PDA

View Full Version : Filth/Dirtiness in Music

MARK ANXIOUS
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I think I have a point here. If something is filthy and dirty in music, it rocks.. And this appeals to most of the sub genres of techno I think. From the 303 of acid techno to the filth of a mysterious minimal bassline, to the distortion of a hard techno stab. Even when you listen to beautiful techno (ie lovely strings and pads) there's always a filthy hi-hat or disgusting bassline in the somewhere. Or is it just us??

What the hell is it about filth that appeals so much in music?????? Such an interesting discusion I think... hehhe ;)

rhythmtech
02-12-2006, 03:26 PM
i think filth exists in all music thats slightly subversive. its that little "growl" that gives the track its edge. without any edge we may aswell be listening to boyzone. i know that i, as a producer, can appreciate the overall sound quality of a pop record, the producers/engineers are highly skilled people that deserve respect for their craft BUT as a listener it just doesnt excite me.

i think the filth adds some amount of the feeling/soul to the music.

*the above statement does not apply to the following bands:

mystiq, girls aloud, sugababes

they all have enough visual filth to keep me entertained for a long long time (or at least the time it takes to crack one out) :laughing:

xes
02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I think it's cos we're all filthy f*cking wronguns who need to be looked away from the main drag of society :cheese:

fils_here
02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I think it's cos we're all filthy f*cking wronguns who need to be looked away from the main drag of society :cheese:

:laughing: yeh!!

MARK ANXIOUS
03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
actually what a load of shit i write when i am bored hahahha

i was listen to the galaxy to galaxy album in the car and apart from the odd dirty acid line, there's nothing filthy about it at all, but it's still fabulous music. sort of made me think that good music without filth must be quite hard to make.

interesting topic though i think... :cheese:

aggressor
03-12-2006, 10:14 AM
i am just jelous thst you have that album :@

eyeswithoutaface
03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
i wouldnt agree really Mark, there's not that much filth in terms of distortion or distorted dynamics in lots and lots of music within techno. I see what your saying but i think that only really applies to the harder spectrum where some use dynamics well to create atmosphere, whilst some just saturate their tracks in distortion and think it sounds hard and filthy.

Check out anything by John Beltran. Proper music without the slightest hint of filth.

A good example of what you mean though would be numerous UR releases, always a good balance of grit and lushness

djfilthmonger
03-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Ah yes filth in music is great and can be found any where. i find sometimes it can be slow and hard hitting i have the horrorist in mind. creepy stuff,

MARK ANXIOUS
03-12-2006, 12:10 PM
i wouldnt agree really Mark, there's not that much filth in terms of distortion or distorted dynamics in lots and lots of music within techno. I see what your saying but i think that only really applies to the harder spectrum where some use dynamics well to create atmosphere, whilst some just saturate their tracks in distortion and think it sounds hard and filthy.

Check out anything by John Beltran. Proper music without the slightest hint of filth.

A good example of what you mean though would be numerous UR releases, always a good balance of grit and lushness

well yeah scott, read what i said - i do have a tendendy to talk shit sometimes! hehe...

i got that early john beltran album years ago on peacefrog and it killed me. it was actually one of chrissi and i's fave albums..... just beautiful music.....

sure 90% is filth but when something comes along that isnt, but just as good, it's mindblowing..... :cheese:

eyeswithoutaface
03-12-2006, 12:34 PM
he's had some ep's out the past couple of years that are truely amazing, obviously not commercially the new hot stuff in the current market but truely quality tracks from the sequencing right down to the instrumentation and playing. Great stuff

Aratron
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I think I have a point here. If something is filthy and dirty in music, it rocks.. And this appeals to most of the sub genres of techno I think. From the 303 of acid techno to the filth of a mysterious minimal bassline, to the distortion of a hard techno stab. Even when you listen to beautiful techno (ie lovely strings and pads) there's always a filthy hi-hat or disgusting bassline in the somewhere. Or is it just us??

What the hell is it about filth that appeals so much in music?????? Such an interesting discusion I think... hehhe ;)

its also summat about nice chems that bring the dirtyness of the music out. chemo-gnosis.

APC
22-12-2006, 10:36 PM
PUNISH 004. Now That is Filth.

<3 Mistress Diana

bassbin
23-12-2006, 08:16 AM
PUNISH 004. Now That is Filth.

