PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mills - Live At The Liquid Room - Tokyo... to be remembered 4 ever

Picanzo
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
http://www.discogs.com/release/9459

07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
That is a delicious mix. The slightly dodgy mixing doesn't detur from the enjoyment at all.

I'm still trying to get some tracks I really like from this mix such as "Changes of life" as well as Advent "Bad Boy". I spoke to Advent on myspace to ask about this track. Unfortunatly he states he has no plans of repressing this in the near future which makes me sad. Both above mentioned tracks are great in that they have a real energetic 1992 vibe to them.

On the bright side, Jeff Mills repressed "Suspense" which I am extremely happy about. I was after that ever since I heard it for the first time in this mix. Unfortunatly its not a very dynamic track, the energy level drops off almost immediatly which is probably why he mixed out of it so fast. I rather wish the track which he followed it up with in this mix was part of Suspense.

fac
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
That is a delicious mix. The slightly dodgy mixing doesn't detur from the enjoyment at all.

I'm still trying to get some tracks I really like from this mix such as "Changes of life" as well as Advent "Bad Boy".there u go:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=17518
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=10706
u could get that advent lp much cheaper at ebay tho.

ds2
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=4842

:;

08-12-2006, 03:10 AM
there u go:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=17518
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=10706
u could get that advent lp much cheaper at ebay tho.

Krikey! I think its all those good reviews. Maybe I should refrain from saying good things about the 12"s there, it just drives the price up to rediculous.

08-12-2006, 03:11 AM

Yeah thats the release I want. Too expensive and I need a US seller as I don't have paypal.

rotten
17-12-2006, 08:05 PM

have this one. soooooooooo timeless and everytime again a real pleasure to listen to.

and the cd: gosh i love it!!! was one of my first "real techno" cds.

davethedrummer
15-01-2007, 09:52 PM
brilliant mix
the cut to the piano of changes of life is just hilarious
it's so out but it's so in at the same time

just pure energy all the way

DannyBlack
19-01-2007, 12:38 PM
i saw mills in 'ten' in waterford a couple of years back, savage night but the DJ box was so high up i couldnt trouble him for an autograph... blast!

fac
19-01-2007, 03:13 PM
fanboy :briggin:

romelpotter
26-01-2007, 10:46 PM
dj skull 187 skillz is amazing, drifts out of time at the start hense the poor (but oh so good :) ) mixing with bad boy!!

i have every tune off this mix and they will be the only records i will keep if i sell my collection!

MangaFish
31-01-2007, 07:07 PM
i must be the only person that thought this mix was overrated.
Some good moments but all in all i've heard much much better

sisherlock
31-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Probably are.

Electrictribe
01-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Some good moments but all in all i've heard much much better

only going by memory of hearing it years ago. tunes were good but mixing was aweful. Remember we turned it off about half way through cos the mixing was so bad. could be drug induced memories though :laughing:

MangaFish
01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
No, the mixing really is that bad.

I'm by no means anal about mixing. I couldn't care less if theres a few sloppy mixes, but then it sounds like the whole set has been randomly thrown together and not even beatmatched at that - i have to wonder what the appeal is.

Sorry guys - just my personal opinion

t-dj
07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
That mix was certainly not intended to be perfectly beatmatched, its a snapshot of a live fireworks at a techno party that was off the hook.
Many people - especially newcomer djs - failed to understand what the term "energy" in there consists of. Later on they started chasing these tracks down cause they finally understood the content. The fact that Mills can charge 5 digit number dj fees and gets a full house in 95% of his shows in the real world proves online talk wrong any time. But yeah "that guy can't mix" etc blah blah...go on.

MangaFish
14-02-2007, 11:23 PM
That mix was certainly not intended to be perfectly beatmatched, its a snapshot of a live fireworks at a techno party that was off the hook.
Many people - especially newcomer djs - failed to understand what the term "energy" in there consists of. Later on they started chasing these tracks down cause they finally understood the content. The fact that Mills can charge 5 digit number dj fees and gets a full house in 95% of his shows in the real world proves online talk wrong any time. But yeah "that guy can't mix" etc blah blah...go on.

I understand all that (always have done) - i just don't think that mix is all that.

i've heard of plenty of off the hook sets with heaps of energy without resorting high bpms. sets with bag loads of energy, progression and quality tracks and better beatmatched. Granted beatmatching isn't everything, but this particular set just doesn't tick enough boxes to make up for it short comings.

