PDA

View Full Version : Midi Controller & Vsti Question

Farnesol
16-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey there.

I'm a N00B. This place looks great.

Maybe you guys could help me out with this one

I have a UC33 midicontroller.. which i use a little bit with abelton.
What I wanna know is, it possible for me to save knobs & slider configuration with each vst i have. Everytime I say add a FM7 into a song the knobs are autmatically assigned in my UC33 on a particular channel or something. I have never really used my midi controller to its full potential but the manual is a bit confusing to say the least. I'm sick of just randomly assigning knobs & sliders. :)

Cheers.

Grenoybel
17-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Hi there, i'm no expert too, but i think that ableton doesn't yet have templates for midi automation control assign to each knob of your controler depending on the vsti or vst that you use.
Maybe it's possible to recall templates from the UC 33 with diferent programs controlling diferent values for each vst that you use, so you can then change on controller and not on the sequencer, but i can't help you with that since i don't have a UC 33.

Probably i didn't explained it right, but english is not my first language.

Good Luck

stjohn
17-11-2006, 03:29 AM
hmm.. im sue theres a way... but for the meantime... you could set a default ableton file to open, set up with an FM7 already on a track... and then midi-fy the controls of the FM7, using the pop out sliders on the midi track.

thing is with the UC33e is that, alot of the midi mappings overlap between presets. by this i mean, on preset 1, the channnel fader may occupy the same midi cc as say, the send knb on preset 4. i made up my own uc33 setup to avoid this so presets 1-4 are all different midi cc's, ...you'll need the Enigma software

UC33 settings:

UC preset 1: 8 Track Mixer with Sends
UC preset 2: 3 band Eq
UC preset 3: Assignable Master / Track FX
UC preset 4: Assignable knobs and faders

midi buttons 1-9: turn fx on or off.

first you'll need to load the Bank to the UC33e. to do this, download enigma form the m-audio website, install it and load this bank:

http://www.chrome-metronome.net/AbletonSetup.xml

clicking the 3rd set of arrows on the top left of Enigma will load the bank to your controller. you have to restart computer to allow ableton to use the UC.

then if you want to use my default:

http://www.chrome-metronome.net/EQ.als

with this setup, each of the 8 channels and 9 midi buttons will be controlled from any of the 3 presets which should be good fdr anything live. the difference in each preset being, in preset 1 the knobs control the send, 2 -> all the 3 band EQs, and 3 -> assignable fx.

there should be no crossover in regards to conflicting Midi CC's, which i why i had to reprogram it at the beginning. you may want to tweak your EQ settings, and set up the FX settings on preset 3 to your liking.

stjohn
17-11-2006, 03:31 AM
if you want to ignore the EQ ableton file, then presets 1-4 will just be fully assignable knobs and faders to do what you want

welcome to BOA mate, and sorry i didnt answer your question properly
:;

Farnesol
17-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you. I just downloaded enigma. So what you are saying is that maybe i can create my own user presets in enigma.. for say some free vst and then just load it when I use that vst in abelton? Is this correct?

thanks for your help so far. I really want to get 110% out of my controller! I have been messing around for too long.

Farnesol
17-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Hmm. maybe i am doing something wrong. I created a new user preset for the UC33 for a VST called Rez. I mapped most controllers, but how do i pull up this presest when i open abelton & load rez?

Farnesol
17-11-2006, 12:01 PM
:briggin:

I found a brilliant way to do this.

Assign all your knobs & sliders manually to whatever VSTi you are using in abelton.
Then SAVE the midi clip. This basically saves all the setup data, including the vst itself. So when I want to use this VST again in a new song all i have to do is drag the midi clip into an emptpy midi channel and voila.. vst opens up with all the knobs & faders pre assigned.

all my vsts will be opened from the clip library from now on!

Thanks for all you help. Maybe this could be of use to you guys too ;)

Farnesol
17-11-2006, 12:16 PM
:briggin:

I found a brilliant way to do this.

Assign all your knobs & sliders manually to whatever VSTi you are using in abelton.
Then SAVE the midi clip. This basically saves all the setup data, including the vst itself. So when I want to use this VST again in a new song all i have to do is drag the midi clip into an emptpy midi channel and voila.. vst opens up with all the knobs & faders pre assigned.

all my vsts will be opened from the clip library from now on!

Thanks for all you help. Maybe this could be of use to you guys too ;)

:censored: i jumped the gun a bit there. this doesnt work.
i will persevre though

stjohn
17-11-2006, 02:13 PM
ahaha ...no worries man..
yea the way i was saying to do it meant you kinda had to know your VST setup and set it to a default ableton file beforehand. which i spose is kinda limiting. ill give it another look in a ibit

278d7e64a374de26f==