PDA

View Full Version : Dave Clarke - Devils Advocate

Esox Lucius
21-10-2003, 11:06 AM
his new album, opinions?

personally I think it's a load of shite, nothing new or even a bit appealing on it, sorry mr clarke but that's a piss poor effort.

ampassasinbirmingham
21-10-2003, 12:19 PM
not massive on it either

Sunil
21-10-2003, 01:34 PM
his new album, opinions?

personally I think it's a load of shite, nothing new or even a bit appealing on it, sorry mr clarke but that's a piss poor effort.

But what did you really expect? he's not a groundbreaking producer anymore, and with this in mind I think he's done quite well. For what it is i think the album is good, some very accessible tracks on it, it's gonna do well I reckon

Esox Lucius
21-10-2003, 02:02 PM
he never has been a ground breaking producer imo, he has made some excellent tracks in his time, but I wouldnt say any of them were groundbreaking (imo)

EmotionComplex
21-10-2003, 03:25 PM
from what ive heard from dave clarke his stuff has been of gtood quality and carried a certain sound throughout but everythin i have heard has been pretty safe, it wouldnt hurt to take more risks

EmotionComplex
21-10-2003, 03:28 PM
holy crap i posted in the techno section :shock:

im sorry guys i wont do it again :cry:

Sunil
21-10-2003, 04:17 PM
he never has been a ground breaking producer imo, he has made some excellent tracks in his time, but I wouldnt say any of them were groundbreaking (imo)

For want of a better word groundbreaking is the nearest I could come! some of his earlier material plus Reds 1 and 2 are vintage techno tracks.

DJPAUZE
21-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Reds 1 and 2, pure gold!

Pauze :twisted:

ampassasinbirmingham
21-10-2003, 05:58 PM
re 3 =even better!!!

but im sticking with techfunk. abseluteley nothing special on this album.

It will do veruy well. as everyone who loves dave clarke will buy a copy, and all the dj's like fergie will cane the album.

eyes without a face
21-10-2003, 08:18 PM

ive gotta say it john that comment made me laugh a great deal, no one can say that the Red series were not groundbreaking. As u said that is ur opinion, but that really is a highly amusing and somewhat bewildering comment. I know that your not Clarke's biggest fan but you are into your techno and i would of thought that you would have recognised just how important the Red Series and some of Dave other earlier productions are, even if you dont like them. They may not be as essential now, but at the time those records, especially Red 2 and Red 3, virtually defined the techno genre!!! im one of his biggest fans but im the first to admit that his productions these days dont have the same impact on the scene as they used to, maybe because he is (arguably) the biggest name in techno and the more commercial that an artist gets then the more commercial his/her sound evolves into, but the Red series really did kick things off for not only DC but also the scene that we know and love now. They were released in 1995, 8 years ago and at the time i dont think even Dave himself could of realised the impact they had or were due to have in years to come.

anyway, about his new album. errrrr.........

not sure what to make of it to be honest, its a little hit and miss with me. I like the single Way of Life, and the track that begins with a D (intense sorta intro that doesnt kick in). He started his live set with that track in creamfields and it impressed me alot. There are a couple of other tracks on there that i liked, but overall the album didnt get me excited in the way that id hoped (no pun intended). The productions spot on of course, and everything seems to have been prepared and produced with a great amount of care, but overall it doesnt live up to the hype for me. Which is a shame really

Esox Lucius
21-10-2003, 08:57 PM
hang on scotty, I think all the red series are quality, I just dont think they were groundbreaking.

eyes without a face
21-10-2003, 09:01 PM
i know m8, i just really have to disagree with that.

Esox Lucius
21-10-2003, 09:03 PM
fair enough mate, just down to opinions innit.

eyes without a face
21-10-2003, 09:30 PM
wonder how this album will sell? there has been a fair amount of promotion and i think that alot of people will purchase the album due to the fact its been years since Archive 1.

Wonder if it will chart?

Esox Lucius
21-10-2003, 09:34 PM
cant see it getting into the charts, but I reckon he will shift a good few, it's on skint which is a popular label and fairly mainstream (ish).