I'm by no means calling Jeff a crap DJ. He clearly isn't. I just think this mix is massively over-rated.

drift9
28-02-2007, 06:06 PM
personally, i used to loooooove this mix when i had it ages ago. but i lost it about 7 years ago. Back then i knew the mixing was rough but it still got me jacking every time. I'd love to hear it again to see how it stands up (hopefully it's better than his exhibitionist...) but can't find the sucker anywhere. blast...

Siege
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I remember hearing this years back...i think it was one of them sets you had to be there, to appreciate fully,but yeah the mixing was f*cking terrible. If you listen to the dvd he brought out where hes mixing in the shop window,the mixings pretty similar.
I love his style,concept and ideas..playing snippets of god knows how many trks in a set,but personally for me it needs to be tight.

speedticket
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Peeps seem to be 'too' technically correct about Mixing.. Techno's about 'not giving a F^%k' and going full force. So what if parts are out? The whole mood and feel of that mix totally overpowered any technicalities in the mixing, infact it even aded to it.

Jay Pace
11-06-2007, 12:19 PM
The sloppy mixing adds to the general esoteric style
This would have been worse if he was clinically precise about everything.
The urgency and energy comes from a sense of struggling to keep things under control. Its electric

There's more to djing that getting records perfectly in time...

dirty_bass
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Mills can be hit and miss. But he is right on the edge when he is working. And this is why.
It`s real seat of your pants stuff.
When he gets it right, it is truly amazing and intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLanIfR13A

But you do have to be there.

SlavikSvensk
11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
i'd rather hear a raw, daring mix than a seamless, boring one

speedticket
12-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Mills can be hit and miss. But he is right on the edge when he is working. And this is why.
It`s real seat of your pants stuff.
When he gets it right, it is truly amazing and intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLanIfR13A

But you do have to be there.

I never get bored of listening to Purpose makers.

Microdot
29-07-2007, 05:02 PM
most over rated mixtape ever....

Craig_Lea
30-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Still love this to be honest.
I'd say the mixing was more frenetic than messy.

However The Exhibitionist, that's just a shambles, and extremely disappointing.

drift9
30-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Still love this to be honest.
I'd say the mixing was more frenetic than messy.

However The Exhibitionist, that's just a shambles, and extremely disappointing.

yeah, The Exhibitionist is utter doodoo. Still scratching my head as to how they decided to release something so poor.

Craig_Lea
31-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Still scratching my head as to how they decided to release something so poor.

I know, it defies belief.
Fortunately I've never bought many sloppy mixes, but this definitely stands at the top of the pile.

MARK ANXIOUS
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
i havent listened to this since the days when it was released but i doo know one thing - it blew me away. if you're just into beat mixing and getting shit in time, this sucks. but the thing that made me freak over this was just the sheer chaos. an almost two fingers up to normality. every other dj was about simple 3 minute mixing but mills, well it was just revolutionary. all the tracks went together in there own way and oh so quick.

i'm sure it sounds crap now, but back in the day, it was amazing...:cool:

Microdot
05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
i havent listened to this since the days when it was released but i doo know one thing - it blew me away. if you're just into beat mixing and getting shit in time, this sucks. but the thing that made me freak over this was just the sheer chaos. an almost two fingers up to normality. every other dj was about simple 3 minute mixing but mills, well it was just revolutionary. all the tracks went together in there own way and oh so quick.

i'm sure it sounds crap now, but back in the day, it was amazing...:cool:

having already heard mills play a whole bunch of times, including his legendary set at the Lost when Basic Channel played live, I found this mixtape to be a major dissapointment.....

Izz
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I loved it. Well, still do. Yeah, the mixing was untidy but was balanced out by the outstanding selection of tunes. Which matters the most to me when I listen to a set.

davethedrummer
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
yeah it's really not about the mixing at all
but if you listen there are plenty of subtle moments with 2 copies where he's really got it going on but he's just not making a big deal out of it.

no really what it is, is that the tracks he plays are pretty dull on their own
and mills just brings it all to life and gets it kicking by doubling up , cutting in and out
and splicing musical phrases together in real time to create unique grooves from pretty un-dynamic records

maybe he had more technically perfect nights
but he nailed it with his sheer energetic force of will on this mix.

lunatrick
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
this was the first mix I heard which made me start listening to techno properly.......I'd never heard anything like it.....he does take a bunch of basically boring loops and make them sound exciting....I've seen him a few times and he is hit or miss but unique in his style......

