PDA

View Full Version : Filters - Your Opinion....

MARK ANXIOUS
03-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I used to be totally into filter plugs and my old trusty Sherman, but recently I've found myself using the Ableton Auto-Filter all the time with a bunch of distortion plugs... Hmmmm that surely is not good.... Sure it's easy and totally hands-on but I'm finding at the moment that I can tell an Ableton filter a mile off.

What are your guys fave hardware and software filters and why?

Obviously you need a massive character too your filter in a track, but it's all a trade off between CPU, ease of use and sound q, and the filter is one of the key ingredients to a good progression in the sound...

Interesting to know your thoughts here...

loopdon
03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
i have an electrix filterfactory as hardware but it is not really integrated into my setup. i could run some stuff through it for you though, if interested. i have checked loads of vst filters. i will prolly might write something more helpful on this subject later. You might not have heard of some new vst filters that might add some new spice to your filter moves :) meaning to test run them all asap:

http://www.expdigital.co.uk/downloads/press/gflux_screengrab.jpg

http://www.expdigital.co.uk/products/gflux.htm

AND:

http://www.fabfilter.com/images/screenshot_simplon_full.jpg

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/simplon.php

rhythmtech
03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
i have the fabfilter 1 synth.. they're stuff is unbelievable!!!! the filter on it is awesome so this one will be checked.. thanx LD

loopdon
03-12-2006, 06:51 PM
i have the fabfilter 1 synth.. they're stuff is unbelievable!!!! the filter on it is awesome so this one will be checked.. thanx LD

you should check simplon's big bro as well, volcano and their new delay 'timeless'. superb company.

Electrictribe
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
been using the glfux lately. got quite a nice sound to it. Great for low passing bass.

Miromiric
05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
not that much into filters, maybe occasionaly when djing, but always did find filter delays nice to my ears. probably the best unit i've heard is that reaktor's fx, can't recall it's name, it is one of few FXs from the original bank.

machina
05-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Sherman filterbank... or the brilliant dark horse of the filter world - the frostwave resonator.... sounds better than any filter i've laid eyes or ears on.

machina

Jay Pace
07-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Sherman for me. Love it to pieces.

Makes everything sound fat, just running samples through it with a little bit of overdrive makes everything gooooood

theledge
07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Has anyone used the OhmForce filter (Frohmage, i think), I used to use it a lot and really rate it

audioinjection
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
i still want to get myself a sherman filterbank

Jay Pace
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
i still want to get myself a sherman filterbank

I love it to pieces. You can properly jam with it, get inspired, get weird and wonderful results and just breathe life into the most basic loops and synths.

vadarfone
15-12-2006, 01:48 AM
sonalksis TBK is nice (although I wish the resonance setting was a knob and not a 4 stage switch... I always want something between the settings :S)

loopdon
17-12-2006, 11:33 AM
sonalksis TBK is nice (although I wish the resonance setting was a knob and not a 4 stage switch... I always want something between the settings :S)

it may not be the technically best filter and it is so overpriced but two things set it apart, imo:

(+) output volume stays the same as input volume.. (auto-gain)

(+) resonance is linked to filter cutoff... (i believ it might be kinda following fletecher-mundson curve or sth. or maybe just sth. like filter goes / and res goes \ so lows have more res and highs less? dunno, but that IS interesting for a geek like me

RDR
17-12-2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.sonalksis.com/images/tbk/tbk1.jpg

i own this plugin... its awesome.

BloodStar
17-12-2006, 12:06 PM
TBK is very good filter. Dead easy and good sounding.

Would be nice if there would be a resonance knob, as wormjar already said,.

loopdon
17-12-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.sonalksis.com/images/tbk/tbk1.jpg

i own this plugin... its awesome.

just seen it ain't *that* expensive after all. how is this 'grime' plugin?

"The pricing of Creative Elements has been adjusted, and to show our appreciation to our existing customers, currently registered users* of TBK will recieve a TBK2 license FOR FREE!

* The offer is available to users with a registered TBK transaction made before 2006-10-02 from Sonalksis or Sonalksis partners. "

another plus i think: being able to switch between note/hz --> nice one!

vadarfone
19-12-2006, 01:55 AM
thats cool they are giving away the tbk2 but to be honest, I tried it and didnt really like it. Visually it is the same thing as the tbk but with a silver dial.

I could just never imagine using it in any tracks I make...

Obviously that is just me. The sound for what it does is good though, if not a little too strong.

Andy
25-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Sherman for me. Love it to pieces.

Makes everything sound fat, just running samples through it with a little bit of overdrive makes everything gooooood

Agreed!!! :)

I finally got a sherman FB2 a few weeks back

great fun to use and always sounds wicked. can make the most boring loops interesting

Ive also been using my Virus B for a clean filter FX unit, sounds very nice! - If any of you have a virus give it a try

Ritzi Lee
25-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Akai Mfc42

loopdon
25-12-2006, 07:25 PM
@ritzi:

wanted to get that one from turnkey as it was on special offer. buggers didn't even bother to reply to my email. jerks.

Ritzi Lee
26-12-2006, 01:05 PM
@ritzi:

wanted to get that one from turnkey as it was on special offer. buggers didn't even bother to reply to my email. jerks.

Well I advice you to just get yourself to a good audio shop, and first test it out yourself. And take it. :) That's what I did.

loopdon
26-12-2006, 04:00 PM
i would have got it without testing at the time. i have the electrix filterfactory so no real need anyway. it was just a bargain price at the time. i reckon thomann.de is well good enough in every aspect. who needs turnkey anyway, hehe

Jay Pace
26-12-2006, 04:42 PM
who needs turnkey anyway, hehe

Me!

i bought most my studio using their interest free credit deals. Haven't found anywhere else where you get a year to pay off the balance interest free.

That and they have a european price match guarantee - so arguably they are the cheapest around.

Best to call them, they can be useless on email. And i've waited for over 20mins to talk to someone in the shop before, then eventually gave up on the useless cunts.

loopdon
26-12-2006, 06:29 PM
i was joking... i was just a little upset at the time:)

but thomann does a bloody good job as well. and they send to the UK as well.

after doing the pound - euro conversion things are often not quite as cheap asthey initially look.

would have loved the unit anyhow. i kinda like filters. really.

Jay Pace
26-12-2006, 10:33 PM
who are thomann? Not heard of them before... are they good?

loopdon
27-12-2006, 05:25 AM
http://www.thomann.de/

i rate them highly...

278d7e64a374de26f==