PDA

View Full Version : Interfaces

TechMouse
11-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Just got a new laptop...

It's got PCMCIA, USB and FireWire (800) interfaces.

Anyone have any opinion as to which is better to use for audio?

FILTERZ
11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
not really an opinion just a statement , i use a motu 828 over firewire and have had no problems with it at all even though my laptop doesn`t have a native firewire port it works fine through a firewire card connected through pcmcia .

They all do the job quite well as far as i can tell .

TechMouse
11-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, instinctively I feel the FireWire option might be better.

TechMouse
11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Next question then: anyone know anything about the support for FireWire pro-audio interfaces under Linux?

force
11-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Next question then: anyone know anything about the support for FireWire pro-audio interfaces under Linux?

No idea about linux mate.
Just wondered what laptop you went for in the end

TechMouse
11-12-2006, 04:06 PM
No idea about linux mate.
Yeah, I thought I might find myself out in the cold alone on that one!

Just wondered what laptop you went for in the end
Well, after a lot of looking at specs and weighing up prices and stuff I ended up going for this one:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/Contents/Toshiba_uk/EN/SERIES_DESCRIPTION/images/hri_EQUIUM_A100.jpg

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/productPage.do?PRODUCT_ID=122808

Which I must say, I'm quite happy with so far. It feels pretty nippy, though of course I'm not really pushing it yet. Plus it's rather sexy, especially with the blue LEDs.

Windows Media Center Edition is a bit of a pain, and I've managed to shoot myself in the foot by not making sure it came with a proper CD. You just get this shocking "image" CD which re-instates the original install. (Including "Get AOL!" icons and everything). This takes around 30 minutes, but I've found I install Unbuntu Linux inside of 10 minutes, so the penguin is winning at the moment.

I've just found out you can get ALSA drivers for the Firewire audio card I'm looking at (Edirol FA-66), which is a plus.

Must say, Linux has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I took a look. The install is, if anything, less painful than the last time I installed XP. You just download a Live CD, run it, double click the "install" icon and it does most of the hard work for you.

force
11-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Lovely lookin machine dude!

A friend of mine is always going on about Linux, but i must admit i've never run it myself.

You cant go wrong with the blue led's though

FILTERZ
11-12-2006, 07:14 PM

http://linuxaudio.org/en/index.html

try here

dan the acid man
11-12-2006, 07:47 PM
unbuntu is great, going to use it at work from now on i think

TechMouse
13-12-2006, 03:39 PM
unbuntu is great, going to use it at work from now on i think

I was seriously impressed with how painless the install was.

Makes Windows NT 4 look like the krypton factor.

278d7e64a374de26f==