RDR
07-12-2007, 08:47 AM
but if you listen there are plenty of subtle moments with 2 copies where he's really got it going on but he's just not making a big deal out of it.

and mills just brings it all to life and gets it kicking by doubling up , cutting in and out
and splicing musical phrases together in real time to create unique grooves from pretty un-dynamic records

maybe he had more technically perfect nights
but he nailed it with his sheer energetic force of will on this mix.

100% I've said it before and i'll say it again, I am 200000% sure that mills makes mistakes on purpose, not all the time, but the mistakes are toooo regular for a DJ of his calibre to be doing that much. He's said it before that his 3 ring circus is just that he'll use the bass of one record, the middle form another and the treble from another and switch between the two.

for alll the haters i challenge any of them to mix and CREATE which is what he's doing, that well. I dont give a monkeys about mistakes here and there. Its the honesty, dynamism, vitality and funkiness of that performance that shines like so many others fail to do.

Loop
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Peeps seem to be 'too' technically correct about Mixing.. Techno's about 'not giving a F^%k' and going full force. So what if parts are out? The whole mood and feel of that mix totally overpowered any technicalities in the mixing, infact it even aded to it.

QFT and Word.

This CD is one of very few that makes it possible to feel like your in that room with the people, in front of those speakers. Critiqing the mixing misses the point lads.

acidguru
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Absolut classic that is..Listened twice a day to that when it came out..

teknofilth
14-02-2008, 06:21 PM
all about the energy for me too that mix..
..curious why so many people seem to slag off Exhibitionist though - as a showcase for techno I think it's a good one - funky into hard, ok not so much variety in loops but so many people seem to slate it..is it because you're expecting another liquid rooms or?

AcidTrash
16-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Underwhelmed on every level.

AcidTrash
16-02-2008, 08:16 AM

Any chump can do that and its easy.

lunatrick
16-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Any chump can do that and its easy.

the concept of 'trolling' is lost on this man - you're supposed to pretend to be someone else when you do it not log as yourself!!!! ;-)

AcidTrash
16-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Thats my opinion and I stick by it.

Jay Pace
16-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Fair enough.

A bit like going to the tate modern and saying "its all bollocks, I could do that"

Its an opinion...

AcidTrash
16-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Fair enough.

A bit like going to the tate modern and saying "its all bollocks, I could do that"

Its an opinion...

LOL. Im not going to start a flame thread on this. There are more things deserving of my time than the merits of Jeff Mills.

I just think its all a bit emporers new clothes. Really nothing to write home about.

Any time ive bought a record of that ilk, or jeff mills tune its been a pretty uninspiring loop where you're not against the clock for a feature in the records and all he's doing in the vid is fast mixing with that kind of record which as I said, any chump can do.

As for doing things with the same record, jesus, any two identical records have phse shifting flanges and it even more likely you're going to get offbeat phrases out of them when theyre just loop tech house.

As for phasing dynamics, thats the whole point of DJ'ing is it not? Its the reason we dont just make a loop on a drum machine, turn it on and leave it.

Really nothing special. Seen as good if not better in back rooms of village halls and in my own living room when any DJ pop[ing in for a cup of tea cared to grace my decks.

No big deal, get over it.

Jay Pace
16-02-2008, 07:10 PM
No worries.

Some people think mondrian is just a bunch of squares (could do it with a ruler) and pollocks is just paint splats (made a mess on my floor that looked better)

Its an opinion...

AcidTrash
16-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh and by the way, if you went into the tate and looked at say a Jackson pollock and said, thats shit, I could do that you'd be talking shit. Some chump with two or three record players... really.... no big deal.

Two slightly out of phase records does interesting shit. ANy one of us here could get the same effect.

Aratron
16-02-2008, 09:38 PM
maybe i should post up some of my first mixes under old pseuodynm Bear Davros

rhythmtech
17-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Davros

i fukin knew it was you abusing me on banging tunes!!! :rolleyes:

Aratron
17-02-2008, 12:56 AM
i fukin knew it was you abusing me on banging tunes!!! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shit!!! ya got me dude!!!

sorry about that!! in the past eh???:eek:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1134856/1202605317891.jpg

rhythmtech
17-02-2008, 01:07 AM
:eek: :angry: :hissyfit: :rolleyes: :lol: :tongue: :smile: :wink: :biggrin:

Aratron
17-02-2008, 01:15 AM
:eek: :angry: :hissyfit: :rolleyes: :lol: :tongue: :smile: :wink: :biggrin:

water under the bridge

AcidTrash
17-02-2008, 08:40 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shit!!! ya got me dude!!!

