PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Wireless router

stjohn
04-12-2006, 01:44 AM
sorry for all the questions but this is wreckin my head.

I have a Linksys wireless router, hooked up to my modem. I installed the software (altho i wasnt sure what i was doing) on my main machine, so my mother could used the tinternet on her laptop, but of late, its been giving me a few problems. i get a popup message that says ' system Error - IP conflct on the network" .

I also have to rebot the modem a few times, to get the net cnnnection working, and more often than no, MSN Messenger cannot connect because it cant find an IP address for the computer.....

any ideas how i can set this IP address so i dont have to gthrough this nonsense everytime?

thanks
rory

MangaFish
05-12-2006, 12:28 AM
surely a wireless router shouldnt need a modem hooked up to it for it to connect. especially not a big brand like linksys. or maybe i'm getting the wrong end of the stick here?

snooch
05-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I think you are thinking of the wrong end. The wireless router has to get a connection from somewhere. I have to hook mine up to the ISPs modem to broadcast. St. John I would try to re-install the wireless from scratch. Start the process over from the point of taking it out of the box just to make sure you cover all the steps.

dan the acid man
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
yeah, some routers have inbuilt modems, some don't.

make sure you have dhcp enabled so it automatically assigns your ip numbers.

although im sure i read somewhere a while back about one of the linksys routers having a few problems like this, will have a look around and see if i can find it again, what model number is it ?

MangaFish
05-12-2006, 08:30 PM
tbh i thought all wireless routers had inbuilt modems (hence them routing them signal rather than just being hubs). Obviously this isn't the case then

dan the acid man
05-12-2006, 10:13 PM
well some are used to route from one lan to another, but yeah, most of the smaller ones now have inbuilt modems for connecting to the net.

278d7e64a374de26f==