PDA

View Full Version : Out of Space sample origins

Clit Commander
18-12-2006, 01:32 AM
So everybody's heard it a million times by now. Liam did it with Prodigy back in the early 90s, Lee Scratch Perry featured it on a record of his as well, and then there is Max Romero with "I Chase the Devil." Oh, and surely a million other bootleg copies. I can't count the times after the bar where my friends and I have gotten into a huge debate over where the sample originated from. Can anybody help us settle this once and for all?

Here's how I see it, and could be wrong...
Max Romero originated it with "I chase the devil," then I figure Lee Scratch Perry and Liam Howlett sampled it. The debate stands that I am wrong on the Max Romero origination, and I choose to believe Liam sampled it from Max Romero, although my friends tend to believe Liam sampled it from Lee Scratch Perry, who they also believe coined it. Liam claims he took it from Max Romero so I think I've got to be at least half right.

xes
18-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Naah,it's definatly from Max Romeos Chase the Devil. No doubt at all.

"I'm gonna put on an Iron shirt,and chase the devil out of earth
I'm gonna send him to outa space,to find another race"

That is where it is origionally from. And I must say,it is one proper cool track aswell. :)

I have this on my phone aswell :cool:

Electrictribe
19-12-2006, 01:40 PM
yes agreed defo max romeo chase the devil.

detfella
22-12-2006, 09:05 PM
i think the max romeo track is a lee perry production.

Sunil
23-12-2006, 01:23 PM
i think the max romeo track is a lee perry production.

You're right, it's on the "War Ina Babylon" LP, produced by Lee Perry.

http://www.discogs.com/release/163696

Sunil
23-12-2006, 02:22 PM
You're right, it's on the "War Ina Babylon" LP, produced by Lee Perry.

http://www.discogs.com/release/163696

It's listed as "I chase the devil" on that LP version, but it's the same song. I think most of Max Romeo's stuff would have been Lee Perry/Upsetters produced.

detfella
23-12-2006, 08:27 PM
It's listed as "I chase the devil" on that LP version, but it's the same song. I think most of Max Romeo's stuff would have been Lee Perry/Upsetters produced.

yeah, lee perry (& king tubby) used to make loads of dubs, then get people in to sing over the top. thats why there are so many reggae tracks that use the same dub. even today reggae uses a similar technique, those dancehall greensleeves albums, use 1 rhythm throughout and get different artists to sing over the top. kinda like stock car racing, everyone gets a standard and have to show what they can do.

278d7e64a374de26f==