sorry about that!! in the past eh???:eek:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1134856/1202605317891.jpg
BRILLIANT!!!!

theledge
17-02-2008, 01:17 PM
absolutely brilliant mix, one of my first proper techno mixes too and a massive influence to me when i was learning to mix techno

bollocks to getting it exactly beat timed, i loved the energy of that mix and still do, cut'n'pasted all over the shop, lovely, you can virtually feel the people bouncing off the ceiling

unfortunately every time ive seen mills live he's played more or less the same set, still enjoyed it though

Aratron
17-02-2008, 02:20 PM
absolutely brilliant mix, one of my first proper techno mixes too and a massive influence to me when i was learning to mix techno

bollocks to getting it exactly beat timed, i loved the energy of that mix and still do, cut'n'pasted all over the shop, lovely, you can virtually feel the people bouncing off the ceiling

unfortunately every time ive seen mills live he's played more or less the same set, still enjoyed it though

have you got a copy of this mix. has anyone i would really like to hear it for myself.

i have only seen him play on a youtube video and he played live with this orchestra. im sure you guys have probably seen it.
i had a mix of his aswell which was very eclectic, technically brillaint and very creative. lost it tho.

theledge
18-02-2008, 07:13 PM
have you got a copy of this mix. has anyone i would really like to hear it for myself.

i have only seen him play on a youtube video and he played live with this orchestra. im sure you guys have probably seen it.
i had a mix of his aswell which was very eclectic, technically brillaint and very creative. lost it tho.

got it on cd, dunno if it still works it's been kicking about my room for years, i will try and scan it in this week sometime and let u know

Microdot
18-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh and by the way, if you went into the tate and looked at say a Jackson pollock and said, thats shit, I could do that you'd be talking shit. Some chump with two or three record players... really.... no big deal.

Two slightly out of phase records does interesting shit. ANy one of us here could get the same effect.

you're the only one who's talking shite there son.

AcidTrash
18-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I dont agree at all. Knowing when to stop when you have an infinite palette and getting colour balance right is one thing, especially when jusdging space and light but two ro at a pinch three record players with a bunch of records which meet a predefined criteria is really not much to write home about. It an experience I quickly tire of. Its musical plate spinnig to me. fun but overrated as an art. Prodcution on the other hand is one thing that doesnt necessarilty get better with practice. some people truly have the gift for it. others are just fakin it and sucking up the cred from the naieve. Myself included.

If you're referring to what I said about phase shifting and flanging, that';s just basic physics. it happens whether you're trying or not and chimps could do it.

Not even impressed by the speed of mixing. If you're skills are up to date then it should take no more than 10 second to match a format you're familiar with. as for the inaccurate chops... might be water walking to you but to me it sounds plain lazy.

Jay Pace
18-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Its really simple.

A huge number of people who know a lot about music and performance and love techno think he's pretty special and they rate him highly. Thousands of other people love seeing him perform, and know nothing except that they think he's great.

You don't.

So yeaaaah, maybe we're all wrong.

Or maybe you just don't get it.

AcidTrash
18-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Or as you keep saying, a person is intellignet, people are stupid and personality cults are never any measure of taste. For one who has not been mesmerised and watched from an analytical perspective I reserve the right to say I think its a load of toss and do not feel in any way diminished for not hearing more of it.

Jay Pace
18-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't say he's a personality cult.

He's a funny one though. Sometimes he's pretty rubbish, but when he gets it right its sublime and it honestly feels like he's channeling the spirit of techno - proper laugh out loud stunning stuff that takes over the whole crowd. Never quite been as wrenched about by a dj as I have seeing Mills.

Still pretty crushing when you go see him and he's toilet.

force
18-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I dont agree at all. Knowing when to stop when you have an infinite palette and getting colour balance right is one thing, especially when jusdging space and light but two ro at a pinch three record players with a bunch of records which meet a predefined criteria is really not much to write home about. It an experience I quickly tire of. Its musical plate spinnig to me. fun but overrated as an art. Prodcution on the other hand is one thing that doesnt necessarilty get better with practice. some people truly have the gift for it. others are just fakin it and sucking up the cred from the naieve. Myself included.

If you're referring to what I said about phase shifting and flanging, that';s just basic physics. it happens whether you're trying or not and chimps could do it.

Not even impressed by the speed of mixing. If you're skills are up to date then it should take no more than 10 second to match a format you're familiar with. as for the inaccurate chops... might be water walking to you but to me it sounds plain lazy.