<3 Mistress Diana

lol

Awesome tunage that is :D

Tiptoe
27-12-2006, 04:17 PM
lots of filth about at the minute its great. some really dirty minimal and electro about at the minute. Its great dropping something dirty the women love it. One of my fav dirty tunes at the minute is this
http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platte_details.artist-Sebastien%20Leger.titel-The%20Bug%20EP.articleid-538762.go_back-true.html

2 tracks of pure filth

Sunil
27-12-2006, 06:28 PM
lots of filth about at the minute its great. some really dirty minimal and electro about at the minute. Its great dropping something dirty the women love it. One of my fav dirty tunes at the minute is this
http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platte_details.artist-Sebastien%20Leger.titel-The%20Bug%20EP.articleid-538762.go_back-true.html

2 tracks of pure filth

Are you joking?

Come on, you used to like the good stuff, didn't you?!!
Ah well, if the women luv the du-uurty, filthy dodgy house.. err I mean electro... then who can argue ;)

Tiptoe
27-12-2006, 08:29 PM
No not at all. I think both tunes on there are quality and you can take the piss all ya want. You'd be surprised when i play the odd time on a wednesday in one of the bars i drop slowed down techno in with this stuff and they love it. i drop minimal stuff and it all goes really well together. Electro (or whatever you want to call it) nights are the only nights i am getting the chance to play at at the minute really and i play slowed down techno minimal and electro and by that i mean stuff like this yes but it's ruffer than what most people at them play. And wasn't using women love it to back up its a good record but tell me its not nice to see some lovely women on the dancefloor come on. I do still like my techno and i don't play at electro nights as tiptoe just use reall name cos i don't want people at techno nights seeing me on a flyer for a night like one of the one's i sometimes play at which is a shame really. Me playing stuff like that at those nights and then dropping some more techno-electro stuff is getting some of them in to techno. Forgot what my bloody point was now! Rant over!....................... oh and i do think this vinyl is ruff i don't care what ya say!

Sunil
28-12-2006, 12:24 AM
No not at all. I think both tunes on there are quality and you can take the piss all ya want. You'd be surprised when i play the odd time on a wednesday in one of the bars i drop slowed down techno in with this stuff and they love it. i drop minimal stuff and it all goes really well together. Electro (or whatever you want to call it) nights are the only nights i am getting the chance to play at at the minute really and i play slowed down techno minimal and electro and by that i mean stuff like this yes but it's ruffer than what most people at them play. And wasn't using women love it to back up its a good record but tell me its not nice to see some lovely women on the dancefloor come on. I do still like my techno and i don't play at electro nights as tiptoe just use reall name cos i don't want people at techno nights seeing me on a flyer for a night like one of the one's i sometimes play at which is a shame really. Me playing stuff like that at those nights and then dropping some more techno-electro stuff is getting some of them in to techno. Forgot what my bloody point was now! Rant over!....................... oh and i do think this vinyl is ruff i don't care what ya say!

I get ya, but personally I don't consider this stuff "dirty" or "filthy" by any stretch of the imagination. The main track on this for instance, is like a remix of that "Bodyrock"(?) tune that was huge this year - and that's big room Ibiza gear. So the bass in this constitutes 'dirt', but I don't feel that at all... it is far too civilized and pop like, to be considered "dirty". Meh, I don't know what's up with everyone these days :)

Tiptoe
28-12-2006, 12:29 PM
sunil its you man get with the times lol! Like i say it aint the sort of thing i'd play at darkside but was funny when i played in liverpool last month i dropped some of this stuff and it went down really well. Seen Paul Jackson at my mates night a couple of month ago and he was really good crossing between techno and electro house. Was a really tuff set! oh and i prefer second tune on the vinyl think its got a bit more to it.

dubs
29-12-2006, 05:07 AM

I think that sound is quite aggressive and that goes well with dance clubs. I don't mean in a negatively aggressive way. Techno, Breaks, House, Electro etc etc can all be aggressive but also very beautiful. Both work well but there is more released that is aggressive imo.

DannyBlack
18-01-2007, 01:28 PM
i love filth in music, always have. was (and still am) a massive fan of the 'punk' movement and as you know it is possibly the filthyest of all music movements.

i cant explain why i like filth... filth gets my addrenalin going big time.

278d7e64a374de26f==