PDA

View Full Version : Changing Mixers?

Debroglie
04-10-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm stummed guys...

Here's the situation, I use a Mackie 24/8 Buss and I really love all the inputs, inserts, busses and numerous AUX sends and returns and all the other bells and whistles but to be honest , I'm sick of the Mackie Sound and I really want to start using something smaller in size with at least 16 Channels, busses with inserts and a WARM EQ. I've looked at many mixers which I'm all interested in, but would like to know if any one here is using them and what your opinions are or if you have any other recommendations.

Allen & Heath GL2400-416
Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 14:4:2
Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 16:2
Yamaha O1V 96 Ver.2 (Digital I know)
Toft ATB 16 (haven't tried it but looks nice)

Also I'm having wet dreams of the TL Audio VTC and M4 but they end with my wife castrating me :(

P.S. Do you think a mixer is really necessary anymore with things like the SSL Duende ?

machina
04-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I've got a g2400-32... love it. sounds good, built well, doesn't sound like a mackie etc. if you only want the 16 channels, the mixwizards are probably better value for money, if you don' t need the 4 busses. Yamaha 01V's are dumb - don't go near them, they sound like shit. The Tofts are very nice, but i believe they are quite a bit more expensive than a+h's.

I reckon the TL Audios are stupid too - valves in mixers is a big no imo. Mixers are supposed to be consistent - valves are not and therefore belong in outboard gear, not in the desk.

machina

Debroglie
04-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your reply . I hear you about the TL Audio mixers, but they sound great despite the fact that they may have inconsistencies .

As for the 01V, I think they are great connectivity wise for my DAW and its the only real reason it's on my list, I would never use one for it's (lack of) warmth nor EQ.The The hard thing for me is , is that I live in Tokyo and prices are mad for A&H Mixers and anything from the UK and Europe.

Also do you use your G2400 for Studio recording or Live mixing ?

machina
05-10-2006, 05:27 AM
I use the 2400 for both studio and live - haven't been out live in a while though so mostly studio work..

machina

Komplex
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I got the mixwizard 16:2 and absolutely love it! but I want more busses.

Hey Jo, does your A&H have inserts on the busses?

Debroglie
05-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Ya that's the only thing holding me back from getting the 16:2, I guess you could use the master L&R cause they have inserts on them , then say bounce your loops but that's kind of tedious .

machina
05-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I got the mixwizard 16:2 and absolutely love it! but I want more busses.

Hey Jo, does your A&H have inserts on the busses?

yeah - that's is the main difference - and it's a pretty ****ing big one really... depends if you reckon it's worth the extra coupla thousand clams

machina

Debroglie
05-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm with you on this Machina, Busses are pretty important and are worth the extra coin if you ask me. Also There seems to be a real lack of QUALITY Sixteen Channel mixers with busses around ..

278d7e64a374de26f==