LOL LOL LOL

Coming from somebody who referred to his acid techno as 'Mediocre' in an earlier post

:haha:

You flatter yourself!

AcidTrash
19-02-2008, 08:46 AM
The acid techno I make is. Whats your point?

Sorry chuck. Crash and burn.

theledge
19-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned eh pete, doubtless for your shameful lack of appreciation of classic techno dj sets

dirty_bass
26-02-2008, 12:45 AM
I dont agree at all. Knowing when to stop when you have an infinite palette and getting colour balance right is one thing, especially when jusdging space and light but two ro at a pinch three record players with a bunch of records which meet a predefined criteria is really not much to write home about. It an experience I quickly tire of. Its musical plate spinnig to me. fun but overrated as an art.

Ok I acutally see what your saying here, and to be devils advocado, I do agree to a degree.
The "DJ" as some super skilled god ethos is dead.
Once everyone bought decks and worked out just how easy it is, that was bound to happen.
Mixing records is a fairly easy skill to master.

However, Mills was there first (ok not first, but you get my point ), and changed the nature of DJ ing. He brought the cut up of hip hop and did it live, with something you could still actually dance too (as opposed to turntablism).
It`s his effect that has earned him his legacy.
There was a before Jeff Mills, and an After Jeff mills, and things defintely changed.
This mix was essentially the flag stuck in the ground that marked this point, in a way.

Regardless of how you think now about it, it did what it did, and it definitely had an effect that essentially anyone involved techno today, is riding on the ripples of, no matter how small those ripples, they are undeniably there in some way. From his labels to his mixing, Jeff Mills influence is there.

I don`t own 1 Mills record. I`ve never dug his tunes at all, but I know that his music has influenced people who`s music I do like, who have in turn influenced or inspired me, so just by that example alone, it shows the effect this "chump" has.
Even acid techno has a bit of mills in it `Trash, so indirectly, your digging mills.

And I am also divided on Mills.
I have seen him at his very best, and I was so stunned at one point in the night, that I stopped moving, and just observed what was happening, both in what he was doing, and how the crowd was being worked, and I was completely (and soberly) blown away. A never ending crescendo of a mix that pretty much levelled every single one of the 2000 people on the dancefloor at some point, for 4 hours, you could see peoples faces, everyone was trying to ride the crest, but pretty much everyone at some point had that "****, he`s done me" look at some point.

I`ve also seen him when he sucks, blowing all the mixes and playing predictable tunes, but that is the nature of how he works. It`s off the cuff and seat of your pants.

So yes, I think Live at the Liquid rooms has pretty much secured itself legendary status within techno circles, and I`m not even sure I like it that much, but it`s status is deserved and undeniable.

Si the Sigh
27-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Amen.

ritaheed
27-02-2008, 01:54 PM
am away to buy this.....n c wot aw the fuss is aboot

ampassasinbirmingham
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESBdvsWM0k

check this then, look how quick he mixes changes of life in!

Lag
14-03-2008, 08:51 AM
yeah, The Exhibitionist is utter doodoo. Still scratching my head as to how they decided to release something so poor.

what?
it is utter pwnage!

Lag
14-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Ok I acutally see what your saying here, and to be devils advocado, I do agree to a degree.
The "DJ" as some super skilled god ethos is dead.
Once everyone bought decks and worked out just how easy it is, that was bound to happen.
Mixing records is a fairly easy skill to master.
u dont dj, do you?
beatmatching is a easy skill to master, yes, but djing =/= beatmatching.

eyeswithoutaface
14-03-2008, 11:01 PM
jesus guys

i've been reading this thread in the shadows

it's more anal than my copy of "Backdoor Boys Volume 13 : More Boys with Backdoors"

Frank Dogshit
15-03-2008, 03:12 PM
it's more anal than my copy of "Backdoor Boys Volume 13 : More Boys with Backdoors"

worrying

ritaheed
16-03-2008, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESBdvsWM0k

check this then, look how quick he mixes changes of life in!

quality vid!!!

mattboyslim
16-03-2008, 12:03 PM
the drop into DJ Funk - Run is almost perfect, then he balls it right up. Still love it though. As has already been said, the energy in this mix has virtually been unrivalled for over 10 years. If you're bothered about the mixing you're totally missing the point

ritaheed
07-04-2008, 12:31 PM
finally got ma hands on this - ****in luv it!!

