PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Brands...

TechMouse
23-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I know it's been done to death, but I'm gonna get a Laptop for xmas and I need to decide what kind I want to go for.

I know the kind of specs I'm after, and I'm aware that a decent soundcard will be a must, but past that I'm interested if anyone has any particular horror stories / recommendations with respect to brand.

Firstly, and I can't stress this enough: NO, I'M NOT GOING TO GET A MAC. My reasons are threefold:

1) I don't have the budget for a decent model.

2) I know Windows / Linux inside out at an API level, and I can't be arsed starting from the ground up with a different OS.

3) It will be no good for work. We develop for Windows and Linux systems here, and though most of the time I'll be remote desktopping it would be good to be able to run stuff locally now and again.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I will probably end up getting a Mac one day out of sheer curiosity when I have the funds.

Currently I'm looking at Dell (because I get a 10% discount with them), HP, Toshiba and Sony.

I'd welcome any comments / further suggestions.

Plus - they seem rarer these days, but AMD chips seem to push the price down quite a bit. I ran an AMD for years until my PC finally bit the dust last year, and I was very happy with it. Are they still good value or has this changed?

Barely Human
23-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Ive had a dell laptop for 3 years now. Its been a very reliable machine. AMD proccesors are a lot better imo than intel, but ive never used a laptop with an AMD in to see what they are like. If you want battery life, then the intel M proccessors really do the trick, (My p4 eats battries for breakfast).

Ive heard that toshiba do some good models aswell. Stay away from the usual suspects - acer, compaq etc.

TechMouse
23-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, despite my knee-jerk reaction the Dell option looks pretty good, what with the discount and all.

The only reason I mention AMD is it looks like I can get an HP with a Turion 64 in it for less than the Dell...

Incidentally, anyone know WTF Windows XP Media Center is all about and why that seems to be the default operating system on most laptops?

I'm anxious to get a system with a "proper" version of XP included if poss. I'll make do with a Dell "reinstall" CD if need be.

dan the acid man
23-11-2006, 07:53 PM
For the money, i'd probably go with a Dell, once you've got rid of the software they install for you they're good laptops.
The only problem with Dells is the upgrade options can be fiddly, as they used to use motherboards tweaked and specially made for them, not sure if they still do, but to be honest, all laptops are awkward for upgrading, so it doesn't really matter.

AMD still make great chips, although im not sure how good their mobile chips are.

Intel chips have always been more expensive, and i've always preffered AMD ones, but the new core duo chips by Intel are supposed to be the best on the market at the moment

As for media centre, avoid t at all costs, see if you can change to an xp install.
Media is more for connecting to tv's, recording tv channels etc

RDR
23-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Check theregister.co.uk for a story about a man who clicked on 'No i dont agree' with having windows XP installed on his dell machine, apparently you dont have to accept the OS they provide if you dont want it... he got his money back after contacting Dell about refusing the OS...

Might be just the ticket for that linux install :; :;

Chris.

PS - get a mac... :laughing:

tonyc2002
23-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Ime afraid I have to reccomend Dell as well since I am the proud owner of a Dualcore Inspiron. Its fast as ****, ive had no problems, and am a very happy boy :cheese:

prozac
24-11-2006, 12:53 AM
ive had a dell with a p4 for 2-3 years...very very happy with it till recently. think i may have burned some pathways in the chip from overuse...anyway...
the fans run very very loud even without running any processes (my friends call it the jet) - its noise is comparable to a room of servers...it eats battery (i get maybe an hour of life)... and its pretty heavy too ( but thats cause of fancy graphics cards and wifi chips i suppose)...

media center is for dicks with money, who buy laptops as an mp3 player, to allow them to watch vdeos as well...crap program.

TechMouse
24-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Definitely coming out in favour of the Dell then.

As for media centre, avoid t at all costs, see if you can change to an xp install.
Media is more for connecting to tv's, recording tv channels etc

Yeah, as I suspected. Seems like a rebranding of XP Home to make it sound more sexy, and probably more useless at the same time.

TechMouse
24-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Ooooh, looks like you can get an AMD option on Dell...

Cat well and truly unleashed on unsuspecting pigeons...

FILTERZ
24-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I have a toshiba has never given me any trouble and seems fairly well built .

Jay Pace
24-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Loathe to recommend Dell because of their business model - source the cheapest components possible (which involves low QA) and make upgrades difficult (to ensure upgrades are with Dell)

But despite all this they are cheap, and like Dan said once you strip out all the crap they load on it they're well priced functional machines.

TechMouse
24-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Loathe to recommend Dell because of their business model - source the cheapest components possible (which involves low QA) and make upgrades difficult (to ensure upgrades are with Dell)

But despite all this they are cheap, and like Dan said once you strip out all the crap they load on it they're well priced functional machines.
Yeah, my sentiments completely.

Much as I'd love to get a Sony or a Toshiba with an AMD and run Linux (and only Linux) on it, I think real world constraints are going to tip me over.

Principles are great, but they sure ain't easy.

trainspotter
25-11-2006, 02:13 AM
running sony vgn-fe790..

took forever to actually pick a laptop, found this model just when it came out.

biggest gripe is standard battery that comes with it, drains beyond fast.. obviously i grap the wall-wart everywhere i go but that's the only complaint so far...

heard alot of horror stories of people using sony daw's but really have no complaint except the battery which really doesn't affect me(you can always buy a upgrade battery if needed that holds up better time)

oh and it's white.... man i wish it was black :)

force
25-11-2006, 10:19 AM
ive had no trouble with my dell inspiron 6000, touch wood. (touches side of Dell)

audioinjection
28-11-2006, 07:45 PM
i have the dell inspiron 6000, got it over a year ago, runs solid, no problems at all......i think dell is a good choice

but ive also heard the sony viao laptops are good as well, but i personally dont have experience with them

dirty_bass
30-11-2006, 02:50 AM
I got an Acer (yes, that`s right) with AMD and it has served me very well for my Ableton live PA`s at all my gigs for the last year and a half.

278d7e64a374de26f==