PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Crashes

messyfuture
09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Why does this keep happening to me

its the second time in two months this has happened

my external hard drive which is a seagate 80gig firewire gives me the error message 'g drive is unreadable and corrupted'

i have no idea why this is happening, i'm running chkdsk now on my c drive and the g,

my music pc is not connected to the internet so i dont think it could be a virus unless something got copied over when i was transfaring data or samples between the two

lucky i can get the data back using a recovery programe but its a pain in the ass cause the files come back in a random order and sorting them takes ages

I want to know whats causing this cause i'm rightly pissed

dan the acid man
09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
not sure, don't really know much about firewire, do you have to stop the device before you unplug it ?

also, do you treat the drive carefully ? i.e not banging it around too much etc.

messyfuture
10-11-2006, 07:45 AM
dan, it has been sitting on my desk for months now and not been moved or unpluged at all in that time and when i do take it out it goes in a little padded box

Barely Human
11-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a driver issue. Do you have all the latest drivers for your hardware?? Its very rare that a hardrive will currupt itself unless the drive is on its way out, and then it usually starts getting read errors first. Id say its deffinately a software issue.

snooch
05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
I agree. That happened to me. I went to the manufacturers website and checked for driver updates and lo and behold there one was. I would download and re-install anyways.

278d7e64a374de26f==