"i9" by mills is sum tune - sum belters on it.....just typical jeff mills fast as **** mixing - nice tho

expensive from discogs tho

djbuzzbe
09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
first time i heard this mix it blew me away just raw to the core techno ,it aint the best mixing but the excitment and the energy of the mix makes up for it

Technologic
19-08-2008, 09:49 AM
100% I've said it before and i'll say it again, I am 200000% sure that mills makes mistakes on purpose, not all the time, but the mistakes are toooo regular for a DJ of his calibre to be doing that much. He's said it before that his 3 ring circus is just that he'll use the bass of one record, the middle form another and the treble from another and switch between the two.

for alll the haters i challenge any of them to mix and CREATE which is what he's doing, that well. I dont give a monkeys about mistakes here and there. Its the honesty, dynamism, vitality and funkiness of that performance that shines like so many others fail to do.

Cubism innit, well, almost.

I haven't heard this album in a very long time, but i do remember being blown away by it when i heard it, just never got around to picking up a copy.

elektrik chicken
28-08-2008, 12:17 AM
if your a fan of techno and you dj you just wish you had the skillz of jeff mills
for any 1 who's seen him play live like i have you'll know that he's got a lot more up his sleave than just mixin 2turntables i'd like to here you guys do a set of 3 or 4 deck mixin, mixin at a rate of 1 track every 30seconds or so!!!!!
lets see how seemless your mixin is then!!!!
any1 going to take up this challeng cos i'd love to hear the out come....

DJPAUZE
17-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I remember hearing this years back...i think it was one of them sets you had to be there, to appreciate fully,but yeah the mixing was f*cking terrible. If you listen to the dvd he brought out where hes mixing in the shop window,the mixings pretty similar.
I love his style,concept and ideas..playing snippets of god knows how many trks in a set,but personally for me it needs to be tight.

Agreed, I am all about the mixing. I was quite suprised that he released this actually. I have seen many other sets that were much tighter.

All in all, great track selection, terrible mixing.

romelpotter
21-01-2009, 02:10 PM
I have done a quick search but not found anything tnagable that I can get hold of to show you guys but search for

Jeff Mills aka The Wizard Wizard mix 1980s Detroit Radio broadcasts

Utter brilliance for the most of it but their remains the old adage of some good, some not so good! its just how it is!!

But it shows the art of the dj and the art of the mix.

Patrick DSP
21-01-2009, 11:31 PM
I have done a quick search but not found anything tnagable that I can get hold of to show you guys but search for

Jeff Mills aka The Wizard Wizard mix 1980s Detroit Radio broadcasts

Utter brilliance for the most of it but their remains the old adage of some good, some not so good! its just how it is!!

But it shows the art of the dj and the art of the mix.

will these do?

http://www.detroittechnomilitia.com/main/content/view/261/0/

Wizard Mixes

http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_1.mp3 Wizard Mix 1 - 31:19
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_2.mp3 Wizard Mix 2 - 21:45
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_3.mp3 Wizard Mix 3 - 50:41
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_4.mp3 Wizard Mix 4 - 25:12
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_5.mp3 Wizard Mix 5 - 30:05
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_6.mp3 Wizard Mix 6 - 13:10
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_7.mp3 Wizard Mix 7 - 28:27

romelpotter
21-01-2009, 11:47 PM
will these do?

Wizard Mixes

http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_1.mp3 Wizard Mix 1 - 31:19
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_2.mp3 Wizard Mix 2 - 21:45
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_3.mp3 Wizard Mix 3 - 50:41
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_4.mp3 Wizard Mix 4 - 25:12
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_5.mp3 Wizard Mix 5 - 30:05
http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_6.mp3 Wizard Mix 6 - 13:10

http://www.detroittechnomixes.com/mixes/wizard/The_Wizard_86to89_7.mp3 Wizard Mix 7 - 28:27

haha, is right mate!! nice one.

I am gonna love listening to these! I have an mp3 somewhere on my comp that my mate got me on to!! Not heard it in ages! Bring on the wizard!

loving that site by the way!! happy days!

SlavikSvensk
29-01-2009, 08:01 PM
will these do?

Wizard Mixes

awesome!

for all you michigan-literate folks, the wizard = a bit of ANN ARBOR history :;

gunjack
11-02-2009, 02:06 AM
yea the wizard is jeff playing whatever the f uck he wanted at the time GREAT SHIT.

hardacid
14-03-2009, 02:12 PM
any1 fancy upping this so we can hav a listen? cheers in advance

278d7e64a374de26f==