PDA

View Full Version : Intergrating hardware into predominantly soft setup

tonyc2002
14-11-2006, 10:58 PM
hello guys, I was wandering if any of you can give me examples of how to intergrate outboard/ a mixer/and hardware synths into a PC based setup. Ime starting to get a lot more serious about producing and have learnt alot over the last year or so and think ime ready to expand, but ime not really sure how to go about it.

tekara
15-11-2006, 04:41 AM
can you elaborate as to what it is exactly that you want to achieve?
Do you already have an audio interface with 8 in 8 outs?

If you do, then you can pretty much scrap the idea of the mixer and plug the hardware synths directly into the interface. That is what im doing at least......

FIK
15-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Indeed, all you need to do is route the outputs of your soundcard to the mixers input together with the outputs of your hardware and dj-setup. For recording into the computer simply use the master output or busses and route those back into the inputs of your soundcard.
It's also handy to use the controlroom output for your monitors, in this way you can control their volume without affecting any other signals when recording.
Your outboard gear can be used via inserts or aux.

stjohn
15-11-2006, 11:20 AM
can you elaborate as to what it is exactly that you want to achieve?
Do you already have an audio interface with 8 in 8 outs?

If you do, then you can pretty much scrap the idea of the mixer and plug the hardware synths directly into the interface. That is what im doing at least......

how do you sync them, or latency compensate??
i got my self a little effects rack too and its a bit mad trying to get the balance between the latency on my soundcard, the delay compensation and the return on the effects...

leads me to beleive that id like a mixer with aux sends, and a midi hub to keep all hardware synced...

any tips for a 1 h/w drummachine, 1 synth, 1 fx rack, 10-10 soundcard + Live 6 setup??:ohdear:

massplanck
15-11-2006, 03:15 PM
how do you sync them, or latency compensate??
i got my self a little effects rack too and its a bit mad trying to get the balance between the latency on my soundcard, the delay compensation and the return on the effects...

leads me to beleive that id like a mixer with aux sends, and a midi hub to keep all hardware synced...

any tips for a 1 h/w drummachine, 1 synth, 1 fx rack, 10-10 soundcard + Live 6 setup??:ohdear:

rory. whe midi on the esi10/10 is ROCK solid. latency doesnt even come into it. why the need for a midi hub?

stjohn
15-11-2006, 04:55 PM
sometimes when ive loads of tracks on the go i put the buffer settings to 1024.... :psy: ... then you can notice the difference between audio and midi...

but yea your right i dont need a hub... i just need a the right system for everything

judas_beast
15-11-2006, 08:43 PM
You plug a midi lead into ya synth, and an audio lead from ya synth into ya PC. Like falling of a log but more musical.

tonyc2002
16-11-2006, 11:57 AM
nice one guys, i have a emu 1820 at the moment which gives me 3 stereo inputs. basically ime a little lost when it comes to all the options avaiable, ideally i would want to have each track in live going to its own channel on the desk whereby i could then process and then route back into live...however i suspect ime living in lala land or atleast very expensive land lol

Miromiric
16-11-2006, 12:28 PM
try getting those new RME cards, they are expensive, but amazing when it comes to latency+all those inputs/outputs for your mixer/external gear, all quality built.

judas_beast
17-11-2006, 10:07 AM
try getting those new RME cards, they are expensive, but amazing when it comes to latency+all those inputs/outputs for your mixer/external gear, all quality built.
Are you on about the Hammerfall ones? Ive there pretty top notch, but like you say pricey.

278d7e64a374de26f==