PDA

View Full Version : Getting nerdy about kickdrums..house kicks etc.

loopdon
12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=443140&cache=152

food for thought, imo

dan the acid man
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah, i enjoyed reading through that

Primary Beat
19-11-2006, 09:24 PM
good thread, but just get a fat kick to start off with.

loopdon
19-11-2006, 11:08 PM
not necessarily

judas_beast
21-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Seems overly nerdy to me.

danielmarshall
27-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Nerdy? Uh, I'd assume just about everybody on this forum is nerdy. Not really too impressed with the thread really. You could achieve an identical effect with just about any FM synth (and be able to edit the parameters afterwards too).

I've been working on some of my own samples lately too, but the most effective way I've found to do it is to layer a few tuned accoustic bass drums in Kontakt, filter them into distinct frequency domains, then add group effects (usually distortion or chorus) to each band. Next I drop a 909 kick on top, LP filter out the high end, and use an evelope to kill the initial part so I only have the sub at the end. I often add just a touch of reverb to some of the samples sitting in the mid range to give it a little "air", but put a delay (not the effect) on the reverb to keep the mud out of the initial crack in the kick. Finally I compress the crap out of the motherfukka and bounce down to .WAV

Something that I do allot of as well is to make up a kick in Kontakt, but on some of samples that I've isolated in the higher frequencies I add a pan LFO set to random with retrigger and a LONG period. This adds a bit of feeling into the core sound in the mix, which typically sounds pretty flat.

MARK ANXIOUS
03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
loved that read! thanks mate! :ruevil:

278d7e64a374de26f==