I can see it going down with people who occasionally like a bit of techno/electro, but are more into other styles.

and then there will be a good few people who will buy it just because it's dave clarke.

eyes without a face
21-10-2003, 10:14 PM
i dunno, i can see it shifting shit loads what with all the hype and its a long awaited release thats for sure, i think it might get into the top 40, top 75 for sure id say

MARKEG
21-10-2003, 10:29 PM
look at all the hype on this album. it's all over radio 1, it's all over everywhere actually. walked into hmv leeds recently and it was in prime position within the dance stuff. it's going to do well indeed and that's not down to the music but instead the promotion. skint know how to manipulate the commerical industry. and that's why dave clarke joined them.

anyway

i got the album about 4 wks ago on promo from skint and i have to say that i thought the 'production' on it was good. really good in places. i really quiet enjoyed some of the tracks in the car (but would never play them out in a club). the problem here with this album was programming. absolutely terrible. there was no concept, no feel to the track selection. it was like a bunch of 12"'s thrown together with the odd hip-hop/electro thing in between to make it look credible, to make it look like an album. i enjoyed it for the 70 minutes it was on, it made me think (and I do like Dave Clarke's style in places), but i really didn't want to listen to it again. in fact, the only reason it went on twice was because I'd forgotten my CD case and it was the only thing in the car.

techno albums annoy me at the moment. there's no concept, journey or feel. it's all done to make money. and this is quite obviously what this was made for.

it annoys me that the only ppl who can make albums these days within techno are the artists that are with the big labels. there's no love, no real passion for the sound, and this falls into that category.

maybe i'm wrong. i hope so. but then again, we're not likely to get a response here from DC, or are we? i sincerly hope so.

eyes without a face
21-10-2003, 10:57 PM
youve summed it up very well there mark, the album has no flow!!! there seems to be no constant theme or feel to the tracks, it does feel like a collection of singles (or potential singles). Im pretty confident the album will make the top 40, infact id put money on it. Skint is a big label, and its gonna sell bucketloads i think. Its not a total disapointment to me as i do enjoy some of the tracks but id really like to say that id play them out, but i wouldnt, barring Way of Life.

your correct about techno albums, the last really decent techno artist album that i heard was probably Speedy Js last album. The next album i await (and hopefully wont disapoint like this one) is Ade's album due out early next year i think. He's got some wikid guests lined up on it

Willy_Wonka
21-10-2003, 11:27 PM
So, has anyone had any threatening e-mails yet?

Sunil
22-10-2003, 12:27 AM
there's much of what's been said here that i agree with, and i probably won't be rushing to put it the album again either. Devil's Advocate is like a compilation of the different styles Clarke likes, there didn't seem to be a 'feel' to the album, and it didn't really build or go anywhere, there are a lot of good dancefloor tracks on it though, again I wouldn't play them myself though.

There's very few albums with new, fresh concepts these days, that's why I thought the slamming of Liebing's album here was pretty uncalled for, i mean he did try!! How many people are actually putting out techno albums though? Very few. It's mainly the more successful producers that are in the position to have the luxury of an album. I guess it's a money and reputation thing also, as albums for smaller techno labels are a big enough risk to take if you are attempting to do something new or diverse and aren't as well known.

But if the bigger profile producers like Clarke can feed ok-ish albums to the mass techno buyer where do you go from there? Maybe the 'underground' techno market isn't allowing there to be albums, the whole emphasis is on how many playable tracks in a club you'll get from the record. Is there an incentive or even opportunity for cutting edge producers to release albums unless they are with a big label? I reckon there could be a glut of amazing albums waiting to get out there, but there's not enough open minded techno fans to reward the good stuff.

Patrick
22-10-2003, 09:20 AM
So, has anyone had any threatening e-mails yet?

:lol: :clap: :lol:

Well, all the necessary factors are there again........

Patrick
22-10-2003, 09:23 AM
The next album i await (and hopefully wont disapoint like this one) is Ade's album due out early next year i think. He's got some wikid guests lined up on it

So is it a compilation album then ?

eyes without a face
22-10-2003, 03:36 PM
err no its Ade's debut artist album, with a few really talented friends/guests of his. wait and see i guess!

re: Clarkes new album

i think everyone is so far getting the same impression from this album, its a collection of tracks rather than an album (if u know what i mean). No ones saying its not good, there are some really decent dancefloor tracks on there, but as a whole i dont think it works. But thats just my opinion of course, and as someone mentioned at least Clarke is one of few actually putting out albums and making the effort.

i dont think anyone will be recieving any nasty emails off him tho, i dont think he would do this to anyone on here as no one has slagged him off, they are opinions and im sure Dave wont take these to heart anyway

jake
12-11-2003, 07:55 AM
most people don't like clarke very much on this board but everyone likes to talk about him a lot :eh:

Esox Lucius
12-11-2003, 07:57 AM
most people dont like to bring threads up from last month aswell ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==