PDA

View Full Version : do you clip?

BranLanen
15-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I often listen to many tracks that maybe go over the 0dB line. I never reach the 0dB limit, i'm afraid when the red light appears...
Who are making tracks that are in a 2-3dB level or more?
Where is the point you consider your limit?

eyeswithoutaface
15-11-2006, 09:52 PM
keep it out the red, leave as much headroom as you can. Trouble is, when producing at home, its great fun sometimes to run everything a little bit hot as it were and have it all pumping, but its not so great when you get masters back asking you to redo them because everythings been maximised and the engineer cant do anything with your blocks of audio. It's something that is learnt over time i think, well without being too obvious, and something that common sense plays a big part in.

BranLanen
15-11-2006, 10:54 PM
keep it out the red, leave as much headroom as you can. Trouble is, when producing at home, its great fun sometimes to run everything a little bit hot as it were and have it all pumping, but its not so great when you get masters back asking you to redo them because everythings been maximised and the engineer cant do anything with your blocks of audio. It's something that is learnt over time i think, well without being too obvious, and something that common sense plays a big part in.
ok i understand that reasons, but think it if you are the only engineer...consider your final mix, the real final mix...

eyeswithoutaface
16-11-2006, 12:18 AM
well depends what you want in that case, i personally keep my final mix out of the red for obvious reasons, but if i were doing schranz or death core i'd probably be pushing the reds on final mix down. Obviously whoever's cutting the record might have something to say about it, they might not, depends what their being paid to do i guess.

i think it all depends on the final sound you want to achieve really

audioinjection
16-11-2006, 12:28 AM
well depends what you want in that case, i personally keep my final mix out of the red for obvious reasons, but if i were doing schranz or death core i'd probably be pushing the reds on final mix down. Obviously whoever's cutting the record might have something to say about it, they might not, depends what their being paid to do i guess.

i think it all depends on the final sound you want to achieve really

haha deathcore :P

but i agree with scott, you wanna keep your tracks out of the red, so an engineer can master the tracks properly and give him room to work with......in the end they will be the ones maximizing ur tracks to optimum level

rhythmtech
16-11-2006, 02:31 AM
i've always done 2 final mixes. one for myself to play out that sits around -1/0 (but will probably jump into the red the odd time) and one for someone else to master which i'll try sit at -6/-4.

judas_beast
17-11-2006, 10:06 AM
mmm clipping, nice.

278d7e64a374de26f==