PDA

View Full Version : You have a label? I have a question...

Orange
19-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Some releases have two tracks, just an A side and B side. Some have three, with A, B and BB. And some have four or more, etc. So, I'd like to know why? If you have a label, what goes into your decision regarding how many tracks you drop on a any particular record release? Thanx. :eh:

jonnyspeed
19-10-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm not an expert but I think its just personal choice based on what tracks have been done, how many of them are remixes and how many or new tracks. So most punters would expect 2 tracks and maybe one or two remixes in an EP lasting 18-20 minutes in total if you're paying 5 quid and maybe postage. Tell you the truth I'm glad for a couple of remixes on a 12" because its often the b-sides that really pound and clank and make my heart bump! So in my mind as many as you think will attract people to buy it. I've got some killer tracks that are only single sided vinyl and I love 'emand would pay more for them than some albums I've got.

Anyway as I said I ain't an expert :)

dan the acid man
19-10-2003, 09:36 PM
I dont think there are any set rules like jonnyspeed said, its up to the label, one thing i have noticed though is when its a new artist you tend to get 3 or 4 tunes per 12". This is probably because they are,nt established and its more tempting to have a listen to a new artist,s release when its got more than 2 tunes.

Dustin Zahn
20-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Generally the shorter amount of time on each side of the vinyl, the louder and clearer the cut will be. In example, one 6-minute track on a side of vinyl will really sound much better than that track, plus another 5-minute track on the same side. You don't have to pack the grooves as much. Thats generally why a lot of labels are moving towards the new medium of 2 and 3 track releases instead of 4 these days. Genres like jungle have been doing this for quite sometime. I also really enjoy a full-sided record, so if the track is rockin' I would hope it has its own side.

I think the standard is/has slowly become 3 tracks, 1 on the A side, 2 on the B side. It's a nice way to meet in the middle between 2 and 4 track EPs. Other people will also argue its because techno producers are lazy these days and will only put out 2-track EPs to spread it over more releases and make more money. Thats an okay theory, but I think its more bullshit than truth (in most cases).

In my personal preference for putting out on my label as well others, I prefer 3 track EPs. More bang for your back, and it still sounds good.

As for deciding the actual number on each release, I am guessing it just varies from project to project. It all depends on how big you want the release to be (# of remixers, or how known the remixers are), how long the tracks are, how many tracks are available, etc.

Every label owner feels differently about certain releases so it's really hard to say what "seals the deal"

TechnoWhore
21-10-2003, 10:15 AM
I asked about this..apparently, it is to do with the A side being the side most representative of the label. For example, the Acid filled wired sound that is Stay upForever will usually be on the A side. Then the AA/B will be a more experimental (pushing the boundaries of sound ) version that is there to dip one's toes in the water.

Having said this, I bought a techno recorda record that had E side and K side. Now I haven't got a clue what ths is meant to mean...

dan the acid man
21-10-2003, 10:43 AM
e and k side, thats just somebody being different for the sake of it

Si the Sigh
21-10-2003, 10:48 AM
...the E & K sides are found on Getafix Records!

dan the acid man
21-10-2003, 11:33 AM
...the E & K sides are found on Getafix Records!

i,ll let them off then, they make some quality releases, not manged to find any in the shops up here yet though

Si the Sigh
21-10-2003, 11:37 AM
i got the 1st & 2nd releases on promo mate. they are limited to 500 copies (both releases) I have not ever seen a proper release copy. They are wicked tunes though! :clap:

dan the acid man
21-10-2003, 11:44 AM
that will be why i have never seen any then, i will have to start sending flowers and chocolates or something to there offices.

Tony
23-10-2003, 09:47 PM
e & k!!!! theyre not on about alphabetical order you know kids. think about it. :eh: :eh: :eh:

Dave Elyzium
24-10-2003, 01:49 AM
try and stick to 1 track each side on a single release i made the mistake of putting 4 tracks on my first release and found that the louder sections disorted and skipped...proving said earlier comments that alot of newcomers try and squeeze as much as possible onto 12"'s of vinyl...

Tony
24-10-2003, 04:59 PM
obviously lps differ and are cut much lower, but i did have an electro nine tracker on 1 vinyl but the tracks were all short. that way works out good.
its usually on average 12.5 mins a side but then, as we all mentioned earlier, as soon as you start changing then the time parameters change.

jake
12-11-2003, 07:58 AM
i recommend u play the k side after the e side

;)

278d7e64a374de26f==