Eminem, he is on to something here.
So they all went off dyed their hair blonde and started listening to really dry overproduced "rap" music, that not only shuns it's predecessors i.e nelly vs krs-one. but also made it ok for a young white teen to drive by me in traffic mouthing the words of the latest 50 cent album, including the n words.
Now don't get me wrong hip hop is a universal language in fact.
But I am almost positive if 50 cent said
" I ain't a hater I'm the ill rhyme sayer I wax tracks better than the tones of Adam Beyer "
There would be some Drumcode represses in demand.

BRADLEE
10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
What happened to dance music is that Eminem came along and said its over nobody listens to techno.
The drones aka America's youth, not wanting to be uncool said yeah Eminem, he is on to something here.
So they all went off dyed their hair blonde and started listening to really dry overproduced "rap" music, that not only shuns it's predecessors i.e nelly vs krs-one. but also made it ok for a young white teen to drive by me in traffic mouthing the words of the latest 50 cent album, including the n words.
Now don't get me wrong hip hop is a universal language in fact.
But I am almost positive if 50 cent said
" I ain't a hater I'm the ill rhyme sayer I wax tracks better than the tones of Adam Beyer "
There would be some Drumcode represses in demand.

Couldn't have said it better than myself my brother. It's all about Pop Culture in the States. If the shit isn't on MTV or the new hot trend...people don't give a shit.

Jak
10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I have to believe that these things move in cycles. Two years ago the number of events going off in my area was pretty limited. This past summer however we’ve seen a major resurgence in the electronic scene. and with this all forms of music have seen increased interest, including techno.

It is nice that we’ve got to the point where the word “rave” isn’t smeared all over the news all the time. Less negative media attention may actually allow people here in the states at least to successfully start throwing warehouse parties without attracting unwanted attention from authorities and media. I’m playing a warehouse party tonight so we’ll see how my theory plays out……

BRADLEE
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I have to believe that these things move in cycles. Two years ago the number of events going off in my area was pretty limited. This past summer however we’ve seen a major resurgence in the electronic scene. and with this all forms of music have seen increased interest, including techno.

It is nice that we’ve got to the point where the word “rave” isn’t smeared all over the news all the time. Less negative media attention may actually allow people here in the states at least to successfully start throwing warehouse parties without attracting unwanted attention from authorities and media. I’m playing a warehouse party tonight so we’ll see how my theory plays out……

I agree that things are starting to become back on the uphill. I live in Arizona but I play atleast 1-4 warehouse parties a month. However we still have issues with the police all of the time.

You roll the dice everytime....let's just hope we don't get snake eyes right?

278d7e64a374de26f==